walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowdon from Rhyd-Ddu

Snowdon from Rhyd-Ddu

Postby poppiesrara » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:32 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 19/06/2013

Time taken: 3.75

Distance: 14.25 km

Ascent: 955m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another glorious walking day, and a return to Wales’ highest via the less-trodden western paths.

rhyd-ddu.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There are probably no routes up Snowdon without something to recommend them, but the Rhyd-Ddu Path is one of the best – beautifully pathed over what looks otherwise to be pretty damp terrain, and then rising relatively gently through increasingly dramatic surroundings to finish along a short sharp ridge. The views behind to the Nantlle/Hebog range are fabulous, and – midweek - you can get to within a few feet of the café and the crowds without seeing more than a handful of people. The last mile or so is fantastic along the narrowing Llechog and Bwlch Main ridges, almost like a coward’s Crib Goch – ground falling away steeply on both sides, into the deep bowl of Cwm Clogwyn and across to Y Lliwedd, but without (bar a few exposed yards that you might steer away from in a strong wind) too much sense of danger.
Rhyd-Ddu 002.jpg
Snowdon from the Highland Railway station

Rhyd-Ddu 013.jpg
Llyn Cwellyn between Mynydd Mawr & Moel Eilio

Rhyd-Ddu 024.jpg
Nantlle valley

Rhyd-Ddu 026.jpg
Mynydd Mawr

Rhyd-Ddu 028.jpg
Llyn Coch & Llyn Glas from Llechog

Rhyd-Ddu 031.jpg
Snowdon

Rhyd-Ddu 032.jpg
Moel Cynghorion over Cwm Clogwyn

Rhyd-Ddu 036.jpg
Yr Aran

Rhyd-Ddu 038.jpg
Final ascent to Snowdon

Rhyd-Ddu 042.jpg
Back along Bwlch Main

Rhyd-Ddu 048.jpg
Looking down the Watkin Path to Llyn Llydaw

Rhyd-Ddu 051.jpg
Bwlch Main & Llechog

I can’t get upset about the railway station and café on the summit – as long as it stays the only place with these things it almost adds to the character to see the steamer puffing up, and no-one can really hate their first fresh ice-cold beer on a mountaintop! - but they do mean that you’ll probably never get much peace up there. It probably isn’t worth the effort to battle through the crowds sitting with their picnics and accompanying seagulls to actually reach the trig more than once – I did it 25 years ago and may never again – but you haven’t got to step too far down the northern slopes to escape and admire the views over the lake scenery of the classic Horseshoe.
Rhyd-Ddu 052.jpg
Y Lliwedd

Rhyd-Ddu 055.jpg
Crib y Ddysgl, the Pyg Track looking deceptively precarious...

Rhyd-Ddu 061.jpg
Crib Goch

Not far along the railway line before more quiet walking down the Snowdon Ranger Path. This is pretty easy going in descent, good underfoot and zigzagging comfortably enough over the steeper parts, even if it lacks the drama of the way up – it might be quite a dull trudge done the other way, once the lakes of the cwm slip out of view. There is a cross-country way from here back to Rhyd-Ddu (mapped above), but it isn’t really to be recommended – it’s rough going over some very marshy terrain (the only good walking being up and over the spoil-heaps of the old slate-mine) even now, and outside a dry spell several stretches might be completely impassable; head all the way down to the Snowdon Ranger and either catch a train or dodge along the road instead.
Rhyd-Ddu 070.jpg
Descending the Snowdon Ranger towards Llyn Peris

Rhyd-Ddu 071.jpg
Llechog behind Llyn Coch & Llyn Nadroedd

Rhyd-Ddu 077.jpg
Llyn Ffynnon-y-Gwas

Rhyd-Ddu 082.jpg
Snowdon & Cwm Clogwyn over Llyn Ffynnon-y-Gwas

Rhyd-Ddu 083.jpg
Snowdon Ranger Path below Clogwyn Du'r Arddu

Rhyd-Ddu 092.jpg
Starting on the cross-country return, towards Llyn y Gader & Moel Hebog range

Rhyd-Ddu 096.jpg
Snowdon

Rhyd-Ddu 104.jpg
Moel Eilio & Foel Goch from the old slate-mine

Rhyd-Ddu 106.jpg
Llyn Cwellyn

Apart from the finish, a terrific walk though. Bar the Watkin Path upper screes, I’ve trodden all the main routes up and down Snowdon now and this is close to the best – perhaps the supreme day, with some transport help, would be up the Pyg Track (or, with guts and the right weather, Crib Goch instead) early morning before the crowds, and then down the Rhyd-Ddu Path with the views in front. Plenty might disagree though, there are a lot of choices...!
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Snowdon from Rhyd-Ddu

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:50 am

That looks a wonderful way to walk up Snowdon, amazingly dramatic scenery. Might well tempt me up the big'un next time I visit Wales.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Miniowner » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Great report and pictures..my daughter (JillyBean) and i did Snowdon on June 20th by the Watkin Path..it was a great day weatherwise (although it rained just as we got into the cafe at the top :lol: but was off agin as we left )and apart from the pathless loose scree near the top it is pretty straightforward !! We descended by the same route as we were staying in camping pods just a few hundred yards from the path start point and didn't really fancy a trek miles along the road :crazy: We took 3 hours 25 mins up and 2 hours 45 mins down..an amazing and thoroughly recommended walk :D
Miniowner
Hill Bagger

Munros:77   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:25 pm

I've not been up Snowdon from that side since I was in the Scouts some 40 years ago now. I must do so again on the basis of your report. I think I must have done Rhyd-Ddu in clag, as I'm sure I'd remember that final ridge.

It's funny how the crowds all go up by the same route. I ran down the Llanberis path last August and the crowds were horrendous, but as soon as I diverted off-piste to bag Llechog I had the mountain to myself.

I still bag the summit trig whenever I go up Snowdon. Force of habit, I suppose!
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby poppiesrara » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Cheers, all.

I'm not too sure why the Llanberis route is so much more busy either really, Phil (more parking?, the chance to take the train down?) - there are several other choices that are a fair bit shorter and not really much more difficult. Can't say I have a great memory of it, but I've also got Llechog (the little northern Nuttall) to 'bag', so will be back trying to find some Llanberis-based circuit with a little more charm one day...
poppiesrara
Walker

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:26 pm

poppiesrara wrote:I'm not too sure why the Llanberis route is so much more busy either really, Phil (more parking?, the chance to take the train down?) - there are several other choices that are a fair bit shorter and not really much more difficult. Can't say I have a great memory of it, but I've also got Llechog (the little northern Nuttall) to 'bag', so will be back trying to find some Llanberis-based circuit with a little more charm one day...

I think most "normal" people simply take the "tourist path" up the hill rather than poring over maps to find the most interesting route like users of this forum, which is a shame but at least it gives us a bit more solitude. The Llanberis path is also the most gentle ascent, which I assume a lot of people prefer. Personally I always prefer the steepest ascent in order to gain height quickly!

I don't think you can take the train down only. There would probably be a long queue of tired tourists waiting for a vacant seat if they allowed that!

Llechog is a really nice little hill so long as you stay by the cliff edge above the Pass of Llanberis and avoid the tourist path below. Perhaps doing it on a horseshoe route with the Moel Eilio ridge would be a good circuit.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby poppiesrara » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Cheers, Phil. That looks the best plan for Llechog (I loved the Moel Eilio hills), although the route under the cliffs to the foot of Cynghorion looks like it might be rough-enough going.

You could definitely just get the train down from Snowdon two or three years ago - a couple of my companions ascending (admittedly via Crib Goch) had had more than enough by then and coughed up the £20+ quid for the easy way out. I guess there are enough people riding up then walking down to balance it out - there have been times when I'd have happily paid just to climb a hill and spare my knees the downward bit though!
poppiesrara
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland