walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inversions on the Blue Mountain nice wee wind down

Inversions on the Blue Mountain nice wee wind down

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 09/06/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the exertions of Friday and Saturday I was looking for a easy day.I have avoided the Carn Gorm as I believed it would be the sister to Beinn Neibhis in terms of towerist's marching up and down like ants!.

Hunger drove me to Aviemore the Blackpool of the North and after a quick scout about the Carn Gorm ski centre area decided to get up and down Gorm and MacDui early doors to avoid the crowds . I sat in the Loch Morlich car park to eat and watched wild car camper set up their tents ,put on the loud music ,get the drink out and spark a bonfire in a Pine Forest in the middle of a heat wave.

You do wonder what education these poor cratur's get ,they do not seem too clever ,they would best be indoors on a Saturday night with the rest of the brain dead mass's watching Britain's got no talent.

I pity the poor folk who have to clear up after them ..... s bochd sin !

We ended up pitching the tent up near the ski car park down in the trees a good wee spot and you would not have known we were there :D

Up at 5.30am and away up the dead tourist route ...... Abair madainn blath agus grianach :D

DSCF7094.JPG
Cur bun os coin / Inversion

DSCF7098.JPG
A ribhist

Tha an slighe suas luath gu dearbh ...... a quick haul to the summit at 6.30am and fine inversions to the North and East

DSCF7102.JPG
Tigh Biath Tarmachan

DSCF7103.JPG

DSCF7105.JPG
Carn Gorm

This was a fine , fine morning and I was enjoying the Carn Gorm , often the way when you pre judge something with low expectency ..... great stuff .

DSCF7113.JPG
Sgoth

DSCF7117.JPG
Cárn

We pushed on over the top and following the path above Coire an t sneachda over Carn Lochan and onto the druim which gains the top at Lochan Buidhe

snog gu dearbh agus an iarmailt boidheachd

DSCF7118.JPG
Lochan buidhe

Sneachd gu leor fhathast .... enough big snow patches left be guessing it will be a roll over year :D

DSCF7122.JPG
An ghille dubh

Stunning sealltain over to yesterdays route this weather is the tops

DSCF7123.JPG
Braigh Riabhaich Carn Toul

It is a queer summit MacDhui ,we got their for nine and I sat a half hour in the sun and could detect a real low pitch humming somewhere within my hearing range ! ...... funny heard it on one of yesterdays four also and have no idea what it was ,so low t was barely audible ..aye it was there and no in my head :?

Bha sin air a mhullach ..... in time for more inversion this time over the Lairig Dhru and Carn a Mhaim , a bonnie place and a real sense of space

DSCF7124.JPG

DSCF7128.JPG
Lairig Dhrui is Bod na Deamhainn

The day started to turn cloudier round about 9.30am and we were back at the car for 11.30am ,certainly got the best of the morning to round off a grand weekend in the far East :clap:

And the crowds of towerist 's ? .... saw about 6 people all morning !

Bith sin air ais

DSCF7138.JPG
Air a mhullach
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Inversions on the Blue Mountain nice wee wind down

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Was that your bum-slide down the side of Cairn Lochan? I crossed over that and wished I'd been heading in the same direction :lol:

Looks like the best weather up there was at either end of the day.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 pm

malky_c wrote:Was that your bum-slide down the side of Cairn Lochan? I crossed over that and wished I'd been heading in the same direction :lol:

Looks like the best weather up there was at either end of the day.

haha ....Aye was indeed with the dog barking & howling biting my legs .. quite a sight ! .... your a CG man I deffo was hearing a low audible hum up there any ideas ? ... and no nosebleed jokes :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:31 pm

You certainly picked a good time to do these two, Collaciotach. These were my first two Munros, although I never heard any strange noises, or sensed anything unusual, on Beinn MacDuibh. Definitely no feeling of some presence following me through the mist, as some claim to have experienced there.

You got some nice photos in interesting conditions.

Britain's got no talent? Perhaps that's why a Hungarian act won.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 pm

:thumbup: yup - great conditions in which to wind down - well worth the effort though you must've been a bit tired after the last walk ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:37 pm

simon-b wrote:You certainly picked a good time to do these two, Collaciotach. These were my first two Munros, although I never heard any strange noises, or sensed anything unusual, on Beinn MacDuibh. Definitely no feeling of some presence following me through the mist, as some claim to have experienced there.

You got some nice photos in interesting conditions.

Britain's got no talent? Perhaps that's why a Hungarian act won.

Aye great morning Simon ,deffo a low barely audible humming noise heard it on Carn an t Sabhail as well did not creep me out just puzzled me was not my ears ringing for sure :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 pm

rockhopper wrote::thumbup: yup - great conditions in which to wind down - well worth the effort though you must've been a bit tired after the last walk ! - cheers :)

Aye and thanks for the tips a grand help in planning :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Maybe it was the fabled Grey Man of MacDuibh you never know he might be real after all
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby basscadet » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Aye, the cairngorms are bonny :) Glad you got such amazing conditions for it.. :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Lovely. You had a nice few days in the Cairngorms i see and as for the first few paragraphs in your report, i would have written the exact same :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 pm

A stunning morning you had and back to the car for 11.30! Well done and good proper sentiment too :D

As you have seen I was up Macdui again after a 28 year gap, and I fancy another return sooner than that: perhaps in a still mist :shock:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland