walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three more Donalds ticked off

Three more Donalds ticked off

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat May 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch, Blairdenon Hill, King's Seat Hill

Date walked: 25/05/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 21.6 km

Ascent: 1293m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast good, so early start called for, head over to Tillicoultry and finish off the Ochil Donalds. Arrived at Upper Mill Street carpark and ready to go by 0700hrs, Route taken, The Law, Ben Cleuch, Blairdenon Hill, Ben Buck, Ben Cleuch, Andrew Gannel Hill and King's Seat and return down the South West shoulder to pick up the path heading to Mill Glen. Dry and sunny and I was hoping there would be no need for the gaiters between Ben Cleuch and Blairdenon Hill.
1.JPG
From the carpark at the top of Upper Mill Street, take the track on your right and almost immediately there is a path with steps on your left
2.JPG
Looking back over Tillicoultry
3.JPG
Very soon on your left you can see the quarry with extensive workings
4.JPG
Another view over Tillicoultry
5.JPG
The first sign of the Law, by all accounts a steep climb, we shall see. One path is blocked off because of a rockfall, but you carry on and cross the burn at the wooden bridge, and after the bridge a small scramble to start the climb up The Law. Today the underfoot conditions but if wet care would be needed over the wet and slippy rocks, not a place to rush.
6.JPG
Looking down a section of The Law
7.JPG
View of Ben Cleuch from the summit of the Law. Time well inside the hour
8.JPG
Information plaque on the top of Ben Cleuch, top reached 1h15mins
9.JPG
Blairdenon Hill and Ben Buck from the summit of The Cleuch. Head off following the fence on your right and head towards Ben Buck and then head on down the South West shoulder following a feint track in line with Bengengie Hill (line through with the scree and that will allow you to miss most of the peat hags between the two hills
10.JPG
Scree slopes of Bengengie Hill, head off in that direction to follow the feint track, the track then turns beyond the peat hags and heads towards Blairdenon Hill, follow to the summit
11.JPG
Zoom view od Ben More and Stob Binnein from the summit of Blairdenon Hill
12.JPG
Blackford from the summit of Blairdenon. Time 0920hrs
13.JPG
Andrew Gannel Hill and Kings Seat from the South East shoulder of Ben Cleuch
14.JPG
The Lomonds from the summit cairn of King's Seat
15.JPG
Heading off the South West shoulder of King's Seat
16.JPG
Mill Glen

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
17.JPG
View up The Law from the route off Kings Seat, back at carpark 1230hrs
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Three more Donalds ticked off

Postby Gordie12 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi Rod

I had a good day when I did Andrew Gannel & Ben Cleuch but it was a bit hazy so the views over the Forth weren't great - looks like you had better luck than me. Still to do Blairdenon Hill so useful to see your timings.

Had to settle for parking up at Carnoustie railway station today and taking a wander up the cycle track towards West Haven - only two or three miles but really enjoyed it on a great afternoon.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 26, 2013 6:57 am

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

I had a good day when I did Andrew Gannel & Ben Cleuch but it was a bit hazy so the views over the Forth weren't great - looks like you had better luck than me. Still to do Blairdenon Hill so useful to see your timings.

Had to settle for parking up at Carnoustie railway station today and taking a wander up the cycle track towards West Haven - only two or three miles but really enjoyed it on a great afternoon.

Hi Gordie, it was beautiful morning, but a bit hazy for distant views. I had hoped to nip up Dumyat afterwardsbut was put off by seeing the crowds going up The Law and also at the finish, decided to keep it for another day as I know it's a very popular hill. I do like these early bright mornings though, gives you time to relax in the garden afterwards with a well deserved cool beer :D How's your feet standing up? I must say I'm pretty impressed with your daily distance covered, I don't know if my feet would take that sort of hammering.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:36 am

You do get such fine views all round from the Ochils and the Law feels like such a workout. Have still to do Blairdenon and Innderdownie and then I will have completed the Ochils Donalds.

I always avoid Dumyat at the weekend... especially a sunny one! :lol:
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Gordie12 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:26 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

Hi Gordie, it was beautiful morning, but a bit hazy for distant views. I had hoped to nip up Dumyat afterwardsbut was put off by seeing the crowds going up The Law and also at the finish, decided to keep it for another day as I know it's a very popular hill. I do like these early bright mornings though, gives you time to relax in the garden afterwards with a well deserved cool beer :D How's your feet standing up? I must say I'm pretty impressed with your daily distance covered, I don't know if my feet would take that sort of hammering.

Spent all week in the garden and managed a couple of miles in Carnoustie late yesterday afternoon - probably tells you all you need to know about the state of my left foot!!

One week's holiday left before I head back to work so hopefully I can get the boots on this week and head off somewhere.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun May 26, 2013 2:26 pm

Good report & photo's, I have to admit I have never been up in the Ochil's & they are only a stones throw :oops:
One excuse I could use is I didn't have an OS map, can't use that anymore, so will definitely head that way in the next couple of months :D
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Sarah86 wrote:You do get such fine views all round from the Ochils and the Law feels like such a workout. Have still to do Blairdenon and Innderdownie and then I will have completed the Ochils Donalds.

I always avoid Dumyat at the weekend... especially a sunny one! :lol:

Ta for that Sarah, I will take what you say on board re Dumyat, there is such a thing as a hill being too busy, if you know what I mean :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun May 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Good report & photo's, I have to admit I have never been up in the Ochil's & they are only a stones throw :oops:
One excuse I could use is I didn't have an OS map, can't use that anymore, so will definitely head that way in the next couple of months :D

Thank's Fife Flyer, I had never been on the Ochils before this month, and really, I did not know what I had been missing, once your up there you can walk for miles with wonderful views and such a choice of routes, your a lucky man having them so close, make the most of them. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby gmr82 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:58 am

Nice walk isnt it Rodmeister? Had to double check when I did it - 3 months ago, it feels a lot longer!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon May 27, 2013 1:49 pm

gmr82 wrote:Nice walk isnt it Rodmeister? Had to double check when I did it - 3 months ago, it feels a lot longer!

It certainly was gmr82, many thank's for your report :) , I also had great difficulty following the track between Ben Buck and Blairdenon but as I said in the report managed to take a line from the crags onBengengle Hill. You probably had it worse than I did, much wetter and with still some snow lying about. But like you really taken with the Ochils, and to think I had never been there until this month. What's next?
The Rodmiester
Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland