walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

D.I.Y. waterproof repairs?

D.I.Y. waterproof repairs?

Postby simon-b » Mon May 27, 2013 7:23 pm

Does anyone have any tips for fixing tears in waterproof fabric? I've just found a couple of tears in the seat of my Berghaus Deluge trousers, which I've only used several times so far. Being mid-priced, perhaps a professional repair isn't justified, but they're not cheap enough to be considered disposable after such a short life. It looks like I must have caught them while climbing over a fence or coming down some sharp rocks, so I doubt whether this could be a warranty job.

I've wondered about gluing on a piece of waterproof fabric from an old worn out item, if there's a suitable glue anyone can recommend. Or does anybody have any other suggestions?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: D.I.Y. waterproof repairs?

Postby sloosh » Mon May 27, 2013 8:17 pm

sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 pm

Yup, the Goretex fabric repair kits work very well. You can get ordinary nylon ones which are just as good (since a wee patch doesn't have to be breathable. I fixed my Buffalo trousers years ago and they're still good, and fixed a Rab down jacket which is still good - and my gear gets hard used.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue May 28, 2013 11:49 am

Very small tears can be dealt with by using bicycle puncture repair kits. More substantial damage can be sorted with spinnaker tape available from boat chandlers - being designed for repairing torn sails it's lightweight but very strong.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby joekell » Tue May 28, 2013 2:44 pm

gortex repair patches from go outdoors £6 or £7 if I remember got some for a work colleague once for his golfing gear.
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 29, 2013 1:24 pm

A roll of nylon fabric tape as used by Yotties to repair sails; stick it on either side and stitch as well to secure. Available at all good Yottie Chandlers.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby tam_187 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:20 pm

Duck tape. If you can't duck it, chuck it.
tam_187
Mountain Walker

Munros:86   Corbetts:1

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed May 29, 2013 6:27 pm

I bought official gore repair kit, coloured black, and kit came with two or three patches different sizes. I cut the large one in half and followed the instructions. Basically cleaned the area, ensured patch surrounded the damaged section with an overlap. Peeled off the back, stuck over the section, on the outside of the garment, then used a warm iron to press home and seal. Done. Used this on expensive golf jacket and it was A1. Also tried a repair on goretex gaitors with same kit. Patch did stick but as it was on an elastic section it did not do such a great job as the edges curled up. But the seal is still watertight.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby simon-b » Fri May 31, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks, everyone. Plenty of different suggestions to think about there.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby neil_mcgeoch » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:07 pm

There's an article in this months TGO magazine on repairing waterproof. Gives instructions and diagrams. I believe Duck Tape is their go to item.
neil_mcgeoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:1

Postby tenohfive » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:01 pm

neil_mcgeoch wrote:There's an article in this months TGO magazine on repairing waterproof. Gives instructions and diagrams. I believe Duck Tape is their go to item.

Duck tape is possibly the most versatile item in the world. I didn't realise until recently though that if you run a lighter over it and gently heat it the stuff goes rigid and forms a better seal - very handy for tent repairs (I was using it on a bivvy tarp.)
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby Rudolph » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:12 am

tenohfive wrote:Duck tape is possibly the most versatile item in the world.

Sound engineeers say it is like "The Force". It has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the universe together...
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk