walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Garry Corbett and Graham

Loch Garry Corbett and Graham

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:42 am

Route description: Beinn Mholach, from Dalnaspidal

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mholach

Fionas included on this walk: Creag a'Mhadaidh

Date walked: 26/06/2013

Distance: 28.7 km

Ascent: 1104m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left the car at the parking area at Dalnaspidal Lodge railway crossing at 0720hrs and took the track on the North West side of Loch Garry which is a right of way to Rannoch. Weather clear, bright and dry with good visibility.
1.JPG
Bridge crossing looking down the length of Loch Garry.
2.JPG
View down the loch. Track gives for good walking speed and ideal for the bicycle
3.JPG
On the shoreline before you reach the pumping station. Track has no undulations to speak of, until after the pumping station approx. 4.5k, then there is a small climb but nothing to prevent you cycling up. After another 1.5k the track/path now gets a bit obscure in what could be quite boggy after heavy rainfall, but keep on skirting around at low level below the base of Meall Doire until you reach the Allt Shallainn
4.JPG
When you reach the river go upstream where the ATV track/path still very indistinct heads parrallel with the river until you reach a bridge crossing. Prior to reaching the river do not be misled by a track on the South shoulder of Sron nam Mhadaidh not shown on the OS map.
5.JPG
Good bridge over Allt Shallainn
6.JPG
About half a killometer futher on after crossing the bridge on what is now an excellent track on your left tucked away is Duinish bothy, wher I was intending to have a break but seeing it surrounded with highland cattle and my recent experience with cows decided to give it a swerve and headed on up the track to the high point at 623649 and headed off East in the direction of the Graham Creag a Mhadaidh, an easy climb with a few wet peat hags to avoid
7.JPG
Photograph taken on track looking towards Duinish bothy and Loch Garry
8.JPG
Deer have not smelt nor heard me yet
9.JPG
They have deffinately seen me now!
10.JPG
View from the cairn reached in about 2.5hrs from leaving the carpark
11.JPG
Good track to Rannock (photograph looking towards Bothy East)
12.JPG
Headed back to the track and and crossed over the first bridge before reaching the bothy and went up the North East shoulder of Creag nan Gabhar and followed the ridge taking the high points and missing the peat hags on my right as much as possible
13.JPG
Huge summit Cairn, Schiehallion in background and Trig point on Beinn-Mholach, a very fine viewpoint all around with good views over the Drumochter Munros
14.JPG
Pumping station equipment on Loch Garry
15.JPG
Signage on the pumphouse wall re the Loch Garry Tunnel
16.JPG
Track back to Dalnaspidal Lodge, in the background you can just make out the utter destruction being carried out by contractors working on the new pylon project at Drumochter pass, there must be at least six access roads being created within a half mile range off the A9, scandalous vandalism with huge scars on the countryside which has been given the thumbs up by the Scottish Government. Hang your heads in shame! If your intending to climb these hills in the near future, please keep your eyes on the lookout for a lost brown labrador cross dog with a blue collar, Benji has been lost for well over a week now, you can find out more details in the General Discussion section.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Loch Garry Corbett and Graham

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Rod

Two hills I've never climbed having just done the Munros in this part of the world.

Looks like a good day out but a shame about the circumstances for being in the area.

Definitely a walk I'd like to do some time in the future.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Gordie, the forecast was pretty good visibility was concerned so I packed the binoculars and thought that both high points in the walk would make ideal view points as regards the area I could cover, especially at the back of Drumochter hills, very sad still no sign of Benji though. I'd recommend the walk and the walk through to Rannoch would be really good as well if we had two cars, fancy that sometime? :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Merry-walker » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi Rod

Great report and pictures. . I like the route you took, looks to have covered a good sized area and you walked quite far.

It's hard but we'll have to keep going back...
Many thanks for every thing you have done to help find Benji. We'll never forget your help
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Hi there Jac and Ronnie, I cannot imagine the torment you are going through just now, stay positive, I like you, just don't really know where best to search for Benji, it's times like these that you realise just how large the area is. Maybe now is the time to request assistance from as many WH members and friends as possible to do an organised search on a given day (good clear weather) at a given time, say meeting at the B and B at Balsporran, I'm certainly willing to add my name to the search party. There is not much more than I can suggest, hang on in and God Bless, Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:42 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Gordie, the forecast was pretty good visibility was concerned so I packed the binoculars and thought that both high points in the walk would make ideal view points as regards the area I could cover, especially at the back of Drumochter hills, very sad still no sign of Benji though. I'd recommend the walk and the walk through to Rannoch would be really good as well if we had two cars, fancy that sometime? :)

Yip.

I was looking at either the Lairig Ghru or Chest of Dee to Tomintoul via the Fords of Avon as my next (non hills) walk but Dalnaspidal Lodge down to Loch Rannoch would be good as well.

Planned to do these two hills from Loch Rannoch.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Gordie, the forecast was pretty good visibility was concerned so I packed the binoculars and thought that both high points in the walk would make ideal view points as regards the area I could cover, especially at the back of Drumochter hills, very sad still no sign of Benji though. I'd recommend the walk and the walk through to Rannoch would be really good as well if we had two cars, fancy that sometime? :)

Yip.

I was looking at either the Lairig Ghru or Chest of Dee to Tomintoul via the Fords of Avon as my next (non hills) walk but Dalnaspidal Lodge down to Loch Rannoch would be good as well.

Planned to do these two hills from Loch Rannoch.

Gordie,

Don't forget the other Corbett on the South side of Loch Ericht Stob an Aonaich Mhoir 855 :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland