walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

pleasant morning on Stac Pollaidh

pleasant morning on Stac Pollaidh

Postby litljortindan » Wed May 29, 2013 11:25 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 29/05/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I think this was my tenth visit here. I had wanted to go to Quinag instead but I also wanted to get some photos in early morning light and the weather forecast indicated a limited window for this of dawn to 7am before cloud would gather (it didn't). I was a bit slow driving up so I switched to Stac Pollaidh and I wasn't disappointed -always something different in each of those ten visits. This time stands out because it was my first early morning walk here so shadows in unexpected places transforming the views...
Note to self is that bright sunshine saturates my flip video camera so shouldn't point at sun too much or should just get a new camera; will have to at some point anyway as flip seem to have disappeared.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCN0337.JPG
view from the east end
DSCN0338.JPG
one of the many protrusions
DSCN0344.JPG
sun rising over Cul Mor
DSCN0357.JPG
Cul Mor again
DSCN0358.JPG
the west summit and its shadow
DSCN0365.JPG
scramble to the west top
Last edited by litljortindan on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: pleasant morning on Stac Pollaidh

Postby GraemeMac » Thu May 30, 2013 1:28 am

I don't think pleasant is a strong enough adjective to describe the morning that you got, great stuff :D
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Postby Lenore » Thu May 30, 2013 6:28 am

Lovely pictures of a superb little hill!!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby litljortindan » Thu May 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Lenore wrote:Lovely pictures of a superb little hill!!

Thanks. Well, you know, my philosophy is take loads and some are bound to turn out ok!
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 pm

GraemeMac wrote:I don't think pleasant is a strong enough adjective to describe the morning that you got, great stuff :D

I agree. Can't find the words to state it so try instead to find the right way to understate! Yes, it was a beautiful morning and reminded me just how great Scotland can be.
litljortindan
Ambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland