walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh

Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh

Postby skye2304 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 22/11/2009

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1610m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Gosh! Spoilt again with the weather. We stopped over in Perth with a couple of walks in mind, depending on the forecast. In the end forecast was not brilliant but I thought if its too bad then a reverse descent back the way we came would be reasonable. Instead the weather, again, was fantastic.
Parking is a little sparse by the side of the road, next to the railway station. The start of the path actually goes under the rail line - thru the dank little tunnel you see on the path up to the station!
As is the norm for walks in this area, the approach up to the Dam is enjoyable with views over Loch Awe.
IMGP1028.JPG
Morning over the Cruachan dam

Looking at Ben Cruachan's profile you might think the climb to the top is a little steep. If it is you don't notice it. The approach up the south ridge is long and tiresome but not as bad as I thought it might be.
IMGP1076.JPG
Looking up the south ridge (no, that's not the top!)

Once you summit, you realise it was all worth it and those reports that say this is one of the best ridge walks in the Highlands - are spot on.
IMGP1100.JPG
A view SW, from the summit of Cruachan

The ridge itself is not fearsome. The northern aspect is precipitous, the southern aspect a steep slope.True, there are one or two easy rocky bits on the initial descent from Ben Cruachan. Even under snow, these were Ok. A very windy day might put you off.
IMGP1103.JPG
The ridge from Ben Cruachan

My only downer was the final descent back to the dam road. That last mile or so down the slope and along the dam was an 'orrible bog!
But take nothing away from what I thought was a perfect, early winter's day outing.
Another one I would definitely recommend doing again.
Last edited by skye2304 on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skye2304
Mountain Walker

Munros:90   
Hewitts:127
Wainwrights:169   

Re: Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:22 am

Great stuff - the last two photos especially good.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby sloosh » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:15 am

Yeah, those photos are great! :)
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mountain coward » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:08 am

Love the photos... especially the last one... but I would find it far too narrow in winter I think - I wasn't keen on that bit in summer (although I did that as my first or second Munro - can't say which as I wasn't 'Munroing' at the time)...
mountain coward

Postby skye2304 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Cheers. I'm really disappointed with photos...I recently bought a Pentax Optio S12 - just for the quick point and shoot whilst out and about.
The camera, for some bizarre reason, insists on stopping down to f/2.8 on any landscape mode. So everything, except the very near, is blurred (as you can see from my recent photos). I am definitely no expert but I think I am going to have to bin it, get my old camera out and put this one down to experience... unless anyone knows a way round it? (no, it doesn't have a manual F-setting)... days like this in Scotland, are far to few to mess up on!
skye2304
Mountain Walker

Munros:90   
Hewitts:127
Wainwrights:169   

Postby Milesy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:52 pm

I was up yesterday. Most of the snow had been scoured off and all there was left was some hard icey nevé. :( And some people at the top with no crampons or ice axes.... Goodness knows how they managed to get up or down :(
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Compact digitals can be annoying.

I suspect you are accidently focussing on the nearpoint (such as trig point) - this will usually put the distance out of focus. Try focussing on something far away (infinity in photo terms) then move the camera to the desired position to frame the shot. This will probably involve holding the release button halfway down (it should beep when it has found something to focus on) while you move the camera. Once in position, fully depress the button. Of course this may be totally irellevent b*ll*cks for your camera :lol: .

Anyway, try it out - hope it helps :)

There will also probably be a chapter in the manual on focussing if you have it.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland