walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Alligan & The Horns

Ben Alligan & The Horns

Postby Fcfraser » Mon May 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 26/05/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In Love...
IMG_0301.JPG

Wow! still elated at this clamber up a fabulous mountain that I have sat and watched from my wee "Bolt Hole" in Gairloch...
IMG_0257.JPG

We had a late start ... due to my determination to having the "Full Scottish" which included the fabulour Aultbea Black Pudding... yummy, complete with bacon, egg and potato scone!

Car park at InverAlligan was full, so secured a place at the side of the bridge, much to the disgust of the "Bobble hat brigade" where clearly, it was ok for them (?) ..... however, lucky old me managed to secure a place in carpark as a car left..... :clap:
IMG_0258.JPG

The path up is excellent, very well kept, up and over the deer fence, which, I have to say, last time I went up I can't remember how I got my trusty hound Troika over, I can only assume that there was a gap in the fence for him!

The views were spectacular, every time I looked back, they just got better! a big patch of snow on the final haul up, and wow!!!! looking over to Skye and beyond, personally, in recent times, looking Skye wards, had a sore feeling.....but not anymore, I could look Skye in the eye, and feel at peace.
IMG_0259.JPG
Yup... Still snow & deep

So having "bagged" Tom na Gruagaich (Hill of the Damsel) 922m ... down we came to follow the well defined path up Sgurr Mhor ((Big Peak) (986m) .. again the views opened up all around absolutely astounding scenery.... 360 deg. views.... awesome, for want of a better word!!

Then to tackle the Horns, have to say I was a bit sceptical, not being the best "scrambler" but encouraged by my "rock chick" Robyn, I thought why not....
IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

Technically.... a dawdle, if I can do it.... anyone can! not a real challenge, and enjoyed the challenge! The photos make it look scarier than it was !
IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG
Don't Look down Fi!...Wailing Gap!

IMG_0283.JPG

The hill was busy, guessing because it was Bank Holiday weekend. What is it about some folks on the hill, that can't even say hello? a certain age group, usually wearing a certain type of hat, but really..... it costs nothing to say hello! (mini rant! :( )
IMG_0289.JPG

I wasn't prepared for the descent off the horns, having done the walk clockwise.... maybe I should have studied the various books, blogs and maps more thoroughly, it was a long slow clamber down over the rocks, not difficult, just hard on tired legs, with a knee that was fed up of bending and stretching, and frankly? in a mood!! (yeah .... a moody knee :D )
IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG
The last downward stretch... off the horns

Once down off the hard stuff, a wander back through the well maintained path, beautiful waterfalls, and quite frankly the most fantastic new bridge ever seen on a hillside! wow!! what did that cost? I would have been gutted to have to pick my way over the water at that point.... would happily have paid to cross that wee beauty!!
IMG_0306.JPG

Back at the car.... only two cars left..... just the way I like it..... Love, Hermit, Fi

Just Kiddin, I'm a sociable walker only intolerant of the arrogant few that dont talk back!

IMG_0309.JPG
The Ridge

All in all?..... a fabulous day on a hill.....wow!!! Why do we walk in the hills? cause we LOVE them!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Re: Ben Alligan & The Horns

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon May 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Stunning area this and a cracker of a day to do Ben Alligin. Hope to do it myself this year :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Ben Alligan & The Horns

Postby Collaciotach » Mon May 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Craic ing photos :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland