walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No voyeurs on Beinn Bhuidhe

No voyeurs on Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 06/06/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 21.9 km

Ascent: 1240m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Whit a day, what weather! what a bloody long walk in and even longer walk out. But it was all worth every minute for a day of glorious weather and wonderful views. I had driven up early-ish and parked at the road end for the walk in, reading previous TR's I had decided to walk in my Merrels and change into my boots before starting the ascent. That actually turned out to be a rewarding choice, the long walk alongside the river would be a nice walk any other time but doing it in boots on tarmac would have been tiring on the feet. I had quickly passed the brewery, noting that I would stop off on the way back( opening 10 till 6), also managed to get past the heilin' coo sentinels, scary brutes but docile enough :o. The temp had really picked up and there wasn't a wisp of wind, but soon enough I arrived at the derelict cottage at Inverchorachan
It was time for a quick bite and drink, and change into boots before heading up the gorge route as described on WH.
Almost immediately I came across a unbelievably inviting rock pool which would be the scene of crime later, carrying on up I was soon past the point which in wet weather I could see might cause hesitation for some, but whilst looking into this walk I had come across a bit of advice on another site(oops). When approaching the "grannystopper",stay high on the path and just where you think you can't get your foot around right in front of your face is a perfect handhold, and its a swing of the leg and hey presto your around, or off course you could gain height just before and bypass altogether.

Onwards and up keeping the waterfalls to my right I made the mid point as described, the only wet boggy bit of the walk all day, heading WNW, the imposing frontage of the hill looks really daunting from a distance but the path up is really well defined and only once or twice did I use my hands if only for balance. Soon the ridge line is reached. marked by a small cairn and the views really open up. I wish my photography could have done it justice, as far as the eye could see - cloud free hills. I thought to myself I hope there are lots of folk out enjoying this day.
The path along SW to the summit is close to the edge but well trodden and not too airy, reaching the top, any wind there was had died away completely and the vista was just picture perfect.
Again a quick snack and it was time to head back, just as I left I bumped into a couple just below the summit, A short chat, and pleasantries exchanged, I mentioned the alternative descent route avoiding the gorge, which they were unaware of, but pleased to know off and I was heading down again. As the route description says return to the point where you first picked up views to the NW, marked by the small cairn and carry on 300m or so and then head down hill across the grass covered slopes, parallel with your ascent route on the opposite side of the waterfalls, crossing the small streams as required, there are small sections of path, but in general it is just a straight forward descent.
By this time I had been out in the sun tooooooooooooo long and was looking forward to soaking my feet in one of the streams.
Bing. Then I thought, cunning plan, hopefully no poor innocent souls around, it was time for a bit of skinny dipping in that pool I had clocked earlier. My descent route took me down to the initial start point at the sheepfold and a quick 2 minute walk and I was back up at the rock pool, quick recce to ensure no poor soul was gonna be traumatised, no one around and it was down to the Ted Grundy's, and straight in.
F*&% ing hell :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: , after restarting my heart it was absolute bliss 8) 8) , truthfully I could have soaked there for a lot longer, but I had a bit of drive ahead. So dried off,dressed, back in my Merrels and I was soon heading back out again.
I won't lie, I really could have done without the walk out, in isolation the walk along the river or the hill are great walks, but combined it was a bit tiresome. And to cap it all the coo's had all congregated across the road in one big herd, with calves :shock: , I thought oh oh. I knew they would be very protective and as I approached slowly it didn't look like any of them were going to move, so I had to hop up hill a little and skirt around them. Soon enough I was back at my car, cleaned up and headed back to the brewery to pick up my reward, 6 bottles of Long Fynes finest. And fyne they were :clap:
All in, a very rewarding day, a cracking drive back with some toons to chill out too. And to cap it all I've just deleted the only phots I had, senior moment creeping in.
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Re: No voyeurs on Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:39 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:And to cap it all I've just deleted the only phots I had, senior moment creeping in.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I feel your pain of old age.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Cheers, GLW. I spent ages looking for them, sad thing is I lost photos of good day on Bhuidhe, but I ve got pics of a crap day in glenshee
aaaaaargh
PS hope you have a grand day with your big mate
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby gman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:46 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:All in, a very rewarding day, a cracking drive back with some toons to chill out too. And to cap it all I've just deleted the only phots I had, senior moment creeping in.

Good stuff, I remember the walk out being a killer & the brewery was shut when I got back :( Definitely taking a bike next time :)

I've deleted photos before but got most of them back with Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks, yeah it is a grind of a walk , The phots I think I ve deleted them from the memory card, but thanks for the heads up, sure I ll need it again :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:53 pm

I started reading this and thought "he's not uploaded his photos yet", a bit later on and I thought "they've obviously been censored" but no
MarilynMunro wrote:And to cap it all I've just deleted the only phots I had, senior moment creeping in.
:shock: :roll: :roll:
What a fyne mess, Jim :lol: Hope you can recover them as it sounded such a wonderful day :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks Sue, Some should have been censored but it must have been divine intervention, they're gone for good
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby gman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:04 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:Thanks, yeah it is a grind of a walk , The phots I think I ve deleted them from the memory card, but thanks for the heads up, sure I ll need it again :lol:

That's what I did, but you can still get them back as long as you haven't filled up the card with new photos - they don't get erased when you delete them. Or you can always go back for more photos & beer :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4

Postby MarilynMunro » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Sorry gman. I thought your fix was for PC , Ill give it ago or go with your second suggestion minus the hill :lol: :lol:
Thanks again
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Smashing report MM- I remember that inviting wee pool- very nice :D :D

Pfftf no photos? What about some pencil drawings instead :crazy: :crazy:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby MarilynMunro » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:25 pm

pollyh33 wrote:Smashing report MM- I remember that inviting wee pool- very nice :D :D

Pfftf no photos? What about some pencil drawings instead :crazy: :crazy:

Cheers Polly
Pool was lovely, don't know how the local wildlife took it :shock:

I' m looking out the crayons as I speak :lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland