walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braeriach & Cairn Toul Traverse and A Series of Mishaps

Braeriach & Cairn Toul Traverse and A Series of Mishaps

Postby Del246 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:02 am

Route description: Cairn Toul - Braeriach traverse

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 18/06/2013

Time taken: 12.5 hours

Distance: 36 km

Ascent: 1450m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Apologies I haven’t been on much in the last 6 months but I can confirm that I am alive and well !! Im still managing to get out around twice a month thanks to my better half !! Meatball (my usual walking partner) can confirm this and also the group of WH members which included Scoob that I bumped into on Ben More in Mull a few weeks back.

Anyway Meatball and I had been trying to organize a day for a while but work keeps getting in the way. The 18/06 looked good as we were both of work. We picked a route on the East and West and waited for MWIS forecast. The forecast came in and it had to be the East although MWIS were quite out with their prediction!!

We were discussing the Megi 5 or The Devils Point 4. We opted for The Devils Point 4 as this would allow Meatball to complete the Cairngorms. Also this is a walk I had always wanted to do since looking over to The Devils Point from Carn a Mhaim last year but was put off by the 23 miles :shock:

So we left Glasgow at 0410 for the drive up. Meatball was 10 minutes late as he says he went into auto pilot on the way to pick me up and had started to drive to work!! Then as we approached Aviemore he drove straight past the cut off and continued along the motorway!! Not a good start for him and it was going to continue :o

We eventually parked up in the Sugarbowl carpark. Getting ready for the off and then Meatball pulls his boots too tight and rips off one of the eyelets !! He was not a happy chappy :(

We then set off walking along the path over the bridge

P1010366.JPG
Setting off

and follow the good track and soon the ski centre is on our left. We continued along and in around 40 minutes we were rock hopping through The Chalamain Gap. I don’t know if its because I know what happened there this winter but I found it quite eerie passing through.

P1010369.JPG
The Chalamain Gap

We then picked up The Lairig Ghru. Both of us had looked forward to walking this but MWIS got it wrong saying it would be dry as it rained most of the way towards the Corrour Bothy which spoiled it a bit for us as there were no real views.

P1010371.JPG
Memorial

We decided to do this walk from The Devils Point to try and give the low level cloud time to lift. Along the The Lairig Ghru we past a memorial, the Pools of Dee and eventually the Corrour Bothy came into sight.

P1010372.JPG
Pools of Dee

P1010373.JPG
Pools of Dee

At this point someone decided a direct route to the Bothy, crossing the river twice would be best and quickest instead of continuing down the path for the bridge. The other person then ended up almost knee deep in water :shock:

And as if by magic as we approached the Bothy the cloud lifted and The Devils Point looked amazing.

P1010381.JPG
The Devils Point from Corrour Bothy

A quick bite to eat and it was straight up for the first Munro of the day. I was soon regretting my food as it was straight up and I was soon regretting not waiting for the summit for a snack !!! It is a steep path up the col and we soon reached the plateau. We ditched our rucksacks and headed up the short distance to the summit of The Devils Point being watched by a ptarmigan and her chicks.

Some quick photos and then we were off.

P1010388.JPG
Corrour Bothy from summit

P1010392.JPG
Summit of Devils Point

We headed back down and put our rucksacks back on :(

The good path then leads you towards Cairn Toul but there is a top, Stob Coire an t-Saighdeir in the road !! I found this section hard going as its a huge boulder field you need to negotiate. It saps your energy hopping from rock to rock especially when you know how many miles have still to come. Once on the top, Cairn Toul looked fantastic, in my opinion an amazing mountain from this angle.

P1010396.JPG
Cairn Toul

P1010400.JPG
Cairn Toul getting closer

We dropped down and then it was up through another boulder field to Cairn Toul. Some quick pics and we were off again.

P1010401.JPG
Cairn Toul summit

P1010402.JPG
Views from Cairn Toul

P1010407.JPG
Views from Cairn Toul

The distance to the third Munro, Sgor an Lochain Uaine or Angels Peak isn’t great but the descent involves another boulder field :(

P1010408.JPG
Angels Peak

P1010409.JPG
Views

We were soon on Sgor an Lochain Uaine, its a short walk from Cairn Toul along a well burnt out path with no difficulties or boulder fields!! As we took some summit pictures Meatball topped his day off by dropping his good camera and totally ruining it :shock: I tried to cheer him up/ make light of the situation but the look I got suggested I was going to get punched or make my own way home from Aviemore :shock: So no more jokes about having to "focus" on the walk ahead or that we would be on the next hill in an "instant" :lol:

I think you can tell by my picture he is not amused!!

P1010416.JPG
Summit of Sgor an Lochain Uaine

Anyway it was then onwards and upwards to Braeriach along a good path however it is a long long walk. Its a very high plateau walk along some amazing looking cliffs. Even at this hight you pass the infant river Dee!
As we closed in on Braeriach so did the weather. No views and I was surprised by the snow still on the summit despite the recent warm weather we have had.

P1010422.JPG
Almost there !!!

P1010428.JPG
Views from Braeriach

P1010435.JPG
Views from Braeriach

P1010437.JPG
Views from Braeriach

P1010439.JPG
Views from Braeriach looking to The Lairig Ghru

Now it was time for the long descent back through The Chalamain Gap and back to the car 12.5 hours later. We even got some nice evening views of Loch Morlich and Meall a Bhuachaille

P1010441.JPG
Loch Morlich and Meall a Bhuachaille

Postives – I climbed in my opinion 4 great Munros and feel a sense of achievement in completing this route. This is by far the longest single day route I have done. Also according to Walkhighlands in completing this in 1 day im “extremely fit”  :lol:

Negatives – I don’t want to see another boulder field for a while ! And my feet are ruined today !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Braeriach & Cairn Toul Traverse and A Series of Mishaps

Postby Meatball » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Smashing report mate.....
See I can say that word now.

It was an expensive week for me but with hindsight it was a grand day out.

Well done with the walk old bean!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Del246 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Cheers mate. Now that I look back minus the aches and pains it was a great day out. Also a big thanks at walking at my pace :)
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Meatball » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:22 pm

All part of the service.
I was very tired on Wednesday when my alarm went off at 0500 for work...
Meatball

Postby Meatball » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:24 pm

It was funny that those boys chose to follow us! They obviously didn't know my history of mis-navigation!
Meatball

Postby Del246 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:33 pm

It was funny how they stopped whenever we did :) following us on the hills is Russian Roulette :)) on a serious note its not the place to go in poor weather with a printed A4 map and I didn't see a compass.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:44 pm

That's a huge effort from both of you,still got this route on my summer wish list,mmmmm may have a re think & do a through route with 2 cars from Sugar Bowl carpark & Linn of Dee,any thoughts.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Del246 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:53 pm

There were other people on the route Gammy but they were all doing it over 2 days staying in the Corrour Bothy. Linn of Dee is also a long walk, I'm not sure how much would be saved.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:10 pm

I feel your mate's pain with the camera. :? It's always a toss up between the larger SLR and wee compact and I'm coming to conclusion for all the difference in quality the wee camera is a lot easier. I've still to do Devil's Point and can't decide if a long walk from Glen Feshie or a long walk from Sugarbowl is better... but now leaning towards doing it your way. Just need someone to do it with! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Del246 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Ment to say thanks Gammy for your comments. Appreciated !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby David-Main » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Well done lads, great effort :clap:
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby Meatball » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:11 pm

Not that I'm biased but I think the route we took was the best one....I may even repeat it in the snow over two days.
Iain Watson did it an easier way if you are concerned re the terrain/distance.
GLW, I think you'll be fine.
Meatball

Postby gyles » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:43 pm

A fantastic walk, especially in 1 day well done. :clap:

I'm planning on doing this one this year, looking at doing the opposite route round, the climbing 1st at Braeriach and walk out through the Lairig Ghru. The boulder fields look testing though!
gyles

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:2

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Its a fair haul right enough and poor luck dropping the camera , still a good report and decent weather :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Del246 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:25 am

dogplodder wrote:I feel your mate's pain with the camera. :? It's always a toss up between the larger SLR and wee compact and I'm coming to conclusion for all the difference in quality the wee camera is a lot easier. I've still to do Devil's Point and can't decide if a long walk from Glen Feshie or a long walk from Sugarbowl is better... but now leaning towards doing it your way. Just need someone to do it with! :wink:

Think I agree with Meatball, the best way to tackle The Devils Point is via the Corrour Bothy. If you get views its looks awesome.
Del246
Munro compleatist

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland