walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A afternoon and night in Breadalbane (2)

A afternoon and night in Breadalbane (2)

Postby Collaciotach » Sun May 26, 2013 7:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Meall Ghaordaidh, Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 26/05/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 450m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ella Walker was born at Old Duncroist in Glen Lochay 1905 and raised with the Gaelic tongue. Her father was from Ardeonaig, and her mother from Doire Camus in Glen Lyon and both parents were Gaelic speakers. Ella also had valuable knowledge of the history and customs of the people of Braigh na h Albainn and it was she who told that the cleared township of Tirai lies just across the burn from her birthplace , was cleared by James Wyllie,factor to the 1st Marquis of Breadalbane a cruel and evil man.

There is no record of how many of the Clann Dairmid were ethnically cleansed from this site during Fuadach nan Gaidheal . What we do know is that the significance of the fear brighe was lost with them

DSCF6866.JPG
Fear brighe Tirai

Friday late afternoon and i was once again in Braigh na h Albainn with the intention to climb Meall Ghaoraidh and once I dragged myself away from Tirai I found her a delightful wee hill

DSCF6836.JPG
Meall Ghaoraidh

In one and a half hours ..... bha mi air a mhullach :clap:

DSCF6853.JPG
Mullach

We were on the roof for about an hour lazing about in the tea time sunshine grand sealltainn all round

DSCF6852.JPG
Beinn Labhair

DSCF6863.JPG
Gleann Lochaidh agus Creag Mhor is Sheasgairnaich

Agus air ais aig a char aig sia uairean ..... back down at the car for six and a quick switch over to Glen Lyon and pitched the car at Loch an Diamh intending to do Stuchd an Lochan & Meall Bhuidhe next morning.

however

After dinner at 8.15 pm I set off with an cu, up the track toward Meall Bhuidhe ... feasgar bragha gu dearbh it is a quick " streap "

DSCF6890.JPG
Loch an Diamh

By 9pm I was on the druim and heading for a late evening Munro :D

DSCF6894.JPG
Druim

DSCF6896.JPG
Druim agus greine a dol sios

There was a wee gaoithe blowing from the North and good sharp atmosphere ,clear all round with the sounds of Summer in the night air as I reached the Cárn in time for sundown

DSCF6910.JPG
Cárn

We were about 20mins on the carn taking in the atmosphere .... bha an gealach tighinn a mach agus bha I lan :D

DSCF6905.JPG
Gealach

DSCF6912.JPG

A supposedly boring hill but we found it just grand at the time of night ,back at the car for 11.45 pm for a nights sleep in the front seats .

Sia uairean anns a mhadainn .... six in the morning and off up Stuchd an Lochan another topper of a day Loch an Diamh is flat calm

DSCF6918.JPG
Loch an diamh

A dhaithghearr bha sinn air a druim .... another quick hill on the ridge in no time with the top in sight

DSCF6927.JPG
Stuchd an Lochan

DSCF6932.JPG
Loch an Cat

Then on the summit for 8am on a glorious morning

DSCF6937.JPG
Air a mhullach

So a different take on three sometimes described as boring hills we enjoyed them immensely

I m haunted by the lost people of Braigh na h Albainn and their empty homes still hold more significance for me than ersatz "british culture" which has attempted to replace our heritage here in the Ghaidhealtachd

Cha bhi fios aire math an tobair gus an tràigh e

DSCF6867.JPG
Fuadach nan Gaidheal
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: A afternoon and night in Breadalbane (2)

Postby andyfitz » Mon May 27, 2013 10:12 am

A very very fine report indeed. Informative and well expressed sentiment. I have no doubt I will reflect on this when next in the area. Cheers.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby markthespark » Mon May 27, 2013 11:53 am

Brilliant views, both photographically & culturally.
A sad reflection on a period of our history when financial greed was more important than human decency.
Thanks for sharing :clap: :clap:
markthespark
Walker

Munros:17   

Postby kevsbald » Mon May 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Not boring at all. A sense of sadness in that report.
Thanks for posting.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 27, 2013 8:02 pm

Very interesting and so good to see these hills in such god weather - enjoyed your WR - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Clach Liath » Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 pm

I agree with the previous posts. I think it is important to understand the historical and cultural context of the hills. Good and interesting post. Thanks.
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon May 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Two stunning days and one stunning evening and a good call to go up Meall Bhuidhe in the evening. Another great history lesson from you as well :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Collaciotach » Mon May 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Two stunning days and one stunning evening and a good call to go up Meall Bhuidhe in the evening. Another great history lesson from you as well :D

Cheers a bhalaich had a great time on these and could spend days in ruins tis in the blood :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland