walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cuinneag-A walk round the Milking Pail

Cuinneag-A walk round the Milking Pail

Postby soulminer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Route description: Quinag: three Corbetts

Corbetts included on this walk: Quinag - Sàil Gharbh, Quinag - Sàil Ghorm, Quinag - Spidean Coinich

Date walked: 05/07/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another pleasant day presented itself when I pulled the curtains back, so where to go? I had strict instuctions to be back early on account of it being our 27th Wedding Anniversary. I scanned my 'to do' list and chose Quinag. So for the third time I headed for the Kylesku turn-off. Turned into the car park under Glas Bheinn, only to diturb the occupant of a large campervan with a rousing chorus of ' Mellon Collie and the Infinate Sadness' by The Smashing Pumpkins - sorry ? well not really :lol:
Walked across the road to the start of the grit path, read the John Muir Trust Info board, then crossed the bridge. there is a peat path that takes you to the small rise at the beginning of the corrie rim, but I stayed on the grit path till it forks left to the same general area. Follow the bearing taken or the footprints of the many to work your way up the rim towards Spidean Coinich.

A view across

Carried on up at a steady pace with the sun now risen and beating on my back. Reached the wind break and sat for photo and a hydration break.

Further up and pass a cairn on the left and enter the Lunar landscape.

Looking back to cairn

Small bejewelled lochan

A final steep pull an the views open up. Won another watch 8)

Over to Suilven

Clouding Tops

The route ahead

The view back

I'm really enjoying the walk,but do notice a rise in wind speed as I drop down to Bealach a' Chornaidh. Up the scramble and round the traverse path to the 745 top, and the wind has picked a wee bit. Dropping down off the top the sight around Sail Gharbh is slightly concerning.

Appearing from Sail Gharbhs' N/E side is a whirling dervish of a cloud formation with a bank of fast moving cloud in its wake.Decided to keep up the pace and keep the camera clicking- for now :shock:

Set off on the pull round and up towards Sail Gorm with the wind now increasing steadily and buffeting in strong gusts.

View along the Allt a' Bhathaich

With the gusts increasing in strength concidered bailing out,but could see the summit when calm decended for a brief second or two. Headed straight there at pace and took a photo.

Sat for about 5/10 mins contemplating my predicament. The wind speed must have in the region of 55/60mph by now, each gust stronger than the previous. It was eerie, you could hear the wind funnelling down towards Sail Gorm and up the summit like a hissing snake, then a brief abatement, During the next period of 'calm' I decided it was wise to get the f*** out of there.The hissing began again and I took the only shelter I could find behind some boulders. Back up and off, and repeat till I reached the scramble back towards the 745 top. Wind speed dropped by about half after 10/15mins, so thought I try for number three, with the opt out towards the lochan as reserve. Over the bealach and the cloud that had been so thick had almost dissipated to the extent the sun was breaking through

Headed backdown towards the traverse path and dropped to the outward path. Time for a picture of the Lochan.

Looked across towards the hills behind Glas Bheinn to see another bank heading over, but not with me in its path.

Arrived back in Lochinver, and we all headed to Clashnessie beach- roastin'. Back for some tea, decide to try the Lochinver Mission- now re-opened, with a new bunkhouse no less. [ info@lochinvermission.org.uk ]
Last edited by soulminer on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulminer

Re: Cuinneag-A walk round the Milking Pail

Postby colgregg » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Another great set of pics. As with my BMC walk we set off in mist only for it to clear out part way through. Only been home a week and dreaming of getting a chance of a re-visit. Missing the place. I camped at the Broomfield in Ullapool and what a great spot. Mind you there is a couple of regular wake up calls as the noisy Commercial vehicle ferry from Stornaway passes within 100 yards at 3.am and leaves at 5.am. Light sleepers will hear 2 hours of frantic activity as the loading / unloading takes place.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:24 pm

top notch once again. Cracking wee holiday soulminer :D

superb photos.

Im jumping in my tardis - take me to assynt :D :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby kinley » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:59 pm

What a cracking walk 8)

It's hard to choose between the Assynt hills but Quinag has to be near the top - and for the whole of Scotland to be honest.

Some cracking photos 8)

Just worth re-visiting anytime :D
kinley

Postby litljortindan » Fri May 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Some of those photos are excellent.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland