walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgiath Chuil & Meall Glas

Sgiath Chuil & Meall Glas

Postby bharr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:23 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 01/06/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15.75 km

Ascent: 1220m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After starting my walking season last week with a walk up Beinn Chabhair I thought I would step up the difficulty level with 2 Munros this week. My daughter enjoyed completing her 1st Munro last week in glorious sunshine, so this week was a bit more of a tester and probably more realistic of walking in Scotland as we had sunshine, rain, hailstones, gales and low visibility all in the space of a few hours.
On the approach both Munro's looked quite uninspiring but I was to be pleasantly surprised once I started the walk. The walk was also a more strenuous trek than I envisaged with few tracks, quite a bit of boggy ground and a number of steep ascents and descents.

We started off in glorious sunshine but knew from the forecast that was only going to last a few hours.
image.jpg
Billy,Morgan,Peter & Alfie

As we set off we could see great views of Ben More towering over the landscape.
image.jpg
Morgan & Ben More

As we headed up past the farm the path soon came to an end and we headed along the stream where we got some great views of both Munros we were climbing today.
image.jpg

Very soon after crossing the bridge we came to the Dam then it was time to start the climb up Sgiath Chuil
image.jpg
Dam just before first ascent

Before long we started heading up the right hand side of the mountain without finding any discernible track. As we started the climb the weather started to close in and we could see the clouds coming over Ben More.
image.jpg
Morgan heading up Sgiath Chuil with Ben More in background

After a few steep sections we finally got to the top and our first Munro of the day
image.jpg
Me, Morgan and Alfie on Sgiath Chuil

We decided to walk on another few hundred yards and have lunch at Meall a Churain and plan our next move. We decided to head for the right side of the mountain where, although steep in places seemed to be the most forgiving route. After another path less climb we reached Beinn Cheathaich before heading on a further kilometre to reach Meall Glas and our second Munro of the day.
image.jpg
Beinn Cheathaich

image.jpg
Meall Glas

Typically within 20 minutes of leaving Meall Glas the weather started to clear and again we could see some glorious views and some interesting sights.
image.jpg
Descent of Meall Glas

image.jpg
Interesting Sights

After a bit of trudge through some boggy land we were back at the farmhouse and 8 hours later our day was complete.
image.jpg
Nearly there

image.jpg

image.jpg
8Hours Later

Again a special mention to my daughter Morgan who completed her 2nd and 3rd Munros in only her 2nd walk in much more challenging conditions. A great, fulfilling, challenging and as you can see from below tiring day :D
image.jpg
Time for bed
bharr
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   

Re: Sgiath Chuil & Meall Glas

Postby coachmacca » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:49 pm

Great report, some interesting pics (I'll not ask if you "liberated" the antlers.. ) - we did this in winter and were locked in a blizzard at the top, some fun :shock: scrambling and no view at all! Well done to Bharr Jr!! :clap:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby mr_ash_37 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:04 pm

Congrats to you all, nice report and pics....what side did you start from please planning to do this next tues and very worried about bogs....thanks indeed. Ash
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:07 pm

mr_ash_37 wrote:what side did you start from please planning to do this next tues and very worried about bogs

The Glen Lochay approach is definitely less boggy, though maybe best avoided if the river is in spate!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby alfie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:22 pm

hi bharr,guid report and well done all!fancy these 2 very soon ,can ye please tell me where ye can get parked!btw a love yer dogs name,quality! :D
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mr_ash_37 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Cheers jmarkb appreciated
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland