walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Mounth 3 Munros

White Mounth 3 Munros

Postby sarahhowardstone » Mon May 27, 2013 7:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr

Date walked: 24/05/2013

Time taken: 11.25 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a day on Friday!!!

Niel, Storm (Munro Bagger Dog) and I set off from the car at 8.30 am to attempt the White Mounth Munros Circuit - Glen Muick. Keep in mind this was only my second day out climbing the munros and I only had 1 under my belt - Beinn Dorain.

We headed down the path towards Broad Cairn looking over at Lochnagar on the right - it was covered in mist at that time in the morning. Storm was excited by all the Deer and thought it would be excellent to play, however, she as on the lead, so no joy.

Going up the zigzag path towards Broad Cairn I began to think - what I have done here this is harder and longer than Sunday. However, I realised that it was just different from the previous munro and hills I had climbed.

We reached the summit of Broad Cairn and I had such a sense of wonder - the views were amazing and awe inspiring. When we climbed Beinn Dorain there was no view due to the fog. The sense of achievement was amazing and Niel was so proud of me that this encouraged me to continue on.

We continued on to Carn Bannoch which was the next one on the list for the day. We reached the summit around 1.5 hrs after the first. This was amazing, as it also offered views that were outstanding.

After a few photos and a small bite to eat we set off for Carn an t-Sagairt Mor. I was starting to flag a little at this point I seem to remember but Niel encouraged me again but did say that he had to remind himself that I was only on my 2nd, 3rd and 4th munros. I suggested we crack on get to the 4th munro of the day as it was about 3.15 pm at this time.

Off we set down the hill, up and over the next little hill seeing the wreckage of the plane that had crashed all those years ago. Standing at the bottom of the valley we had a conversation about cutting down the valley towards Allt an Dubh Loch and the path out, as I was definitely starting to tire. We agreed this was a good idea and that we would return another day to complete Lochnagar and Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach. This was a BIG MISTAKE.

We set off walking through the heather, snow but then came the bogland which continued for what seemed like an age. We then had to cross 3 large wider streams and any smaller ones. Eventually we reached the path by the Loch after many hours. At this point we expected the descent to be quicker as it was on a path, however, this was not always the case.

After just over 4 hours we reached the house by Loch Muick and the path where we would have come down if we had climbed Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach. Niel had stated several times by this stage that it would have been quicker to do the climb and come down the planned route.

We continued to walk along the road towards the other end of the Loch, all the time checking our phones to let our partners know we were OK. This took another hour after the descent. We then walked round the end of the Loch and managed to get a signal at 9.15 pm. I quickly rang to let everyone know we were OK and was informed they were extremely worried as they had not heard from us for 6 hours!!! Mountain Rescue was an option for them I understand at this point, if we had not rung when we did.

The car was still in the car park when we got back there at 9.45 pm and was a sight for sore legs and feet. Taking our boots off, I found I had a bruised big toe nail but did not have any idea where it had come from. So back in the car with crisps, cold drinks and also something sweet we headed home - this was a 2 hour drive.

All in all I had a excellent long day, Niel was patient, understanding and encouraging. I feel so proud of myself and have learned so much about Munros in the 4 I have done now. They are all so different from each other and offer different challenges. Now starting to think about the next one, so it has not put me off at all.
Attachments
IMG_5593.JPG
Niel at the summit at Carn an t-Sagairt Mor
IMG_5591.JPG
Summit of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor
IMG_5581.JPG
Summit of Carn Bannoch
IMG_5572.JPG
Niel in the snow
IMG_5570.JPG
In the snow
IMG_5568.JPG
Niel at the summit
IMG_5564.JPG
Summit of Broad Carn
IMG_5540.JPG
Walking up towards Broad Carn
IMG_5498.JPG
Start of the walk
sarahhowardstone
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: White Mounth 3 Munros

Postby quoman » Mon May 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Well done Sarah,thats a big walk for your 2,3,4 hills :clap: :clap:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Tomsie » Mon May 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Well done on what you got done.
I descended into Loch Dubh too but could see the bog and stayed high plus the river was only half width it should have been.

Well done again on a long slog
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Bob the Dog » Mon May 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Well done you - a big walk indeed, especially since you'd only done the one before!
A bit of encouragement from your walking partner does you the world of good, and just taking the time to enjoy the sense of space and wildness of the place sets you up for planning the next, and the next, and the next!

Hope I get to meet storm some time! She looks smashing! Woof woof!
:lol:
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Postby niel686 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 am

Great trip report Sarah more in depth than mine lol well done
you do the reports i will provide the pics :D
niel686
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   

Postby caris39 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:27 pm

A fabulous report darling, well done. I have got some catching up to do haven't i??
Very proud of you and Niel and our dog Storm. :D :clap:
caris39
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby trekpete » Thu May 30, 2013 10:18 pm

You will get hill fit in no time and Niel will have you doing The 7 on The South Glen Shiel Ridge before winter sets in :lol:
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland