walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pennine Perfection

Pennine Perfection

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:45 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cross Fell, Great Dun Fell, Knock Fell, Little Dun Fell

Date walked: 04/06/2013

Time taken: 6

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 930m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My return to work ended up lasting all of one day before I was out in the hills again :D With Grace being away my day off was completely free so I could walk just about where ever I wanted. I, like just about every other East coast Wainwright bagger, have always stared at the huge backbone of the Pennines and thought about climbing them. Well I had decided that I’d finally have a crack this week as long as the weather wasn't going to be apocalyptic.
On the Sunday after getting back from the Lakes I remembered that L-Hiking had pm’d me back in January suggesting we meet up for a walk sometime. I thought it sounded like a good idea but my days off haven’t really been filled with many happy wanderings this year so I’d done nothing about it. An exchange of messages and a check of the weather forecast and we were set for Tuesday after I changed my day off.
Following a bout of horse dodging (Appleby horse fair :roll: ) we met up at Dufton on a stunning Pennine morning. Introductions over with we decided upon a two car approach with enabling us to do a linear walk from Kirkland back to Dufton.
We set off at a nice comfortable pace and quickly got to chatting about hills and walking. Any rests were spent identifying the Lakeland peaks clearly visible across the Vale of Eden, one in particular caused us a few problems but I've since figured out it was Ill Bell viewed through the Nam Bield Pass.

Wildboar Nook by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking back towards the Lakes by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Vale of Eden by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Black Doors and Gregory's Sike. by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

It’s easy to see just why Cross Fell has a bit of a reputation as it would require careful navigation in mist, the fact we kept wandering off the path as we were nattering away on a perfect sunny day :lol: should stand as a warning. This part of the world has a beauty and drama almost totally hidden from the motorist speeding along the A66 and it was a very good going just about all the way to the top. We did benefit from the dry weather of late so even the more boggy sections were easily avoided or dry. It was interesting to note just how little erosion there was compared with many Lakeland fells (considering it’s a national trail) on the final pull up to the summit plateau.

On the Way Up by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking towards Alston by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We had a break and a snack in the summit shelter, finally seeing other walkers for the first time during the day. Over the whole day we saw perhaps half a dozen other walkers and only a few of them were obviously Pennine Waysters. I’m really not sure about the claim that 12,000 people a year complete the Pennine way :eh:
To say the view from the summit is extensive is an understatement; even with a bit of haze the panorama looking over the Vale of Eden and elsewhere is stunning. It really does feel like you can see the whole of northern England.

Lunch Time View by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The reward for the ascent is a lovely roller-coaster stroll over the largely innocuous Little Dun Fell before approaching the giant golf balls of Great Dun Fell. It’s hard to say just where the top of Great Dun Fell is; certainly the sad attempt of a cairn outside the fence is very unconvincing. We ventured in and approached a likely looking spot that naturally didn't look as convincing once you’re standing there. An opening door and a curious employee ended our exploration and we set off for the final top of the day.

Cow Green Reservoir by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Cross Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Great from Little Dun Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Giant Golf Balls by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Great Dun Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

I must confess my ignorance that the Pennine way crossed another Hewitt and we made it a second spot of a sit down in the wonderful sunshine. We followed the Pennine Way alongside a very dry Swindale Beck with views of the velvety hills of Knock and Dufton Pikes all the way back to L-Hiking’s waiting car at Dufton.
Both of us agreed it had been a cracking day with the two car option working really well (not sure I’d have fancied an eight mile road walk back to Kirkland).

Hazy view towards Wild Boar Fell by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

L-Hiking taking it all in by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The Pennines by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Swindale Beck by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Knock Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Dufton Pike by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Green and Pleasant Land by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

I’ll finish by thanking Geoff for his great company for the day and I look for forward to the next time we can arrange a walk. As a final thought we both wondered about the possibility of a North East/Yorkshire meet up at some time in the future. No idea just what form this might take but if anybody might be interested in getting together for a wander sometime add your thoughts below.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Pennine Perfection

Postby colgregg » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Great report with pics that shows off the great walking and views that are to be found in the "unfashionable" North Pennines. It is said that you can see the North sea from the top of Cross Fell on a clear day.
The N.E./Yorks meet an interesting proposal.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:02 am

That was great! Especially since I have increased my Hewitt tally by 3 without leaving my bed! I did part of the Pennine Way with my wee brother in about 1980, before we took any notice of summit-bagging, we did these tops on a completely foul day, but the rest was beautiful! We went from Greenhead to Horton-in-Ribblesdale staying in Youth Hostels.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:05 pm

A great report; I've been waiting to read this as Geoff told me you'd been out together :D
Some fantastic views and I agree with Colgregg's sentiments on the area.........well, that's if you get the right weather :lol:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:we both wondered about the possibility of a North East/Yorkshire meet up at some time in the future

I'd be happy to join in even if it's just for a drink and chat or, I could always act as a taxi if you're doing a linear walk :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby clivegrif » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Absolutely superb report that really does justice to one of Englands finest areas. Beautiful photos as always, thanks for sharing this. :D
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby L-Hiking » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:08 pm

Anthony absolutely superb, the pictures are stunning :clap:

The walk was fab as was the company, the views on the day were magnificent, cant figure out why we didn't recognise Ill Bell between us though. :?

I'm looking forward to the next time already

Cheers mate.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:21 pm

colgregg wrote:Great report with pics that shows off the great walking and views that are to be found in the "unfashionable" North Pennines. It is said that you can see the North sea from the top of Cross Fell on a clear day.

We could see the Solway firth and just say make out the North Yorks Moors. The possibility of being up there on a crystal clear winters day is mouthwatering.

mrssanta wrote:That was great! Especially since I have increased my Hewitt tally by 3 without leaving my bed! I did part of the Pennine Way with my wee brother in about 1980, before we took any notice of summit-bagging, we did these tops on a completely foul day, but the rest was beautiful! We went from Greenhead to Horton-in-Ribblesdale staying in Youth Hostels.

Now that's the way to bag fells :lol:

SusieThePensioner wrote:A great report; I've been waiting to read this as Geoff told me you'd been out together :D
Some fantastic views and I agree with Colgregg's sentiments on the area.........well, that's if you get the right weather

It's only the second time I've walked around this area and the sun has shone for every single moment of both walks. No idea what people mean about Pennine weather :lol:

SusieThePensioner wrote:I'd be happy to join in even if it's just for a drink and chat or, I could always act as a taxi if you're doing a linear walk :D

Noted Susie, open to any suggestions about just where and when we organize something.

clivegrif wrote:Absolutely superb report that really does justice to one of Englands finest areas. Beautiful photos as always, thanks for sharing this. :D

Cheers Clive

L-Hiking wrote:Anthony absolutely superb, the pictures are stunning :clap:

The walk was fab as was the company, the views on the day were magnificent, cant figure out why we didn't recognise Ill Bell between us though. :?

I'm looking forward to the next time already

Cheers mate.

Cheers Geoff :thumbup: You never know it might be at a NE/ Yorks meet up. As for Ill Bell I'd only just been standing at the Nam Bield pass on Sunday looking at Ill Bell in one direction and the Pennines in the other :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:51 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:A great report; I've been waiting to read this as Geoff told me you'd been out together :D
Some fantastic views and I agree with Colgregg's sentiments on the area.........well, that's if you get the right weather :lol:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:we both wondered about the possibility of a North East/Yorkshire meet up at some time in the future

I'd be happy to join in even if it's just for a drink and chat or, I could always act as a taxi if you're doing a linear walk :D

It's not always the weather on the day thats challenging. It's the pevious few days you have to be wary of. A couple of days rain and all those lovely bogs spring to life. I have to say J.K. was fortunate as Ive seen cross fell coverd in cloud when all around it is clear.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:15 pm

colgregg wrote:It's not always the weather on the day thats challenging. It's the pevious few days you have to be wary of. A couple of days rain and all those lovely bogs spring to life. I have to say J.K. was fortunate as Ive seen cross fell coverd in cloud when all around it is clear.

I would agree entirely, I think Cross Fell has been in cloud probably as many times as It's clear when driving across the A66. Considering we don't normally make the trip unless the weather is going to be at least reasonable in the Lakes it's not a good ratio. It's obviously been very dry of late over Cross Fell, the summit plateau was tinder dry and crispy.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:57 pm

If you are planning a north meet-up let me and Rudolph know, we might not be able to make it but would be interested
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:39 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:SusieThePensioner wrote:
I'd be happy to join in even if it's just for a drink and chat or, I could always act as a taxi if you're doing a linear walk

johnkaysleftleg wrote:colgregg wrote:
Great report with pics that shows off the great walking and views that are to be found in the "unfashionable" North Pennines. It is said that you can see the North sea from the top of Cross Fell on a clear day.
mrssanta wrote:If you are planning a north meet-up let me and Rudolph know, we might not be able to make it but would be interested

Anthony, we have generated some interest regarding a meet up, how about Wild Boar Fell maybe?

Geoff
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby DaveB1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Great set of photos JK. I think the North Pennines are very underrated. You clearly had a fabulous day out. As for a meet count me in if you decide a date. Dave :D :D
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:24 pm

DaveB1 wrote:Great set of photos JK. I think the North Pennines are very underrated. You clearly had a fabulous day out. As for a meet count me in if you decide a date. Dave :D :D

Thanks Dave, it was a top day out.

L-Hiking wrote:
Anthony, we have generated some interest regarding a meet up, how about Wild Boar Fell maybe?

Geoff

Wild Boar Fell would be fine with me but I'm not sure if Mallerstang has any hostelries??

It's great to see a bit of interest generated by the idea. It would be good to know when is best for people as the whole point is to get a good few of us together for a wander and perhaps a quick half afterwards. How do people feel about a midweek Tuesday/Wednesday meeting or would it have to be a weekend? I think we need somewhere close to a pub/cafe so perhaps we can have a little natter afterwards (Susie has expressed an interest in saying hello). Any location has to be reasonable for interested parties to get to i.e one and a half to two hours max travel time so perhaps the Dales would be good for this. Finally a good bit of notice is probably wise to let people get sorted. All thoughts welcome.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Im ok for most weekends any Monday and alternate Tuesdays,

I agree with the distance for everyone to travel and the need for an immediate watering hole so we can have a good chat afterwards.

Has any one got any suggestions for a location for a walk, I am not that familiar with the Dales?
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby colgregg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:06 pm

The fat lamb on the Sedburgh road from kirby Stephen might be ok. You could always do WBF from there. Then theres great shunner. Set off from hardraw an all sqeeze into susies car for the trip back from Thwaite to the Green Dragon.
A great walk would be this one with a pint at Carlton to finish.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12574
colgregg
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland