walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An unexpected brush with the Law

An unexpected brush with the Law

Postby PeteR » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Route description: Broad Law, Cramalt Craig and Dollar Law

Corbetts included on this walk: Broad Law

Donalds included on this walk: Broad Law, Cramalt Craig, Dollar Law

Date walked: 02/06/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

One of the great things about the hills of Scotland is that they offer such variety. Not every hill is a pointy shaped beast :wink: Not every hill contains knife edged ridges or death defying scrambles :wink: Not every hill involves a long walk into to gain high level plateau :roll:

Some hills are gentle, rolling moorland, with a fence to follow pretty much the whole way :lol: :thumbup: Steep-sided in places, but offering the opportunity for a wonderful stravaig on the second day of summer :D :D :D

Ideal for days when you……….

…………OVERSLEEP :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oops :oops: :oops:

But it was a sunny day and would have been a waste not to make use of the good weather in some way!. So I decided on a trip to Border country and the Corbett/Donald of Broad Law :D Motorway, Moffatt and away we go :D Then the single track road from Tweedsmuir, which gives a real sense of being out in the middle of nowhere :D The sort of road that gives you the feeling you shouldn’t really be driving along it too. A cracking little road :D :D

101 miles later (101 miles?) and I was parked up (2 miles past the starting point, having motored passed Meggett Stone :lol: :lol:) and heading back to the Meggett Stone and the easy climb up to Broad Law’s summit.
DSCF8006.JPG
Meggett Reservoir from my unintentional parking place

DSCF8018.JPG
The Stone.....what I missed

Given my late start I was on a timetable, so went storming up the initial climb (the only really steep climb of the day) to Fans Law and then more gradually to Cairn Law before the gradient eased greatly for the final stroll to Broad Law :D
DSCF8026.JPG
Easy walking

DSCF8032.JPG
Route finding - easy in mist

DSCF8050.JPG
Culter Fell and a delightful windfarm to slightly spoil the view

DSCF8052.JPG
Back to the White Comb area

And oh, what a lovely summit :?
DSCF8054.JPG
Ok, maybe not

DSCF8062.JPG
The route ahead

Not the best, it has to be said, but once you see beyond the detritus around you there were still views to be had :D :D

Didn’t hang around though; given my late start I had that timetable to keep to :lol:

I could have bagged just the Corbett and headed back down, but that would have been a heck of a round trip for a 2 hour walk :roll: I had a circuit planned, bagging a couple of extra Donalds on the way.
DSCF8076.JPG
View to Cramalt Craig

There was an unexpectedly steep, but easy descent off Broad Law down to the saddle with the former Corbett of Cramalt Craig. It was then a fair pull up to the second Donald of the day. Felt a bit odd having the summit cairn sat so close to a modern fence :shock:

Still, better views than from Broad Cairn :D
DSCF8080.JPG
View to the west

DSCF8092.JPG
Culter Fell

DSCF8095.JPG
Cramalt Craig summit

DSCF8106.JPG
Culter Fell, again

Now it was stravaig time :D :D :D

From this point it was a gentle, if fairly speedy, amble over Dun Law and Fifescar Law and the third and final Donald of the day, Dollar Law :D
DSCF8107.JPG
Dun Law, Fifescar Law and peeking out at the back, Dollar Law

DSCF8112.JPG
View back to Meggett Reservoir

DSCF8114.JPG
Cramalt Craig and Broad Law

DSCF8118.JPG
Route finding......still easy in mist

DSCF8123.JPG
Cramalt Craig and Broad Law, this time with a dry stone wall

More nice views from here too. Probably the best of the three summits in my view :thumbup: Probably as it was the furthest away from civilisation.
DSCF8130.JPG
Dollar Law

Still, I had that timetable to keep, so I was soon off; heading back to the saddle with Fifescar Law and the path skirting around the rim of Cowie Cleuch (I think :? ) :D
DSCF8149.JPG
Cowie Cleuch?

Immediately after climbing a gate the route heads to the right and picks up an ugly hill track down to the road. Well, I say ugly. It was ugly higher up, but had mellowed a bit lower down, with good views back up toward the high ground :D
DSCF8155.JPG
Ugly hill track beside the Cramalt Crook

DSCF8162.JPG
Much better view beside the Burn

DSCF8164.JPG
Sneaky peak at the Meggett Reservoir

Back on the road and it was a short walk back, alongside the attractive Meggett Reservoir and to my car. Fourteen miles in five and a half hours. By my standards – a sprint :lol: :lol:
DSCF8177.JPG
Linn Knowe

DSCF8182.JPG
Meggett reservoir and Dead for Cauld

I appreciate these Lowland hills won’t be everybody’s cup of tea. And this route did give me an odd sense. As much as I enjoyed the walk and there are some good (if different) vistas to be had, it did take on the character of a training walk as I sped round it. Having said that, I enjoyed it all the same and all in all it was worth the road trip :D Far better than not getting out, that’s for sure :D

My next walk will probably see me back in the Highlands though on some of those pointy type hills…….. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: An unexpected brush with the Law

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Emjoyed that, pete - lovely day for it as well. Another one to keep in mind for when I do eventually head south....or sleep in :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm

That was very enjoyable, and some great photos. Yeah, the pointy ones are best but you came back with a good tale and told it well :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:41 pm

They are no unlike the Carn Gorms and cracking pics /views must visit one day :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Loved the report Pete :clap: One can't beat a bit of humour, read it last night at work (whilst working very hard of course) :wink:
I will be heading down that way to venture up the majority of the Border hills, they had not been on my radar until I joined this site :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland