walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnicht

Cnicht

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cnicht

Date walked: 28/05/2013

Time taken: 4

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 520m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following our efforts in the Glyders we were all very tired so the fact Monday was a total wash out didn’t really bothers us too much. Tuesdays forecast wasn’t very good either but promised enough for a quick jaunt up The Cnicht (The Knight). We drove to the beautiful little village of Croesor for a quick there and back. The parking area, like the rest of the village, is very neat and tidy complete with a very welcome portaloo.
Route finding is hardly a problem as long as you can see as once you follow the lane out of the village. One turn off through a gate and the inevitable climb up the increasingly defined ridge takes you up to the Welsh Matterhorn summit with barely a deviation. The weather was just about holding with a light rain that wasn’t even worth donning waterproofs.

The Cnicht by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking towards Moel Hebog by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The views were very nice indeed with Moelwyn Mawr and Moelwyn Bach making a tempting future target across Cwm Croesor to the South East, some wild country the Nantlle ridge and a cloud capped Snowdon to the North West and straight ahead the impressive conical peak of The Cnicht.

The Moelwyns by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The Welsh Matterhorn by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The final pull up to the summit is particularly entertainingly hands on before you top out onto the small rocky cairnless top. At this point the true nature of the Cnicht becomes obvious as it is the pointy termination of a long ridge. Unfortunately the cloud rolled in obscuring much of the view while we had lunch but the sight of the ridge holding back the cloud like a dam was impressive.

On the way up by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

On the ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking towards Moel Hebog and the Nantlle Ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A misty Cwm Croesor by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Ridge holding back the cloud by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace on the top by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

On a better day we would almost certainly have carried on to make a circuit of the walk but with the weather threatening we returned the way we came enjoying views out to Tremadog bay.

Col just before the final pull to the summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Moelwyn Bach catches some rare sunlight by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking back down the ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

By the time we were driving back to the cottage following an ice cream in Porthmadog the heavens had opened and the national park received its second deluge in as many days.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Cnicht

Postby Ibex » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:52 pm

Thats a characterfull little hill. Good walk as well at 7km.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:00 pm

That looked a lovely walk and some impressive photos even with cloud swirling around :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Nice one JK, some nice photos there especially the mist appearing to be held back by the ridge and have got to admit I am impressed with your recognition of all the named Welsh tops. :clap:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Ibex wrote:Thats a characterfull little hill. Good walk as well at 7km.

It's a really fun little hill, makes a great half day.

SusieThePensioner wrote:That looked a lovely walk and some impressive photos even with cloud swirling around :thumbup:

Thanks Susie

L-Hiking wrote:Nice one JK, some nice photos there especially the mist appearing to be held back by the ridge and have got to admit I am impressed with your recognition of all the named Welsh tops. :clap:

Cheers mate, don't be too impressed, someone may well be along to tell me I've got them wrong :wink:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby footix2 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Looks a great little walk. I think this might be a good starting point for my walking in Wales (when I get round to it in 20 years or something ;))
footix2
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:61   

Postby clivegrif » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Hello Anthony

I'm slowly catching up with your Welsh exploits, and I have to say that this is a lovely set of pictures of Cnicht and the surrounding area. Its a great little mountain, and your photos really do it justice. Very nice indeed.

I particularly like the clarity you get with your pictures. Think my next camera will have to be a Canon....

Best wishes
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 pm

clivegrif wrote:Hello Anthony

I'm slowly catching up with your Welsh exploits, and I have to say that this is a lovely set of pictures of Cnicht and the surrounding area. Its a great little mountain, and your photos really do it justice. Very nice indeed.

I particularly like the clarity you get with your pictures. Think my next camera will have to be a Canon....

Best wishes

Cheers Clive, what camera are you currently using?

footix2 wrote:Looks a great little walk. I think this might be a good starting point for my walking in Wales (when I get round to it in 20 years or something ;))

It's as good as anywhere :D do it sooner rather than later however
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland