walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Wild boar in Lochaber

Wild boar in Lochaber

Postby john928 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:36 pm

In the Leanachan Forest on our way back from the Grey Corries on Sat 8th June 2013 at about 7:30pm, we came across a sow and 2 piglets just at the side of the road. Location was roughly NN239779. We watched them from about 100m away for about 5 mins and got a few minutes of video footage. I managed to capture 2 pictures from the video (only got one of one of the piglets).
Boar1.JPG
Sow on her own (piglet hidden by tree)

BoarandPiglet.JPG
Sow and one of her piglets

We made a bit of noise to let her know we were there and she ran off east, with 2 piglets in tow, along the road for about 500m before heading north into the woods.

Quite an experience and not one we were expecting after a fantastic day in the hills (trip report to follow!)
john928
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Wild boar in Lochaber

Postby morag1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:23 pm

What a wonderful thing to see :D
morag1

Postby Lenore » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Excellent capture!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby JTweedie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:48 pm

I had no idea these were in Scotland. I know there's a well-known population in the south of England.
Are these genuine wild animals, or could they be captive animals that have got loose?
JTweedie

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08 pm

JTweedie wrote:I had no idea these were in Scotland. I know there's a well-known population in the south of England.
Are these genuine wild animals, or could they be captive animals that have got loose?

They must have escaped or were deliberately set loose. They are used to clear up areas where forestry has been clear-felled. I think they are too dangerous when they get big to have them roaming around.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby ballarat » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:42 pm

certainly the corrour estate had them some time ago,i dont suppose you kept a piglet,they taste very nice :)
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby Jock58 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:42 am

There have been free roaming wild boar breeding in the UK for at least thirty years or more and there has been a population established in Galloway for over ten years. They are now as wild and wary as any of their continental cousins and far less dangerous for example than the cattle we are so used to seeing in our beautiful countryside.
All wildlife and large domestic animals should be treat with respect when encountered.
Jock58

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings