walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Caisteal & Beinn a' Chroin - 30/05/13 (Super-Chase)

An Caisteal & Beinn a' Chroin - 30/05/13 (Super-Chase)

Postby MG1976 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Route description: An Caisteal and Beinn a'Chròin, near Crianlarich

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin

Date walked: 30/05/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1045m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

"Super-Chase" took a {Flyer}, stormed the Caisteal, and just kept on Chroin!

With Chase having a week off school, I had planned a few days away in Crianlarich. My plan was to try and get 2 Munros done in a single day; this would be Chase's first double. Two nights were booked in the Crainlarich YH, giving us a full day's walking time to enjoy the hill, without having to worry about getting finished in time to catch a train home.

Breaking with my normal practice, I posted my plans on the "Meeting up" forum, not really expecting much if any response. Two replies came back;

"StephenT" would also be in the YH the same time as myself, but with different plans for the Glencoe hills.
It was good to meet you ST; I hope you had the same great weather we did, and an equally enjoyable day.

"Fife Flyer" was off work, so drove across from Inverkeithing to join us for the day.
Martin (Flyer), Chase & I really enjoyed meeting you, and sharing your company throughout the day. The bonus of the transport to and from the starting point was also greatly appreciated.

Martin picked us up across from the Crianlarich Hotel just after 0900 and we were parked up and setting off for the hills just after 0915. The sun was shining, the clouds were high and all signs were pointing to favourable weather for our walk.

01. Chase  & myself at the start of the glen.JPG
01. Chase & myself at the start of the glen.

02. Chase & (Fife Flyer).JPG
02. Chase & (Fife Flyer).

A 30 minute meander up the landrover track had us at the only gate across the track, which is also the point where we took to the hillside, to start our climb towards Sron Gharbh.

03. The first rest of the day.JPG
03. The first rest of the day.

The climb to Sron Gharbh isn't too taxing, more a case of plodding on up, taking whatever route you find most agreeable.

04. A bit of perspective; and a taster of the views we had all day.JPG
04. A bit of perspective; and a taster of the views we had all day.

We had plenty of stops, taking in the views, resting our old man legs, as Chase took point. The sight of a low level flying Eurofighter beneath us was a nice touch in the early morning sunshine.

05. Chase & (Fife Flyer) approaching Sron Gharbh.JPG
05. Chase & (Fife Flyer) approaching Sron Gharbh.

It took us 2 hours to reach Sron Gharbh, but didn't really feel like it. The weather was definitely making the ascent a relatively easy one. From Sron Gharbh, the obvious path to An Caisteal showed the way.
Chase's assault began in earnest from here.

06. The Caisteal's obvious line of weakness.JPG
06. The Caisteal's obvious line of weakness.

07. Chase & (Fife Flyer) taking a rest; the path back to Sron Gharbh behind.JPG
07. Chase & (Fife Flyer) taking a rest; the path back to Sron Gharbh behind.

The higher we climbed, the greater the views were. The clouds would not be spoiling Chase's first double, and clear summit views were almost guaranteed as we made our way higher.
Chase was in his element, running about like the little boy he is, looking out for sheep, deer and Gruffalo footprints along the way. The later proved to be an elusive, if not light footed, beast.
We stopped for a bit of lunch about 1145 (2400ft) and it was out with the Chicken Broth, Cheese Sandwiches and Pineapple Chunks. There may have been some chocolate in there as well. :wink:

08. A spot of lunch before the 1st attack.JPG
08. A spot of lunch before the 1st attack.

We set off again about 1200 and it was soon time for Chase to take on the Caisteal's first line of defence.

09. The Caisteal's 1st line of defence .JPG
09. The Caisteal's 1st line of defence.

This proved to be little more than a perfect time for Chase to practice his scrambling, and with the encouragement and support of Daddy & (Flyer) he had quickly breached the first defences.
We found no boiling tar behind the outer wall, only a slippery (and futile) attempt to slow Chase down.

10. Another vain attempt to thwart Chase's assault.JPG
10. Another vain attempt to thwart Chase's assault.

With the outer defences breached, Chase could smile, proudly knowing that the inevitable victory would soon be his.

11. Chase, above the conquered battlements.JPG
11. Chase, above the conquered battlements.

We paced ourselves the rest of the way to the summit, and at exactly 1230, Super-Chase claimed his prize.

12. The symbolic victory blow.JPG
12. The symbolic victory blow.

13. No words needed...JPG
13. No words needed...

14. 2 Happy Boys; 1 Proud Daddy.JPG
14. 2 Happy Boys; 1 Proud Daddy.

The old men, trying to look as fit and fresh as Chase.

15. Myself &  Martin (Fife Flyer).JPG
15. Myself & Martin (Fife Flyer).

We stayed on the summit for about 15 minutes, enjoying the views, and (allegedly) a little more chocolate. The sun now high and bright, the clouds no more that fluffy decorations to the amazing views. Hills, upon hills, upon hills. We could not have picked a better day. A priviliged three were we.

16. The view North from An Caisteal.JPG
16. The view North from An Caisteal.

We set off for the bealach (Buidhe) about 1245, and this was the most technical part of the day. It's a steep, but obvious path down, with quite a few little exposed sections, but nothing too difficult. Martin (Flyer) took the lead, with Chase and myself working our way down behind him. Chase only needed a supporting hand here and there; "bum shuffling" sufficing for most of the bigger steps.

17. Martin (Fife Flyer) heading down to the bealach from An Caisteal.JPG
17. Martin (Fife Flyer) heading down to the bealach from An Caisteal.

By 1330 we had reached the bealach, where the now obvious line up Beinn a' Chroin could be seen.

18. Chase at the bealach, the route up Beinn a' Chroin behind.JPG
18. Chase at the bealach, the route up Beinn a' Chroin behind.

We didn't hang around, we were all feeling good.
Chase was eager to start heading "up" again. There had been no mention of being tired, or wanting to turn around, and (if anything) he appeared to wanting to move quicker than before.
Martin (Flyer) took the lead again, working his way up and through the twisty path. Chase followed, and I brought the rear.

19. Chase & (Fife Flyer) heading up Beinn a' Chroin.JPG
19. Chase & (Fife Flyer) heading up Beinn a' Chroin.

There is only one section of the path up Chroin that needs proper hand and foot work. The exposure (and the drop below) is what makes it feel a little hairy. We were definitely happier going up this way, and not dealing with this as part of a descent. Martin (Flyer) gracefully :lol: went first, then gave Chase a helping hand up as I supported from below.

Soon after that, just after 1400, we were at the West Top of Beinn a' Chroin.

20. The West Top of Beinn a' Chroin, An Caisteal behind.JPG
20. The West Top of Beinn a' Chroin, An Caisteal behind.

We headed on towards the main summit and it was en-route there that we met our first other walker of the day. John from Lands End was "out for a walk" with his mate's dog. John, with 170 Munros under his belt, was moving a bit faster than ourselves, so we all agreed to meet at the summit for a proper chat.

We reached the summit of Beinn a' Chroin about 1450, where Chase claimed his 2nd Munro of the day, now 5 in total.

21. The 2nd one of day in the bag.JPG
21. The 2nd one of day in the bag.

22. Me & my Mountain Goat.JPG
22. Me & my Mountain Goat.

We stayed at the summit for about 10 minutes chatting to John and Sam the dog. It was here that the only other walker we met, also caught up with us. Eric, from Belgium, (& John) were both happy to accept Chase's gift of a Carbury's Fudge, as reward for successfully claiming the summit.

We left the summit of Beinn a' Chroin about 1500, following the twisty path down to Coire Earb. We stopped for a few minutes of fun in the last of the Winter snow.

23. Heading down from Beinn a' Chroin's East Top; Winter isn't finished yet.JPG
23. Heading down from Beinn a' Chroin's East Top; Winter isn't finished yet.

As we neared the floor of the glen, Chase stopped to pose with his latest hills behind him.

24. Chase heading down to Coire Earb, his latest hills behind him.JPG
24. Chase heading down to Coire Earb, his latest hills behind him.

We reached Coire Earb about 1545, and the it was then just a case of making our way back down the the glen. Conditions under foot were better than expected and, although still plenty of squidgy, boggy bits, careful manouvering had us back on the landrover track with relatively dry feet.
This did not apply to Chase; after bagging his hills, he was quite happy to be finding the stickiest parts of the bog. What you gonna say? Nothing as it turned out, he had worked his little legs off for 7 hours straight, so back to being a messy 6 year old on the way home was just fine by me.

We ended up back at the A82 just after 1715, bringing to an end a very enjoyable and rewarding 8 hours.

My thanks again to Martin (Fife Flyer) for joining us; it really added to our day having you with us.

Official times are as follows:

Walk time from A82 Start/Finish Layby to An Caisteal summit: 3 Hours - 15 Minutes (incl. Lunch)
An Caisteal summit rest time: 15 Minutes

Walk time from An Caisteal summit to Beinn a' Chroin summit: 2 Hours 20 Minutes
Beinn a' Chroin summit rest time: 10 Minutes
Walk time from Beinn a' Chroin summit to A82 Start/Finish Layby : 2 Hour - 20 Minutes

Total walking time: 7 Hours - 20 Minutes
Total rest time: 40 Minutes
Total Trip Time : 8 Hours.
Last edited by MG1976 on Wed May 25, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Re: An Caisteal & Beinn a' Chroin - 30/05/13 (Super-Chase)

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:09 pm

Great report Martin, don't remember all those photo's, but I do remember Chase mentioning something about you taking lots :wink: I won't mention about you using up the memory on your camera :lol: :lol:
Having said that, at least your's worked for most of the walk - another thing to add to the list of things to do - make sure the camera battery is charged :oops: I wouldn't mind but I also had a spare battery with me duuurrr :crazy:
Thanks again for the company made for a great day out & the legs are fine, maybe getting fitter, but I somehow doubt it :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby coachmacca » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Great report , love the commentary and the lines of weakness drawn on! we did AC in winter an didnt go onto BaC but looked a great day and well done to the wee(er) man for 5 so far! I better get my skates on ! :clap:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby MG1976 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:08 am

coachmacca wrote:Great report , love the commentary and the lines of weakness drawn on! we did AC in winter an didnt go onto BaC but looked a great day and well done to the wee(er) man for 5 so far! I better get my skates on ! :clap:

Thanks for the comments coachmacca.
I've always tried to include some route lines on my pictures after seeing someone else's reports pictures with them. I found them a great help when trying to spot "less obvious" paths.

I'd been up AC before (on my own) but I bailed out on doing BaC from the bealach. High Winds was my excuse, but tired legs was the truth.

Chase is gaining confidence with every walk; I think i'll be fine until he can jump on the train or in car on his own. From that point, i'm sure he'll be quickly passing my tally and leaving me in his dust.

MG
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby GillC » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Well done you guys. Was up this way yesterday on my own. Your route up Caisteal was my route off. Something of a relief lol Well done Chase. keep it up wee man! :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby StephenT » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi Martin
Good to meet up in the Hostel the night before.
Looks like you and Chase had a good day.

Let Chase know the chocolate bar was very welcome at the top of Bidean nam Bian :D
My day was excellent weather and views for both Munro's until I slipped down some snow in a gully on the descent :( , all still in one piece - just!

Maybe catch up again at another time.
Stephen
StephenT
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:37   Islands:14

Postby 2213498 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Did this walk on Friday 5th July.Set of at 10.15 clear with hardly any cloud and good forecast. However when we were having lunch on An Caisteal thick cloud came down. Kept on to Beinn a' Chroin but saw no views. Cleared only by the time we were approaching the long walk in. Therefore great to look at your photos and see the views we missed. Well done to Chase also.

Munros:98   Corbetts:42
Fionas:21   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:36   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:10

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland