walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Five summits in the Ochils

Five summits in the Ochils

Postby Sarah86 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:25 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Innerdownie, King's Seat Hill

Date walked: 17/05/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had planned this circuit for a while and last week with the sun shining we headed off. It was much warmer and sunnier than the forecast had stated and both me and my sister ended up with burnt arms. We decided to leave the dog at home for this as it would have been a bit much for her especially in the heat. We didn't pass a single person and the gentle breeze made it pleasant to sit and enjoy the top of each summit.

Lots of campers

Summit one reached, Bank Hill with a view to Kings Seat

A very clear path from Bank HIll to Kings seat, very straightforward

Summit 2, Kings Seat

Looking on to our next target, Tarmangie, I was dreading this ascent but it wasn't as bad as it looked

Almost there

Looking back to King's Seat

A nice gentle looking path to Whitewisp

Views over to the Glendevon area

Summit view from Tarmangie

Looking back to Tarmangie

The walk over from Tarmangie to Whitewisp was the easiest section of the day. Summit of Whitewisp

Heading down to the final summit of the day, Saddle Hill

Views over to Fife from Saddle HIll

The last section of this walk down from Saddle Hill was not enjoyable at all. The ground wasn't great for walking and there was no path. At the end of a long walk it was very tiring.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Re: Five summits in the Ochils

Postby RicKamila » Sun May 26, 2013 1:02 pm

I really need to start getting out into the hills again. No hillwalking since January and Im feeling quite unhealthy as a result :(

We were staying in Falkirk recently and could see the Ochils from our hotel. They look really nice, even when covered in a light mist. Even better when driving under them towards Tillycoultry. Really need to make an effort to head down that way and walk them.

Looks like you've had a nice day out there Sarah and Sis. Lovely photos as usual. Whats the castle in the last photo?
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Sarah86 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:29 pm

That is Castle Campbell, situated at the top of Dollar Glen, you can go in for a walk round. I know what you mean, I didn't do much hill walking over the winter and it is not every day we do walks like this so they can always be a bit of a challenge. The ochils are great hills and there is always a different route to find, just because some of them are smaller they can still be tough little ones :)
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Postby naepace » Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Great walk that Sarah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled to get out the Saddle lol
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon May 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Great wee hills, like you I bumped into a group of D of E campers at the base of King's Seat, they had camped overnight on Andrew Gannel Hill and were heading on up KS. Looks like a very popular area, I guess it calls for an early start to the days hillwalking. I must go back soon. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby davedanson28 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Great wee report and some cracking photo's! :clap: Well done and you certainly had the weather! :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Sarah86 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks, it always makes a difference when the sun is shining and we did have an early start (well early for us :lol: )

So glad I am not the only one either naepace, I was ready put my camera in my bag and just roll down lol
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Postby dtaylor5632 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Seems like you had the perfect day for it! Great pics:) The Ochils are in my back garden and often when I have spare time I take a wee wander up :)
dtaylor5632
Scrambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland