walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

shaky knees on CREISE (via northwest ridge)

shaky knees on CREISE (via northwest ridge)

Postby blueyed » Mon May 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 25/05/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

my very recent trip to glencoe :)

well, night before i decided i was not going anywhere (couldnt be bothered), and on such nice day (as forecasted) i still would be happy to do a wee beach walk like yellowcraigs to nth berwick.. :) ..fine.... but as soon as i opened my eyes next morning i knew that i HAVE to go to glencoe :)

i chose a route which i have been thinking about for some time already (about a year) but i knew that my partner wouldnt like it too much, so i kind of left it for a 'only me' trip. and so it was.

the route is not too long but rather tiresome. 2 munros, walk thru wet rough moorland, steep climb up the rocky ridge, unpleasant way down.. but when i finally made it down, i felt awesome :)

so here is how it all happened :)

the day started rather nice, and thou i rarely stop on my way just to take pics, i just couldnt miss this opportunity (bridge of orchy hills)

leave the car at glencoe ski centre, jump over the burn (not INTO the burn as i did and ended up wet 10 metres after i started the walk!). there is a faint path (many faint paths) going thru the moorland but soon i discovered that the best idea is just going straight ahead, with no regard to any path. going thru the moorland is wet, rough and long.

cam ghleann -i will climb both those mountains in couple of hours

the most difficult part of the route, north-west ridge of creise. basicaly, the route goes straight up the ridge (just before the summit, there is a path to avoid difficult scramble just at the summit, path goes to the left, via grassy slope)

as you could see from the map i drafted, i joined the ridge about 1/4 way up. that's what i saw when looked up, my heart beat a wee bit faster ..

stop dearg & ben nevis range

apparently this route up has been walked before, there was a faint 'on and off' path. still, quite steep and most of the time i had to use my hands to hold on to .. whatever. that day i was the only one going up this way. and i admit, i felt kind of relieved that i was by myself and didnt have to feel responsible for anybody else ;)

going up the ridge involved: sliding down on the mud, uncontrolled sliding on fine loose scree, rock climbing and crawling up the grass (on 4). all the way up was very steep and very exposed, i had a feeling that one bad step and i will slide all the way down, to the very foot of the mountain

path avoiding the tricky scramble just below the summit of sron na creise

second summit of the day stob a'ghlais choire

stob na broige & stob na doire (buachaille etive mor)

on sron na creise, very happy :)

way up stob a'ghlais choire

yuppiii!!!! first munro of the day, creise, in a sight range finally!

looking back towards stob a'ghlais choire

meall a'bhuiridh & bridge of orchy munros

clach leathad

my goddness and what views i had! visibility was good enough to identify such mountains as: schiehallion, rannoch moor, bridge of orchy munros (beinn dorain group), ben vorlich & stuc a chroin, ben more & stob binnein, ben lawers group, tarmachan ridge, cruach ardrain, ben cruachan, glen etive munros, buachaile etive beag (stob dubh), aonach eagach, beinn a'breithir, bidean nam bian, stob coire nan lochan, stob coire sgreamhach, ben nevis range, stob ban....

bidean nam bian :)

looking back to creise

there is a fairly large cairn marking a path off down, going to the dip between creise ridge and meall a'bhuiridh.

go down, bum-slide down, climb down the big boulders towards the dip and meall a'bhuiridh. comparing to creise's northwest ridge it's like a walk in princes street gardens :) nice and easy, and quite enjoyable

creise, stretched like a caterpillar :)

clach leathad

meall a'bhuiridh summit

oh, just cant stop admiring the views!

bridge of orchy munros

way down from the summit of meall a'bhuiridh as far as to the chairlift station, was all covered in a calf deep snow. i could have avoided it by walking on a side (grassy-stony, wet slope) but taking a snowy route down was sooo much more comfortable and easier! didnt have to watch my steps at all :) however i ended up with my feet wet, as the snow was deep enough to penetrate the boots from top. but, hey, who cares!

when i reached the upper station of chair lift and discovered that it is actually on (yes yes yeeeeess!) there was no argument to make me think i should actually WALK down :) this saved me about 40 mins of walk, cost a fiver and was worth every penny! before i hit the road home i had a quick cake and coke in the ski cafe, happy and proud of myself :)

in my opinion, the route up that i chose was the most attractive option of bagging the two. i really wouldnt fancy going up and down the same way, not to mention deep snow and neverending false summits. i guess i would be already fed up with whole route before i even reached meall a'bhuiridh.

taking the northwest ridge route produced so much adrenaline that my mind was more occupied with 'where to put my feet now and what to hold on to' than with the actuall efford of walking up the hill ;)
dont get me wrong, it was hard going and rather difficult one, finding the way up was tricky sometimes and there also were 2 rather tricky steps to take, but the overall was quite positive :)

now, if you are interested in getting to know some more details and seeing more pics from that day, click here:
http://around-scotland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/meall-abhuiridh-creise-via-north-west.html

ENJOY!!!

Ela
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: shaky knees on CREISE (via northwest ridge)

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon May 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi, I think you said hello to myself and basscadet on top of Creise :) . It was some day :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby nathan79 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Sickeningly good weather and photos.

I did these two as my 29th and 30th Munros, but I'm itching to revisit them and do the scramble.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby blueyed » Tue May 28, 2013 6:33 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:Hi, I think you said hello to myself and basscadet on top of Creise :) . It was some day :) .

possibly :) were you with a girl in red jacket? if yes, then you are on one of my pictures, have another look :)
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 am

Looks wonderful weather you had and such fabulous photographs to boot, WOW! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mountainlove » Tue May 28, 2013 11:44 am

I agree with the route up. It is my fav one as well and worth the scramble...altough stick a bit more to the right and you get an even better scramble :D
Wonderful photos!!!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby basscadet » Tue May 28, 2013 12:16 pm

blueyed wrote:
LeithySuburbs wrote:Hi, I think you said hello to myself and basscadet on top of Creise :) . It was some day :) .

possibly :) were you with a girl in red jacket? if yes, then you are on one of my pictures, have another look :)

i'm the girl in the red jacket! :D
Was a right bonny day that.. Of course we skipped the scramble and took the ski lift :lol:
can't see any of your pictures though :? I'll have a look later on a non work computer.. :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby blueyed » Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 pm

basscadet wrote:
blueyed wrote:

i'm the girl in the red jacket! :D
Was a right bonny day that.. Of course we skipped the scramble and took the ski lift :lol:
can't see any of your pictures though :? I'll have a look later on a non work computer.. :)

all right, i remember you well then :)
you guys left rucksacs at the 'way down' cairn, didnt you?
i thought you will be going down towards the other munro right behind me, but you didnt lol
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Postby basscadet » Wed May 29, 2013 11:58 pm

blueyed wrote:
all right, i remember you well then :)
you guys left rucksacs at the 'way down' cairn, didnt you?
i thought you will be going down towards the other munro right behind me, but you didnt lol

Aye, we dumped our packs there for a while.. stayed up on the ridge until the weather changed on monday.. t'was a braw weekend :) Scramble you did looked fun.. have to go back some day 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland