walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers & the thousand "Good Mornings"

Ben Lawers & the thousand "Good Mornings"

Postby naepace » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 02/06/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 968m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I do tend to exaggerate, it was 72 to be precise :D I guess that's what happens when you are the first up and down such a popular hill on a Sunday with the promise of blue skies. Might as well pick a good one, sorry two, to be my first :wink:
Unfortunately for us the 06.45 start from the car park was greeted with grey foreboding clouds and a stiff breeze ! Still the cloud was high enough that the summits were clear and I'd take that all day long.
As the reports state the path is great and steadily climbs up through the nature reserve before you get the first glimpse of Beinn Ghlas. The views quickly open up and you can easly make out the Loch Earn Munros as you gain height. As we reached the small summit cairn on Beinn Ghlas I was puzzled by the idea that people pass over here without appreciating it is a Munro in it's own right. It seemed pretty noteworthy to me !

The excellent path up from the car park (£2...voluntary)

First look at Beinn Ghlas

Beinn Ghlas summit

From the first summit you have a great view down the glen and over to Meall Corranaich and of course over to Ben Lawers. We stopped below some crags below the summit for a bite to eat, in my case a breakfast of 2 shredded wheat.....I never could manage 3 :lol: The wind had been fairly strong and cold so it was nice to find some shelter with lovely views over Loch Tay below. Suitably revitalised it was time to make our way over the ridge to the main target of the day. Again it is a very good path up to the summit of Lawers.

The breakfast spot

Ben Lawers

The ridge path over to Ben Lawers

As the walk report states it is very exposed up here and the wind was quite strong as we made our way over. Small patches of blue sky began to emerge bringing a welcome burst of warmth. Very soon the trig point comes into view spurring you on over those last few metres of ascent. The next 35 mins of effort are well worthwhile with spectacular 360 degree views from the summit of Ben Lawers.

Summit trig point looking back over to Beinn Ghlas

The Lomonds in Fife, as I've said before these bloody hills haunt me everywhere I go :crazy:

Over to An Stuc, one for another day

East up Loch Tay

Back in the car park for 11.15. If you were going up Lawers this morning it was nice passing you. Hats off to the 3 guys pushing their bikes up and for having the bottle to ultimately ride them back down again :shock: 1 & 2 in the bag, now where to next ?
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Re: Ben Lawers & the thousand "Good Mornings"

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:24 pm

Cracking report

I've been tempted in the past to record "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening" on a Dictaphone and play it on a loop :lol: :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 pm

Good report takes me back, lost count of how many times I've been up that path :)
Bet you had the pick of the car park at 6.45 8)
Looking on the bright side one of the good things about walking in the hills, everyone speaks by at least saying hello - where else would that happen :o I am guilty of chatting more than most, but that is so I can catch my breath :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby andyroog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Great report the lawyers ridge is a fine group of munros ain't it nice to meet like minded nice people of all the places eh.
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Believe I was parked next to you, nae peace. Arrived 30 minutes after you and just got back to the car as you were driving off. You could do worse than Meall nan Tarmachan (with or without the rest of the ridge), which was my target today.

Good to get there early and avoid the throng. Big plus of the Tarmachan Ridge was descending via the disused quarry meaning did not have to negotiate the crowds on the way back...not that I'm anti-social or anything!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby naepace » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:22 pm

I thought there had to be someone from here around. Looks like the early birds missed the crowds and the sun !! Meall nan Tarmachan could well be next.
Cheers
naepace
Munro compleatist

Munros:124   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:10   

Postby gymman47 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Nice pictures and bring back memories of when I was there on New Years Day. Mind you I think you got better weather than me and far more "Good Mornings". Nice one :clap:

JP
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland