walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime from Butterbridge

Postby Shona » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:26 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 24/01/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having not done any hillwalking since the 5 Sisters in June, this was not only my first winter hillwalk but the first time I'd tested my thighs in a while! And for those who read Plex81's post - I am indeed the scardycat girlfriend who was concerned about him going out on his own! Oh well if you can't beat 'em join 'em...

Arrived at Butterbridge carpark at 0845 to find a guy sleeping in his car (surely there are better places??!!) who got a bit of a rude awakening when we pulled up beside him! :shock:

Suited and booted we headed up past the ruined house and fought our way through the tree stumps and bogs towards the Bealach a' Mhargaidh, with lovely views back towards Stob Coire Creagach.

IMG_3355.JPG
Stob Coire Creagach

The ground became steeper and more icy as we ascended and so we sat behind a rock to get the crampons on. At last I started to feel like a proper mountaineer!! In the early morning, as a bonefide wuss, I was enjoying the benign weather, but once The Cobbler came in to view from its North side the colour of the clouds were cause for concern, although they made for nice moody photographs! :)

IMG_3357.JPG

IMG_3374.JPG

As the wind picked up and we encountered some spindrifts, Alex explained patiently that this wasn't a sign of impending avalanche since they were minor (I tend to think the worst!!) and we picked our way through the rocky outcrops towards the summit encased in cloud.
IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG
All smiles - pain and fear forgotten!!

After that came the most fun part of our day as we made a quick decent by sliding on our derriers using ices axes as a rudder.
Sore butts and happy faces made their way down back the way we came, and we reflected on what turned out to be a fantastic day back out in the hills. Unfortunately as we came down through the snow line my foot fell right through the snow and landed knee deep in a freezing peaty bog, with Alex helping by rolling around laughing!! :lol: Guess the mountains wanted to remind me they could still get me!!

Back at the car park we looked up at our achievement and my first winter hillwalk before heading to the Bothy Bar for a well earned pint!

IMG_3386.JPG
Shona
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Beinn Ime from Butterbridge

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:50 am

Good stuff - I seem to always have a nervous bit on ascents like that! Love the summit photo - the ice formations at the bottom look fabulous
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby sloosh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:15 am

As the wind picked up and we encountered some spindrifts, Alex explained patiently that this wasn't a sign of impending avalanche since they were minor (I tend to think the worst!!)

:lol: :lol:

Looks like you had a fun day. Those ice formations look amazing!
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby CurlyWurly » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:38 am

Shona wrote:After that came the most fun part of our day as we made a quick decent by sliding on our derriers using ices axes as a rudder.
The joys of 'Glissading' down a mountain side :) Great report!
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby Shona » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 pm

CurlyWurly wrote:The joys of 'Glissading' down a mountain

Is that what it's called? Excellent name I've never heard of that before!

Thanks for the comments I'm going on a winter skills course in a couple of weekends' time so might be a bit more informed about what's dangerous and what's not!

Cheers, Shona
Shona
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Milesy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:49 pm

Yep Glissading. Now this is a glissade!!!

The snowpack has just never been consolidated enough and enough on a good safe slope to get a big slide like this!
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:02 am

Certainly crazy! Looked like an accident in the middle but he got right again... Much more exciting to a Megadeth soundtrack though... try it! :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland