walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gairich by Kayak and Corbett with views to Cuillin/Knoydart

Gairich by Kayak and Corbett with views to Cuillin/Knoydart

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Route description: Gairich, Loch Quoich

Munros included on this walk: Gairich

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Eugallt

Date walked: 01/06/2013

Time taken: 22 hours

Ascent: 1800m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sgurr nan Eugallt and Gairich

video as usual :

A get away to the NW highlands would be fantastic and an inaugural venture for the real purpose of buying the kayaks!! A microadventure was planned as I had to be back by afternoon the next day to go shopping!!! The plan was to kayak across Loch Quoich to Gairich and head up the northern ridge. This was to be the first outing for the kayaks for their intended purpose i.e. access to the hills via boat! In order to achieve this (i.e. being back relatively early the next day) we decided to head up the night before and crash in the back of the cars, enabling a nice early start 

I left Perth around 17.30 and made the long drive north toward Glengarry and KinlochHourn. Arriving around 19.00 allowed the possibility of fitting in a wee hill in before bedtime! I had looked at Sgurr na Eugallt and thought this would be nice, with many reports suggesting it was a fantastic viewpoint. The weather was ok, however Gairich and the Gle Sheil hills were shrouded in cloud so my chances of a nice via were not looking good. However the forecast said that the cloud may move east later in the day – (bearing in mind it was after 5pm when I started) – there was a small chance of descent weather perhaps?

I left the car about 50m east of Coireshubh and headed up the slightly boggy stalkers path. Having not eaten since about 11 I was finding the going a little tiring! I was also deliberately taking my time as I wanted to conserve energy for tomorrow and also the later I got to the summit – the better chance of a decent views. It was not until traversing round Stob Dubh when the view started to open out, firstly back east down Glengarry then as you gain height Sgurr na Ciche and its neighbours start to dominate the southern sky line. As I reached the final (steep ) pull up, the GlenSheil hills were still covered in cloud and things were not looking too great. Due to the geography of the hill, you do not get a chance to look out west until you reach the summit crest. Just before gaining this there is a short , sharp steep pull onto the crest which involves a little hands on rock action (hardly a scramble but steep nonetheless.) Once getting up this the crest is reached and the first top is only a few minutes away.

As I crested the views were bloomin fantasic. Made better by the fact that I was not expecting to see anything, the Knoydart peninsula was below me and the Cuillin were silhouetted and moody with the lowering sun. I stopped at the trig point taking it all in then decided to head out the westerly peak of Sgurr Sgiath Airigh. The view into Glen Barrisdale is fantastic and it was hard to watch where I was putting my feet as my eyes were not looking downwards!!! Many photos later and I decided to head back it was near 20.00 now, I had spent over an hour up here and was still to top out on the true summit. I bagged this on the way back and was back at the car around 21.30ish.
wh trig.JPG
first trig point

wh knoydart and cuillin.JPG
Larven and Cuillin

I now needed to find a suitable spot to park up, but also to launch the kayaks from the next morning. I met with my friend and we scouted the shore line for a short portage point. This was harder than expected!!! Eventually we settled on a spot almost opposite the north ridge of Gairich, and nearing midnight we hit the hay!!
DSC06460.JPG
looking into Knoydart across Loch Quoich at Midnight

Four hours later and we up raring to go. A coffee and some porridge and we were off getting the kayaks ready and gear in the appropriate holds!
WH Girich.jpg
Gairich at 04.30

wh stove.jpg
breakfast

A tricky descent got us to the loch side and at 06.00am exactly we were in the water paddling across Gairich. The weather was good , and much better than the rain and 300m cloud level which was forecast
It only took us about 10 minutes to cross and by the time we had changed into our walking gear, it was just after 06.30. The pull up the north ridge was pathless but fine and we took our time, reaching the summit at 07.45am. Unfortunately my good views from the summit “tokens” had all been used up the night before and the summit was in clag  Never mind – we headed back down as it was freezing (this weekend is the official first day of summer)! I am sure I saw some flakes of snow at one point!!
We were back at the Kayaks at 08.50 so decided on a little paddle around Loch Quoich before heading home. We headed up past the island ad back to the cars. A steep portage of the kayaks back to the car and we were done and I got home in time earn my brownie point for shopping 
A successful microadventure – one Corbett, One Munro and a paddle in a Loch with views to KNoydart – not a bad 22hrs !!!

Higher resolution piccies at Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/scotlandsmountains/sets/72157633870917513/

wh cuillin and loch hourn.jpg
black cuillin

tea pot back and white.jpg
old tea pot at Coireshubh

wh barrisdale glen (2941x2592) (2941x2592) (2941x2592) (2500x2203).jpg
look into Glen Barrisdale way below
wilkiemurray

Re: Gairich by Kayak and Corbett with views to Cuillin/Knoyd

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Some cracking photos there. Forced late/early starts definitely give you some awesome sights!
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks Bob :D
wilkiemurray

Postby Bombaybadboy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Looks like a great adventure and photos are terrific,what kind of camera equipment do you use?
8)
Bombaybadboy
Munro compleatist

Postby UncleSimes » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Good to see people living life to the full, loved your report and video, thanks very much! :clap:
UncleSimes
Mountain Walker

Munros:225   
Hewitts:1

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:42 am

Bombaybadboy wrote:Looks like a great adventure and photos are terrific,what kind of camera equipment do you use?
8)

Thanks - I use a 1st generation gopro (ohh how I wish I could afford a black edition :()) I als usea point and shot Sony cybershot HXV9 I think or something like that :)
wilkiemurray

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:43 pm

I'm hoping to do a bit of kayaking soon so this really pushed my buttons, loved the video and the TR, Well done all round :clap: :clap:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby john928 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:42 pm

Stunning pics and a real adventure! Have often thought about getting a kayak for such things but I fear that my better half would not be too chuffed if I took up yet another expensive hobby!
john928
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:09 am

great ..enjoyed that ..looking forward to seeing more of your kayak adventures :D :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:42 pm

UncleSimes wrote:Good to see people living life to the full, loved your report and video, thanks very much! :clap:

Thanks Uncle Sime - try and make most of it :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:43 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:
UncleSimes wrote:Good to see people living life to the full, loved your report and video, thanks very much! :clap:

Thanks Uncle Sime - try and make most of it :D

that should say - I try and make the most of it!! :oops:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:43 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:I'm hoping to do a bit of kayaking soon so this really pushed my buttons, loved the video and the TR, Well done all round :clap: :clap:

Thanks Marilyn - not long started the kayaking myself and really enjoy it :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:44 pm

john928 wrote:Stunning pics and a real adventure! Have often thought about getting a kayak for such things but I fear that my better half would not be too chuffed if I took up yet another expensive hobby!

Yeah - my other half thinks my kayak was nice and cheap (well it is relatively speaking in comparison to the full sea kayaks !)
wilkiemurray

Postby DonnyW » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Good idea on the kayak wilkie.

I myself enjoy the sea lochs in the summer when I find it too hot to walk the hills. In fact Im in a quest to bag all the named sea lochs on the north west coast of Scotland..cos although I have no interest in being a munro bagger ..I have done all the good ones several times. I find exploring the lochs more of a wilderness adventure now as there are no paths on the sea and there are many out the way beaches that hardly a soul has stepped on.

Last holiday I went all along the coast from Ardnamurchan Point to Loch Nevis..just puttering along and staying put when the wind got up. Do do confess though ..I use a little inflatable and suppliment the rowing with a small outboard :D
DonnyW

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:01 pm

DonnyW wrote:Good idea on the kayak wilkie.

I myself enjoy the sea lochs in the summer when I find it too hot to walk the hills. In fact Im in a quest to bag all the named sea lochs on the north west coast of Scotland..cos although I have no interest in being a munro bagger ..I have done all the good ones several times. I find exploring the lochs more of a wilderness adventure now as there are no paths on the sea and there are many out the way beaches that hardly a soul has stepped on.

Last holiday I went all along the coast from Ardnamurchan Point to Loch Nevis..just puttering along and staying put when the wind got up. Do do confess though ..I use a little inflatable and suppliment the rowing with a small outboard :D

sounds great fun - something special about being out in the middle of the loch especially when its calm :) :D
wilkiemurray

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland