walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three Munros in Glen Shee, with a drivers licence..

Three Munros in Glen Shee, with a drivers licence..

Postby trederdog 100 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Glas Maol

Date walked: 11/06/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 740m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having just passed my driving test I selected a few Munros to attempt, without having to rely on public transport - late coaches, expensive trains and bad times. So I selected Glen Shee, also thinking it would be a good easy road up for my first big solo drive. The drive was great, so nice to be outside of Edinburgh traffic and soon enough I was surrounded by the hills of Glenshee.
It seemed so strange to be able to just drive myself to the hills! I parked up in the area just by the bridge north of the ski centre and set off down the Monega pass track.
rsz_car_glen_shee.jpg
The car park with Sron na Gaoithe in the background.

I had my rolls and coffee and continued up the steep track to Carn an Tuirc, skirting around a group of children - the only walkers I would see all day. The ground steepened and became very rocky but soon enough I was at the summit. The forecast was for a front to move in and after only a few minutes the cloud rolled across the view of the walk ahead. I did get a bit of a view though.
rsz_img_3543.jpg
View of Cul Riabhach

The cloud moved in and the rest of the walk was by map and compass. And the useful addition of the stone wall.
rsz_img_3544.jpg
Wall to Cairn of Claise

At this Munro I pondered what it means to have Munro status. Even though I enjoyed my stroll across the misty upland to get to this summit, it seemed incredible that it is a mountain of its own right. It is higher than Carn an Tuirc but you wouldn't think they'd both be Munro status.
Any thoughts of crossing over to Tolmont and Tom Buidhe were scrapped and I continued with the round walk, following the wall towards Glas Maol. Here the mist got thicker and the wall dissapeared, so I wondered about for a bit, looking dubiously at my map and compass until I regained the old fence line and the track. I passed the turning for the way down, marked by an old rusted gate and continued on the track, until cutting off on a smaller path to the summit of Glas Maol. In the end I managed to find it fine, although I was stood about 10 metres from the trig point looking at my map for a while. I sat and ate yet another roll and a Rhubarb and Custard 'Nakd' bar - filled with energy.
rsz_img_3547.jpg
Summit trig Point and a good view.

I descended the same way, picked up the track down to Sron na Gaoithe and finally descended out of the cloud, for the broad view of Glen Shee.
rsz_img_3551.jpg
View back to the start.

After a quick snooze it was a nice quiet drive back to town. This was a good round route and the actual height ascended pretty small, considering it was three Munros! I would have been nice to see some of the coire's and cliffs marked on the map but I'll choose better weather next time!
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Re: Three Munros in Glen Shee, with a drivers licence..

Postby ScottishLeaf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Well done on passing your test :)
That A93 isn't the easiest of roads to drive, but you'll get more practice when you go back to get the Creag Leacach and the others up that road!!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby trederdog 100 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks! It was a pretty twisty road, but good fun once you're going higher past Spittal of Glenshee. Probably think of adding the Corbett Monamenach when I go up to finish off Creag Leacach, probably from Glen Isla.
Otherwise, I'll have to think of some good routes that have previously been difficult to get to by train! Creag Meagaidh is definitely on the to do soon list...
trederdog 100
Munro compleatist

Munros:158   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:1

Postby ScottishLeaf » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:25 pm

trederdog 100 wrote:Thanks! It was a pretty twisty road, but good fun once you're going higher past Spittal of Glenshee. Probably think of adding the Corbett Monamenach when I go up to finish off Creag Leacach, probably from Glen Isla.
Otherwise, I'll have to think of some good routes that have previously been difficult to get to by train! Creag Meagaidh is definitely on the to do soon list...

Or maybe even the Loch Quioch ones, they're fantastic hills.
Long drive, with the last 16miles down a single track road!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland