walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Alasdair & Sgurr Mhic Chonnich

Sgurr Alasdair & Sgurr Mhic Chonnich

Postby dunrig » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:07 am

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich

Date walked: 10/06/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For a year or more The Cuillin were the only hills I visited. Couldn't climb, not much of a scrambler, rubbish at routefinding my reckless soloing could only end in tears. Caught out in bad weather on Sgurr a' Mhadaidh's tops I struggled over and down, hurt and very frightened I told myself - no more. This is when others who have the heart for it go on to become climbers and mountaineers - not me. I would like to cultivate some ironic distance /detachment towards all this - but can't.
When I went back I was much more adult about it, careful and cautious aware of my limitations ( nothing too difficult) I had fun when the sun shone, otherwise explored the corries and coast. Lately I've travelled back on the bus to climb the munros alone. Leaving the Inn Pinn for a special occasion meant only 2 to do.
It was 5 30 on sunday when the bus dropped me at Sligachan, I walked over the Bealach a'Mhaim, midge were out so put up my tent at the Glen Brittle site in record time, then slept. Clear and sunny the next morning I had a glorious day climbing over Sgurr Alasdair and Mhic Choinnich using the easiest route (for me).
- walked through Coir a' Ghrunnda for old times sake, wild and beautiful add your own adjectives, straight up towards TD gap, along path to Bealach Sgumain, up chimney and over Alasdair, down chute till wall ends, turn right over nobbly bit then over brown bouldery rib, up the gully with wee scamble at end onto Bealach Mhic Choinnich, along Collie's (Hart's) ledge up to Sgurr Mhic Choinnich then down An Stac Screes- A route fashioned to avoid the stressfull descent off Thearlaich though a super scrambler whizzed by me, Es Tressider like on Alasdair then over Thearlaich to show how easy it can be. Used to having the hills to myself it was a nice change to meet so many people; french, spanish, climbers on King's chimney, and the guided parties who I aways feel a bit sorry for as they are shepherded about.
The Cuillin taught me that I was never going to become a climber or mountaineer, hillwalking with a wee bit of scrambling is just fine...at least for now...till I retire...
P1060176.JPG
classic view
P1060178.JPG
Fionn Choire
P1060187.JPG
Coir'a'Mhadaidh
P1060192.JPG
Loch Brittle
P1060214.JPG
Coir'a'Ghrunnda
P1060273.JPG
P1060241.JPG
chimney to Alasdair
P1060250.JPG
looking to Sgurr Sgumain
P1060272.JPG
south
P1060263.JPG
north
P1060268.JPG
P1060277.JPG
King's chimney
P1060278.JPG
Thearlaich
P1060281.JPG
on Collie's Ledge
P1060291.JPG
top Sgurr Mhic Choinnich
P1060305.JPG
descending Mhic Coinnich
P1060341.JPG
in Coire Lagan
P1060353.JPG
bit Sron na Ciche
P1060364.JPG
Loch Brittle
P1060375.JPG
campsite view
P1060395.JPG
Glamaig on walk out next day
Last edited by dunrig on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dunrig

Re: Sgurr Alasdair & Sgurr Mhic Chonnich

Postby john928 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Stunning pics, you were so lucky with the weather! My only trip to the Cuillin saw me blown off in gale force winds and I've yet to return. This post has resurrected my interest again! :D
john928
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland