walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sole-Destrying Stroll in Glen Shee

Sole-Destrying Stroll in Glen Shee

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:37 am

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc

Date walked: 02/06/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday's forecast looked decent in the morning and poor in the afternoon, so i ditched plans to spend a day on the Lochnagar circuit and instead headed up to Glen Shee to do Carn an'Tuirc and Cairn of Claise. I arrived at the wee car park just north of the ski centre at about 7am, and set off pretty much straightaway, over the stone bridge.

The path was unsurprisingly boggy after a lot of rain the previous night, but pretty easily followed up to the old shielings, whereupon is disintegrates into a boggy mess. However at this point it's really just a case of heading straight up the hill. At this point i discovered by boots were gubbed. The sole had split and they were no longer waterproof. This is uncool in a bogfest. The situation was barely salvaged by Sealskinz socks.

DSC_0003.jpg
Carn an Tuirc

DSC_0013.jpg
Back to the pass

I started to regret having a large meal and a few vodkas the night before as the steep trudge up the slopes of Carn an Tuirc became hard going in wet shoes, with little grip. Finally, after reaching the rocky upper slopes and a cooling breeze, things became more enjoyable.

DSC_0023-2.jpg
The final approach

Before long the summit cairn was reached on the large rocky plateau. Views were pleasant towards the high cairngorms.

DSC_0031.jpg
From Carn an Tuirc summit

I had a quick bite to eat, and decided to have a wander around the plateau. It was a cracking day now, with a bit of sunshine and cooling breeze. I had a look at Coire Kander.

DSC_0037.jpg
Loch Kander

Then headed across towards the boundary wall leading to the next munro, Cairn of Claise. I also had numerous mud-up-to-the-knees incidents on the way. Anyway, Cairn of Claise's summit cairn was soon reached. Not complaining incidentally, but i can't believe it's a munro in it's own right. :lol:

DSC_0052.jpg
Cairn of Claise

I enjoyed the views from this hill in all directions. It had turned into a very fine day.

DSC_0053.jpg
Cairngorms from Cairn of Claise

DSC_0065.jpg
Caenlochan Glen

I set off in the direction of Glas Maol. I strongly considered adding Glas Maol and Creag Leacach, but having done both before, and frankly not being keen on the trudge back up the A93, i headed for Sron Na Gaoithe.

DSC_0066.jpg
Carn an Tuirc & Cairn of Claise

DSC_0073.jpg
Sron Na Gaoithe

I spent a very enjoyable lazing about on the summit in the sunshine, again with fine views.

DSC_0084.jpg
Glen Shee towards Braemar

Clearly the day wouldn't be complete without a tedious decent on wet, tussocky grass, and a couple of minor falls. Cracking wee trip though :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Sole-Destrying Stroll in Glen Shee

Postby laconic surf » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:56 am

Looks like a decent day above your head if not below your feet. I think most of us have been there thinking "i shouldn't have had those drinks last night" - I now have a self imposed booze ban if i'm walking the next day - except on WH meets where it's compulsory :wink:
I did these in snow/whiteout and it's amazing to look at your photos and recognise absolutely nothing :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:55 am

laconic surf wrote:Looks like a decent day above your head if not below your feet. I think most of us have been there thinking "i shouldn't have had those drinks last night" - I now have a self imposed booze ban if i'm walking the next day - except on WH meets where it's compulsory :wink:
I did these in snow/whiteout and it's amazing to look at your photos and recognise absolutely nothing :lol:

Aye, I've read your report on them as a spot of research :D

But yeah, drinking before hills - not cool. :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby trederdog 100 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 pm

I've just done these hills and bolted on Glas Maol descending via Sron na Gaoithe. I couldn't believe Cairn of Claise being a Munro either! Its higher than Carn an Tuirc yet really does seem like an undulation in the plateau. You'd think Carn an Tuirc would be just a top as the descent, re-ascent is small. Even though it is the more interesting of the two. Mind you I couldn't see anything - just the thick clag.
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland