walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stolen water in the Fannaich

Stolen water in the Fannaich

Postby David-Main » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Mòr and the eastern Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Sgùrr Mòr

Date walked: 08/06/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

What a day to be in the hills 8) . My intention was just to climb Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgurr Mor and leave the others for another day. For me it was far to warm to trudge over ridges.
I took 4 liters of water with me which added a bit of weight to my rucksack but I drink a lot of water and I needed this amount. I parked up at Loch droma dam and was soon following the easy track along side the water pipe, there was a lot of clag on my intended hills but after 20mins of walking the sun was in full bloom. I came to the last pumping station and to the left there is a faint path which climbs up the shoulder of Beinn Liath Mhor, the good thing about this route there was very little bog. After a while 700m I lost the faint path and just made my own, zig zaging between the many boulder screes. Soon I was on the shoulder where there is a large cairn where the views open up. Its a straight forward hike up a decent path to the summit of Liath Mhor from here. At the summit it was off with the rucksack and a photo session was required, the views in all directions were imense. I decided to leave 2 liters of water here and would get it on the return, as to lighten the load. From here its pretty straight forward hike up a good path to the summit of Sgurr Mor. I could make out 2 figures running down from the summit, it was a couple and I did not want to stop and speak as to stop them in there tracks, so just a hello and they flew by me :crazy:
The views to the north face crags of Sgurr Mor were full of snow patches and a few cornices . At the summit the views were magnificent, I could make out the cairngorms to the 'SE' and all the way to Ben hope in the North. An Teallach was in and out of clag but what a mountain. I spoke to a lad at the summit who was doing 7 of the munros , he looked a lot fitter than me :clap: . After a while taking even more pictures it was time to return and pick up my rucksack at the bealach and finish my 1st 2 liters of water.
On route back to the summit of Liath mhor I passed another walker, a quick hello and he was on his way.
Approaching the summit of Laith Mhor my thirst came rushing back, ah soon water. To my dismay it was gone :( :-x my mind soon remembered the runners as I viewed them at the summit of Liath Mhor or the walker I met on the ascent. :( . So off the hill and back down to the Allt a' Mhadaidh beside the pumping station , the water was nectar to me, i dipped my head right under a deep pool... Bliss. From here back to the car cursing whoever took my water :lol:
Fannaichs (5 of 1).jpg
The start at droma dam

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-31.jpg
An easy track with the peaks coming into view

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-30.jpg
An teallach clag and inversion

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-28.jpg
Loch a' Mhadaidh and views 'NW'

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-26.jpg
Ullapool and the Assynt peaks

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-24.jpg
The summit of Bienn Liath Mhor Fannaich and that bottle of water

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-25.jpg
Sgurr Mor in the distance

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-21.jpg
Patchy snow on the north face

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-11.jpg
Sgurr Mor summit

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-8.jpg
Sgurr nan Clach Geala and torridon and beinn eighe

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-12.jpg
Looking back to Liath Mhor Fannaich

Fannaichs (5 of 1)-4.jpg
Ptarmigan
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Re: Stolen water in the Fannaich

Postby haringit » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Shame about your water David. They'd maybe had the same idea as you and stashed some, saw yours and thought it was theirs. (Or maybe not! ) :lol: Great picture of the ptamrigan. 8)
haringit
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi there David, I did not think that would happen on the hills :shock: I like you like to take on board a fair bit of water and like you last Saturday had 3Litre water in the old platypus and another litre in the fask at Ben Lawers and managed to get through the lot, even though I started at 0615hrs, it was very close and clammy early on and the initial climb I was sweating a lot, at the end of the long day, I met another walker and he offered me some of his water, which I gladly accepted after checking he had sufficient himself, that's the sort of thing I would have thought might happen on the hills, certainly not to have water pinched. Great pictures by the way :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mantog » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Maybe someone thought it was litter left out on the hills, emptied out the contents and took the plastic bottles home? I've done that in the past and am now wondering if I inadvertently stole someone's water stash!!
Mantog
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Postby David-Main » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Mantog wrote:Maybe someone thought it was litter left out on the hills, emptied out the contents and took the plastic bottles home? I've done that in the past and am now wondering if I inadvertently stole someone's water stash!!

Thanks guys, The 2 litre of water was unopened ! well when I left it anyway :lol:
David-Main
Backpacker

Postby jamesjones » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:46 pm

I've seen plenty of people leave equipment on the hills in order to pick it up later, would never consider touching it as I know there's a good chance they'll come back to retrieve it. Taking somebodies water (fail to see how this could have been accidental) is disgraceful. That water could have been somebodies lifeline. Pleased you managed without it, if only just.
jamesjones
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:9   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:91   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Lovely photos, especially the one with An Teallach "between two layers of cloud". Still have to do these two Munros, hopefully we will manage this year :D

Really surprised that someone took your water :shock: I always thought that climbing/hillwalking folks were of a decent kind... Most of them surely are, you just were unlucky to run across the bad ones...
Or maybe they thought you were not planning to return the same way and assumed that you had forgotten the bottle?
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby David-Main » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:59 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Lovely photos, especially the one with An Teallach "between two layers of cloud". Still have to do these two Munros, hopefully we will manage this year :D

Really surprised that someone took your water :shock: I always thought that climbing/hillwalking folks were of a decent kind... Most of them surely are, you just were unlucky to run acros :D s the bad ones...
Or maybe they thought you were not planning to return the same way and assumed that you had forgotten the bottle?

Thanks BP, loved your trip report on the Forcan ridge and great pics to, I'm planing this area very soon so I always like reading your reports of kintail... Cant wait :D
David-Main
Backpacker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland