walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Fireboys on Beinn Alligin and the Horns

The Fireboys on Beinn Alligin and the Horns

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 06/06/2013

Time taken: 5.45 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The hillwalkers on Red Watch were heading to Torridon to walk Beinn Alligin and asked if i'd fancy joining them and as the weather was so good how could i say no. We all met at work and headed up to Torridon, arriving at the car park and setting off at 12.15. We crossed the road and took the path that leads up to the first summit. This path climbs steeply and steadily up through the Coire nan Laogh and it's not long before the summit trigpoint of Tom na Gruagaich is reached. Once there Neal headed straight to a boulder sitting on the edge to pose for a photograph as the rest of us stood shaking our heads in amazement. Stu, who suffers from vertigo had a look over the edge at the sheer drop and suddenly had a vertigo attack. I'd never seen this before as he was visibly shaken and pale looking as he dropped back to his comfort zone. We then got a summit photo taken by another walker with Stu only going as far as the bottom of the trigpoint. We then decided to continue to Sgurr Mhor with Stu keen to get to the second summit. The ridge down from Tom na Gruagaich is rocky and scrambly and we all helped pick a route down for Stu although was finding his own way down with few problems, sticking to the west side of the ridge. Once down we followed the ridge path to the summit of Sgurr Mhor, stopping off at the gully for another photo shoot. Stu stuck to the west of the ridge rather than join the path, with this being more comfortable for him. From the gully it was a short climb to the second summit and it was here we stopped for lunch and admired The Horns. We then spoke about continueing with Stu deciding to drop down towards An Reidh-choire and return back that way. He was happy to return this way on his own which was good as none of us three were going to be missing out on The Horns :crazy: So we say our goodbyes and we head off for some fun along The Horns. There is bypass paths but we wanted to climb and scramble over the three tops so we gave the bypass paths a miss. The Horns were great fun and didn't think any of it was dodgy as we crossed over the three cairns at the summits. We the headed down to the path in the Glen and back to the carpark. We arrived back before Stu and waited on his return getting eating by the midge in the meantime. Soon Stu saunterd out from the original path at the start of the walk and we got the car keys off him and set off to Glen Torridon to look for a camping spot for the night. We found one at the foot of Liathach and soon had the tents pitched and the beer out while Pablo went searching for firewood to get a fire going. It was a great walk guys and a good laugh camping, cheers. Ps Stu jumps out of aeroplanes, get your head round that if you can :shock:
Kintail 053.JPG
Beinn Damh

Kintail 054.JPG
Route through the Coire

Kintail 055.JPG
Beinn Eighe & Liathach

Kintail 056.JPG
Sgurr Mhor & The Horns

Kintail 057.JPG
Liathach

Kintail 058.JPG
Mountains south of Liathach

Kintail 059.JPG
Baosbheinn & Sgurr Mhor

Kintail 060.JPG
Neil living on the edge

Kintail 061.JPG
View south from the summit

Kintail 062.JPG
Tom na Gruagaich summit

Kintail 063.JPG
The Horns

Kintail 064.JPG
At the gully

Kintail 067.JPG
Lord Neils seat

Kintail 069.JPG
Thats as close as i'm going

Kintail 070.JPG
View to Fisherfield

Kintail 071.JPG
Beinn Eighe

Kintail 072.JPG
Liathach

Kintail 074.JPG
Sgurr Mhor summit

Kintail 076.JPG
Stu missing from his perch

Kintail 079.JPG
Pablo & The Flowerdale Forest

Kintail 080.JPG
Pablo, myself & Liathach

Kintail 086.JPG
Beinn Alligin

Kintail 087.JPG
The campsite

Kintail 088.JPG
The firewood

Kintail 089.JPG
The fire
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: The Fireboys on Beinn Alligin and the Horns

Postby gmr82 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Lovely report, cracking story re: Stu and him jumping out of planes :lol:

Is that a couple of new Munros to your tally?
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Aren't people fascinating!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:26 pm

:D Vertigo and planes eh .... glé mhath :clap: :clap:

Hope you put thon fire out :lol: :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby ceaser » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:23 am

What's wrong you didn't take the fat marine with you jonny, is he still kidding on hes got bad knees :)
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:22 pm

enjoyed that, JC - yet to get here, hope I get as good weather as you ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby simon-b » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:43 pm

A superb route and a great story, Johnny. The area looks magnificent. I'm staying by Loch Ewe during the last two weeks of June; whether I get to the Torridons or not will depend on the weather. It's best to look on the bright side - fine weather, you stay dry and get great views; wet, windy weather means no midges! You definitely got the views.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Peter913 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:20 am

Nice report can i ask what camera your using and what settings as most your images are over exposed to bright

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:00 pm

gmr82 wrote:Lovely report, cracking story re: Stu and him jumping out of planes :lol:

Is that a couple of new Munros to your tally?
Cheers, yes 2 new Munros for me, my first since October :D
mrssanta wrote:Aren't people fascinating!
They are indeed :D
Collaciotach wrote::D Vertigo and planes eh .... glé mhath :clap: :clap:

Hope you put thon fire out :lol: :lol:
Cheers, It was the first fire we've put out this year :lol:
ceaser wrote:What's wrong you didn't take the fat marine with you jonny, is he still kidding on hes got bad knees :)
The fat marines too busy at his desk :crazy:
rockhopper wrote:enjoyed that, JC - yet to get here, hope I get as good weather as you ! - cheers :)
Cheers :D
simon-b wrote:A superb route and a great story, Johnny. The area looks magnificent. I'm staying by Loch Ewe during the last two weeks of June; whether I get to the Torridons or not will depend on the weather. It's best to look on the bright side - fine weather, you stay dry and get great views; wet, windy weather means no midges! You definitely got the views.
Thanks Simon, it's one of the best areas in Scotland, best kept for fine sunny days :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Peter913 wrote:Nice report can i ask what camera your using and what settings as most your images are over exposed to bright

Peter
Hi Peter it's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-F2 although not sure what settings it's on. Neil noticed the brightness during the walk and changed the exposure. Thanks for your interest :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Gavin99 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Nice one JC , sounds like a great day out was had by all , hope to get up there soon . A grand bit of kindling you found there :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland