walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of Wirren

Hill of Wirren

Postby davetherave » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Hill of Wirren

Date walked: 29/01/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 485m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Friday 29th January 2010
Completed by. Dave and Wilson
Weather. Clear skies with plenty snow higher up, good
Visibility, very strong winds at times
Distance. 14 km
Time. 4 hrs 30 mins

Hill of Wirren

Starting from Cowie Hill Farm Near Dalbog Edzell

Hill of Wirren.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Never expected to be walking today, but due to the weather I got a lucky escape from work.
Driving up the A90 heading to Aberdeen it soon became apparent that I would not be making it to work today. I got about 7miles north of Laurencekirk then decided that it was not worth the hassle, so I made the call to work and said I was heading back home (another holiday). By the time I got back to Brechin it was after 10am, it had taken 3 hours to travel the tidy sum of 35miles.

Decided I should have plenty time to catch the Graham (The hill of Wirren) up the back of Edzell.

Managed to have some Breakfast, Pack the gear and grab the dog. I was left home by 10.35am and by 10.55 I was parked at the farm.

Was very cold on arrival and the wind was nipping the exposed skin that was on show. Looked like it was going to be a bitterly cold day.

Left the farm heading West passing a open cattle steading on my right and headed through the gate then headed North West for about 400 metres where I arrived at a junction in the track. I decided on taking the more distinct path (mistake), the other path was fairly non distinct so I decided against that one.

lower level heading out.JPG

lower level heading out (1).JPG

Wilson.JPG

After I had travelled ½ km I thought I may be off track as the path was always heading SW I was needing to go more NW, I carried on for about ¾ km and then headed NNW skimming the summit of Hill of Corathro and eventually breaking on to the ridge where the first views of East Wirren were seen. As for the Hill of Wirren, that would not be seen until the summit of East Wirren was reached.

Plenty snow from 500 metres and very very strong winds, but atleast the views were holding out, within no time the summit trig point was reached, and the first sight of the Hill of Wirren came into view.

East Wirren.JPG

East Wirren trig point.JPG

Now im heading for Hill of Wirren about 1.5 km WNW should have been straight forward but the wind had picked up and the severe spin drift hampered visibility, and when my specs steamed/gummed over I could see nothing, I drifted off coarse slightly and ended up in lower ground on the edge of the corrie NO 5307/7345 deep snow and spin drifts this I could have done without.

heading for Hill of Wirren.JPG

heading for Hill of Wirren (2).JPG

Wilson caught in the spin drift.JPG

15 mins later my second trig point of the day is reached Hill of Wirren.

Hill of Wirren trig point.JPG

windy Wilson.JPG

I head back the way I have come, but this time I catch the summit of Hill of Corathro. There is a nice dry stane cairn just off the summit to the SE that has a nice viewpoint over the surrounding countryside. From here the farm can be seen in the distance about 3km away in the distance.

Corathro Cairn.JPG

back to cowie hill farm.JPG

On the outward journey at the junction in the path at NO5732/7178 take the path to your right heading NW. All this will become clear when heading back as the paths can be seen from higher up.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Hill of Wirren

Postby ricardo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:22 am

Wilson certainly looked a bit windswept :lol:
ricardo
Munro compleatist

Munros:20   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:5   

Postby malky_c » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:53 pm

Looks quite breezy! I'm thinking of doing this at some point in the near future. Is this route the best, or did you use it because it is closest to home? There seem to be a few directions you could approach this from.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby hills » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:07 am

Love this area, but havent done this one, so thanks for that. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby mountain coward » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:30 am

Are you sure Wilson really enjoys it in those conditions? He didn't look like he did! Nice photos anyway...

We can't take time off work due to bad weather as that would mean the other shift would be at work for 36 hours straight!
mountain coward

Postby davetherave » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 pm

malky_c wrote:Looks quite breezy! I'm thinking of doing this at some point in the near future. Is this route the best, or did you use it because it is closest to home? There seem to be a few directions you could approach this from.

Malky,
Due to the late start, it was all down to time. The start point was only about 15 minutes from home. The file below was another approach i thought of, It had a circular route around the corrie. Distance was much the same as the route i took.
If i remember there is plenty areas to park around Clochie Farm.

Wirren alternative.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

hills wrote:Love this area, but havent done this one, so thanks for that.

Hills
you are correct, it is a nice area. This is my stomping ground i have lived in the area nearly all my life. Only wish i started walking the hills when i was much younger. :lol:

mountain coward wrote:Are you sure Wilson really enjoys it in those conditions? He didn't look like he did! Nice photos anyway...

We can't take time off work due to bad weather as that would mean the other shift would be at work for 36 hours straight!

MC
I can only assume he enjoys it in all conditions. I hope he does. If he is anything like me , i expect he has good days and bad days. :?
ricardo wrote:Wilson certainly looked a bit windswept

ricardo wrote:Wilson certainly looked a bit windswept

Ricardo
For a small hill it sure was strong winds on the day. Very enjoyable it was !
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland