walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morrone

Morrone

Postby litljortindan » Sun May 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 25/05/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 480m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An easy walk with good views of snowy Cairngorms. Most folk seem to do this from Braemar but we started from the landrover track up the south side. I enjoyed this walk, my second visit, but my wife didn't particularly care for it apart from the summit view and the woodland on the north at the bottom.

DSCN0237.JPG
near the top. looking north to the Cairhgorms

DSCN0249.JPG
view south

DSCN0244.JPG
Cairngorms zoom

DSCN0243.JPG
me and the dog

DSCN0255.JPG
descending to Braemar

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Morrone

Postby Sean0510 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Great report guys! Morrone is a beauty! Looks like you had a good day for it too. Bagged it myself a couple weeks back and I couldn't believe the views - just stunning!
Sean0510
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:9   

Postby litljortindan » Mon May 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Sean0510 wrote:Great report guys! Morrone is a beauty! Looks like you had a good day for it too. Bagged it myself a couple weeks back and I couldn't believe the views - just stunning!

Yes, it gives really good views of the Cairngorms. Even my wife got excited by the view when she saw there was still snow there. Difficult to capture what the eye sees on photos and video though but still able to pick out a couple of the bits I'm familiar with -Devil's Point and Ben Macdui.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby RicKamila » Mon May 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Love Morrone!! What did the conditions on the hills look like around Loch Callater?
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby litljortindan » Mon May 27, 2013 4:29 pm

RicKamila wrote:Love Morrone!! What did the conditions on the hills look like around Loch Callater?

I think that area appears very briefly on my video clip at around the 3:12 mark. A bit of snow high up but otherwise largely snow free.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby RicKamila » Tue May 28, 2013 2:43 pm

litljortindan wrote:
RicKamila wrote:Love Morrone!! What did the conditions on the hills look like around Loch Callater?

I think that area appears very briefly on my video clip at around the 3:12 mark. A bit of snow high up but otherwise largely snow free.

Exactly the area I was looking for. Cheers :thumbup:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland