walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Across the watershed and on the Moine Mor

Across the watershed and on the Moine Mor

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir, Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 01/06/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

High above Gleann Einich on the Eastern flank of Creag Dubh the last top on the North of the Moine Mor is a huge boulder on an exposed point called Clach Mhic Cailein or in the inferior tongue "the Argyll stone".

IMG00122-20110119-1016.jpg
Clach Mhic Cailein

In 1644 when Alasdair Mhic Colla Ciotach was learning the Marquis of Montrose how to fight his army of Gaels were moving across the country from Aberdeen shire to the Spey, they intending using the ferry-boats on the river to pass over to the West Highlands .They found Mhic Cailein Mor with Clann Dairmid barring the way so they skulked in forest of Abernethy for a few days, before slipping through the forest of Rothiemurchis ,over the hills down into Badenoch ,guided by local men.

Tradition tells us that Argyll saw their tails disappearing into the distance from this stone ,although he would watch them again six months later from his galley in the Linnhe Dubh as Alasdair destroyed the Campbell power for a generation at Inverlochy on the 2nd February 1645.

May the Great General Alasdair Mac Colla Ciotach never be forgotten :wink:

Co dhui bha robh mi riamh ann an Ghlinne ... The nearest I have ever got to Glen feshie was playing Shinty at Kincraig at Inshes so this is new country for me :D

There is a fine river and some old Guithsach and compared to the Gaidhealtachd an Iar very dry underfoot !

DSCF6979.JPG
An abhainn

DSCF6983.JPG
Coille Guithsach

We took an anti clock wise route to get to Mullach Clach na Bhlair then Sgorr Gaoithe the theory being get a warm up along the flat before the ascent .

It worked out just fine and we were soon on the road up to the first Munro I ve done this far NE :clap:

DSCF6984.JPG
An rathad ura

Agus dh aithghearr tha thu suas ard .......a bit of a slog but in no time your up a good height with views all around An Moine Mor

DSCF6991.JPG
Sealtainn air ais

There seems to be a lot of tracks in this area , I m no fussed about them either way to be honest and I don't think they detract all that much from the scenery, amazing what lengths folk will go to shoot a few birds and deer. There cant be much of a challenge getting driven up in a 4x4 for the plastic huntsmen :wink:

Not much to say about Mullach Clach na Bhlair but at least its tioram/dry and Sgorr Gaoithe looks a deal better

DSCF6995.JPG
Sgorr Gaoithe

Bha an t side tioram ...the weather was dry and probably not the most exciting of topography it would be a different fish up her in a white out though as there is no a lot of distinguishing features !

On another day I might have been minded to tackle Braigh Riabhaich she does not look to far off

DSCF7003.JPG
Braigh Riabhaich

Co dhui .. we were soon on the summit of Sgorr Gaoithe and a better sealtainn from here with a good drop down into the loch

DSCF7011.JPG

The weather started to turn a wee bit here so we were no long at the carn

DSCF7012.JPG
Carn

It did not stay wet for long and we found ourselves heading back down in quick time to Carn Ban Mor

DSCF7021.JPG
Carn Ban Mor

It is a quick shift down the coire and we were back at the car for 4.30pm a total of seven hours for the two hills with about a half hour stop.

That is my first time on the Moine Mor it has something to offer but i might no rush back to these two for a repeat and i was glad to do the circuit in an anti clockwise direction for it was tiring enough .

Going back to the start of this report i would maintain Alasdair Mac Colla Ciotach was wise to be heading back to the West ........ he is a man after my own heart :D

Mac Colla Gasda
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Across the watershed and on the Moine Mor

Postby PeteR » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:15 am

I recognise these two :wink: :lol: You should have added on Monadh Mor too..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But.......where's all the snow gone :?:

I know the Cairngorms aren't everybodies cup o tea, but I personally have enjoyed all my walks in that area :D But then I love the variety that Scotland brings :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:39 am

Aye Pete variety is good and I did enjoy ...... really :D . I had Mrs C along so great steady access which is her mantra , she does not do "goat hikes" which in the West can be the norm :lol: ......Think I might go for a mighty bag with this lot , might even try a bit of biking to get them done quicker :lol: :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:33 pm

Like Peter R I also like the "gorms" no such thing as a bad hill,just people who view them through bad eyes.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:24 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Like Peter R I also like the "gorms" no such thing as a bad hill,just people who view them through bad eyes.

Aye there is no such bad thing that is why we do it :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:08 pm

Moody first photo :)

Nice history lesson and some nice photies...very stylish.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:47 am

Oh very nice Mr C :clap: :clap:

I love all the photos but one of the lochan is superb :clap:

As for paths? Yes please :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Yup - Glen Feshie is a great place to be especially in such good weather - enjoyed that and your history lesson as well. One of my favourite cycling routes is up to Loch Einich - even though it's a there and back trip, it's such an "atmospheric" feeling place - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:33 pm

rockhopper wrote:Yup - Glen Feshie is a great place to be especially in such good weather - enjoyed that and your history lesson as well. One of my favourite cycling routes is up to Loch Einich - even though it's a there and back trip, it's such an "atmospheric" feeling place - cheers :)

Cheers R ........sent you a PM re Traverse of Braigh Riabhaich , Carn Toul via Moineadh Mor
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Frigate » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Was the great General Alasdair any relation
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland