walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear review: walking trousers

Gear review: walking trousers

Postby Paul Webster » Wed May 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Not the most glamorous item of outdoor clothing, and a bad choice won’t matter that much, but they are still an important garment affecting comfort and weather protection on the hill. Some walkers favour tight and stretchy legging-style trousers like the infamous Ronhill Trackster, others a loose-fitting cargo-pant style. Regardless – they need to offer unrestricted movement. Full-cotton trousers are not ideal – taking an age to dry when wet, but cotton blends such as polycotton are much better. Fully synthetic fabrics are perfect though, lightweight and quick drying while resisting wind. The number and distribution of pockets is a matter of personal choice, though I find loads of overloaded pockets annoying....

Our gear testers Phil and Helen have put 16 pairs of walking trousers through their paces. For the full details, visit:
Phil's review of men's walking trousers
Helen's review of women's walking trousers
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Gear review: walking trousers

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 22, 2013 5:32 pm

why are all the colours so boring? black, khaki or black, or khaki if you are good.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed May 22, 2013 8:04 pm

I'll stick to my Ron Hill's, did look for a replacement pair (of Ron Hills), but mine must be an older style as they have a zip pocket on each side :D Looked for a similar pair but the "newer" ones either have a zip pocket at the rear or a tiny internal pocket.
Anyway Mrs Flyer used her magical touch & repaired some of the stitching & they are now as good as new :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby BobMcBob » Wed May 22, 2013 8:46 pm

mrssanta wrote:why are all the colours so boring? black, khaki or black, or khaki if you are good.

Doesn't matter what colour they start off, mine always end up mud-coloured by the end of the day anyway :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Lyndalou » Wed May 22, 2013 9:06 pm

I love Keela walking trousers. I have two pairs i have worn hundreds of times over the years and they are still as good as new. My partner also loves his Keela trousers they are so comfy and very quick drying...ideal. I bought myself a new pair about a month ago (ive lost weight so my old ones are now too big ) I think i payed about £20 for them!!! They are seconds but i cannot see anything wrong with them. There was also a sale on at the time so i was very lucky. Please try Keela for any walking clothes...they are brilliant..Happy walking.
Lyndalou
Mountaineer

Postby RockyRab » Wed May 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Another vote for Keela stuff, all very good. I'm also a fan of Craghoppers Terrain Trousers, feel lovely and soft, dry quickly and are good value.
RockyRab
Munro compleatist

Postby IainG » Thu May 23, 2013 8:22 am

Again, another Keela user here! Excellent, and I also got them in the factory shop for about £20.

Hard wearing, stretchy fabric, and dry in a flash, thoroughly recommended.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby nathan79 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:38 am

Personally I find trousers the hardest thing to buy. As a beefy-legged chap I need stretch and I can't stand too thick and heavy a trouser. Got some Berghaus ortlers that are fine for winter but are often too warm in summer. Also got some mountain equipment javelin pants that are the most perfect fit I've ever had.

As for colour variety, there is some out there.I've got a fetching pair of red marmot pants. And I've got my eyes on a pair of red rab ones and blue mountain equipment ones.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby john928 » Mon May 27, 2013 4:26 pm

I love my Montane Terra Pants. Fit is perfect and the side venting zips are great on days when your legs are working hard but it's too cold for shorts. I've got 2 pairs, my black pair are suitable for golf too.

If anyone from Montane happens to come across this post though, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you put a rear zipped pocket on them :wink: - it's the only nag I have.
john928
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Tammienorrie » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:37 am

Just started wearing Rab Sawtooth pant (female) I bought a few months ago.Great for hillwalking and stretchy enough to be very comfortable for cycling. Really nice feel to the fabric and it seemed to shrug offwet splashy mud very well. Niggles: baggier than I thought they were when I tried on in shop, waist wide-ish (a common problem for me) so need a belt to keep from being too long. I don't know how far through the summer I will be able to continue wearing them.
Tammienorrie
Munro compleatist

Postby Derek Storey » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:58 am

Important point missed. For walking in Scotland in summer, light coloured trousers are desirable so that one can more easily spot ticks; a growing and serious menace to any hill walker.
Derek Storey
Munro compleatist

Postby Alpenspaziergang » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Thank you for the review on walking trousers,it was interesting! What keeps me from buying those ones is the fact that I am short and not slim ( 1,56m; 65kg) and there doesn´t seem to be even one factory on earth which sells walking trousers in Petite sizes! It doesn´t work out to just shorten the length as the waist-hight is far too long and zips and pockets are misplaced. So I have to stick to my petite-size jeans and always carry a spare one with me for changing, after the rain has stopped!
Anyway, Scotland is so beautiful that this Problem won´t keep me away from walking in the Highlands every year ! This year in May the weather was even better than in Germany at the same time - so don´t complain about it, just be happy and walk on!
Alpenspaziergang
Hill Bagger

Postby KazMMB » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 pm

I've just bought the crag hoppers and they're absolutely fantastic, fit is amazing and they are the most comfortable!
KazMMB
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby funnybunnytom1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 pm

If you are after a real good pair of walking/mountain pants I wold defiantly go for the Haglofs rugged mountain pant , they retail for £110 but they will last you 20 years! They seem to be made out of this canvas stuff which is almost like military grade if you know what I mean.They dr very quickly and if muddy just brush off and in a flash they are as good as new!
funnybunnytom1
Stravaiging

Munros:2   
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Wanderlust7 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 am

I agree with funnybunny I bought my Haglofs after searching for ages and being constantly disappointed, especially with the Montane terra pant that are supposedly extra long, they are just normal length.

The Haglofs fit me like a glove and are really good quality got them for £112 reduced from £140, you really do get what you pay for these days for the great outdoors. Also I still have Rohan bags after 15 years now, normally used for hot days here and on holiday (inside pockets to defeat sticky fingers).
Wanderlust7
Stravaiging

Munros:229   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:8   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk