walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sofa surfers, jeans & Irn Bru

Sofa surfers, jeans & Irn Bru

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 08/06/2013

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 486m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The subject title describes "Tinto" on a lovely sunny Saturday :lol:
Decided to nip up Tinto on my way to see my parents, they reside in Cheshire, I always go via Biggar & as Tinto is hardly a stones throw from Biggar I thought a quick dash up Tinto would break up the journey & stretch the legs a bit :wink:

The car park is actually signposted on the A73 & it is fairly big by hill parking standards & there were plenty of cars when I arrived, so it was boots on & off we go 8)
Having said that I could have walked up in flip flops, may have taken a wee bit longer, but the path was very dry & stony to prevent erosion.
Tinto wouldn't be classed as my favourite walk, the views from the summit are how can we put it - typical borders terrain, rolling green hills & lots & lots of wind farms in just about every direction. I personally don't have a problem with wind farms but am yet to be convinced they are cost effective & really do make a difference to our energy usage. I daresay someone will have all the facts & figures :lol:

DSCF1394.JPG
A look back down the path to the car park

DSCF1395.JPG

DSCF1399.JPG
A look up the path to the summit

DSCF1403.JPG
Windfarm to the NW

DSCF1406.JPG
A hazy view back to the start

DSCF1407.JPG
Rather strange shapes on the next hill in the heather!

DSCF1413.JPG
Another windfarm to the SE

And that just about sums up Tinto, if you want peace & quiet don't go on a sunny weekend, not my cup of tea :(
Last edited by Fife Flyer on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Sofa surfers, jeans & Irn Bru

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm

I don't think I will rush down to the Borders to do that one, and if I do will walk it either very early or very late on a weekday :) Pity you spent most of a cracking day in the car :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby laconic surf » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Ach, i don't mind Tinto. But then i go up it in deepest winter - went up on new years day this year, just a few people about most who turn round when their trainers start sliding on the ice :lol: The views are nice when everything is white. Definitely best saved for winter :wink:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby GillC » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:38 am

Nice day for it,,,my only venture up Tinto culminated in a VERY windy top with no visibility whatsoever, just very low scudding clouds,,so the windfarms, while unseen, were probably whirling away merrily lol :lol:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby MG1976 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:16 am

Hi FF,
Regardless of the hill, the path, the crowds, the view, the farms (and that whole issue), you certainly got the weather right. After our little jolly together last month, i'm thinking "maybe it's you..."

Let's hope this trend continues for the "Kneeknocker" at the end of August.
Try and get some rubbish weather days in before then, just to balance things out. :wink:

M
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland