walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corrour Trebble

Corrour Trebble

Postby xpfloyd » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap, Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Sgòr Gaibhre

Date walked: 31/05/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 23.4 km

Ascent: 1471m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

corrour3b.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had a day off work on Friday so decided to head out to corrour on the Caledonian Sleeper, or the deerstalker as I found out it was known as, and do this trebble. Initially I was going to drive to Crianlarich and catch the train there but after I factored in fuel costs I was the same price to take the train from Dalmuir instead which is 5 mins from home. The overall journey time would be 30mins longer but I figured it was worth it as I could relax on the train.

I caught the train at 6:01 and was off. I was pleasently surprised with the sleeper train and the big comfy seats and not before long I was sitting having a coffee enjoying the lovely views with the sun already out. It looked like it was going to be a really nice day. The journey was 3 hours long but It was far from boring.

IMG_0884.jpg

At 9am I was off. Unfortunately the clear skies I was enjoying on the journey up had changed to patchy cloud. A pleaseant walk up towards Lake Ossian was followed by the first bit of uphill of the day.

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

By the time I was nearing the top the cloud had came in and I wasnt getting much of a view.

IMG_0890.jpg
Nearing the top

First top reached

IMG_0892.jpg
First top

Next it was a gentle descent and across to Sgor Gaibhre. 2nd top and it was t shirt weather again

IMG_0893.jpg

After the second top I started my descent down towards the top of the Loch. This is where things got a bit crappy for a bit. The whole area was a squelchy bog with no visible paths. It had also started spitting ever so slightly. I just got the head down and headed in the direction of the Loch. After a bit of splodging The loch came into view and I could see the forrest at the top that I was heading towards.

IMG_0897.jpg

Once I recehd the forrest I came across a massive fence. According to my map I was still on the route but I couldnt see a stile to cross so ended up having to climb it. A nice walk along the far bank of Loch Ossian followed although the weather had changed since the start of the day and it was still a bit grey and dull.

IMG_0898.jpg

I eventually reached the point on my route where I was to cut through the forrest and head up Beinn na lap. I couldnt see any sign of a path but headed in anyway. The next 30 mins was sheer hell. The whole area was a swamp and I was having to force my way through thick tree branches. Then this happened!! :roll:

IMG_0900.jpg

After a lot of cursing I emerged from the other side of the forrest and thought I would have a break and something to eat to recompose myself. I then set off up Beinn na lap. For a hill that is supposed to be "easy" it really took it out me. The route I had followed was also quite steep at times. I was glad to reach the top!

IMG_0904.jpg

On the way down towards Corrour station sods law the sky started clearing up again and by the time I reached the path there was blue in the sky again.

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

I got back to Corrour station at 4pm and my train wasnt until 6:25pm so I headed into the restaurant for a cup of coffee. To my surprise/delight/relief they sold lager and since I didnt have to drive I thought why not? :) I can now highly reccomend Corrour Gold and the sheepshaggers ale wasnt too bad either. I also got talking to two fellow walkers in the bar who had been up the corbett at the other side of the tracks, one of which who was on my train in the morning and had travelled all the way up from London. Good company indeed and a great way to finish off my day, even to the point where I was seriously considering missing my train and getting the next one! With my wife at home I thought better of it :)
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Re: Corrour Trebble

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:07 pm

that was an impressive bit of bog on your leg there!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby xpfloyd » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:16 pm

mrssanta wrote:that was an impressive bit of bog on your leg there!

A few expletives were given :) I think I would have went in up to my thigh if I hadn't managed to grab a branch. It was like soup
Last edited by xpfloyd on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Enjoyed that - shame about the foot in the big - however made up for by the Cour Gold and erm sheep ale ;) :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby xpfloyd » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:27 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:Enjoyed that - shame about the foot in the big - however made up for by the Cour Gold and erm sheep ale ;) :lol: :lol:

Thanks mate, beers straight after walking was a new experience as I'm normally driving but could easily get used to it
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby Gman27 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:02 pm

nice report mate, and a good day for it by the look of it :D
Gman27
Munro compleatist

Munros:206   Corbetts:24
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:17

Postby xpfloyd » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Gman27 wrote:nice report mate, and a good day for it by the look of it :D

Cheers mate, probably not the best prep for our walk tomorrow though as my thighs are deed!
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby andyroog » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:17 pm

What a Cracking Trip you guys had WELL DONE :D
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby xpfloyd » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:04 pm

andyroog wrote:What a Cracking Trip you guys had WELL DONE :D

Cheers andy
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:07 am

Great effort doing all three. I feel your pain with the knee-deep mud. I did Beinn na Lap 'the easy way' and ended up doing the same thing about three steps in. It's a very Vicar-of-Dibley-esque hill.
Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:47 am

Enjoyed that but you fair put yer foot in it a bhalaich :clap:

Might save these for a frosty day, as would have been the reception if you had lingered at Corrour :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:24 am

Thats a good circuit and I would agree that Beinn na Lap is a different prospect from that side. I'm glad I went round the tress rather than through them going by the state of your boot and trousers :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am

Craiging619 wrote:Great effort doing all three. I feel your pain with the knee-deep mud. I did Beinn na Lap 'the easy way' and ended up doing the same thing about three steps in. It's a very Vicar-of-Dibley-esque hill.

Collaciotach wrote:Enjoyed that but you fair put yer foot in it a bhalaich :clap:

Might save these for a frosty day, as would have been the reception if you had lingered at Corrour :wink:

Thanks guys
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am

Fudgie wrote:Thats a good circuit and I would agree that Beinn na Lap is a different prospect from that side. I'm glad I went round the tress rather than through them going by the state of your boot and trousers :lol:

I saw your route mate before I left and was going to follow it, im kicking myself now that I hadnt.
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Postby ballarat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:48 pm

:) hope you put as much of the "bog" back as you possibly could :)

this area is suffering badly with people being irresponsible,and taking parts of bogs home with them :)

before we know it there will be no bogs in corrour :(

great report and pics,the corrour house is the kind of place that "draws you in",especially if you are in good company
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland