walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Challum

Beinn Challum

Postby JimboJim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 26/06/2013

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 12.75 km

Ascent: 910m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was looking like a solo hike on the cards as weather looked ok for a day or two. At a late hour Billygoats got my email and was up for a return to Ben Challum, where he'd previously had to turn back due to heavy snow conditions. Sounded good to me, not having been there myself.
We parked in the layby on the A85, just a couple of miles south of Tyndrum and set off just about 10 a.m., crossing the road and onto the track to Kirkton Farm, which soon leads to St Fillan's Church ruins. As described on the site, one quickly turns right, to head onto the hill, passing an older group of headstones, then a newer cemetery, with two trees in the grounds. Today, it was no problem seeing the railway crossing and deer fence, which was to guide us for much of the route, hence navigation wasn't much of an issue.
DSCF4580_1227_800_1024_668.JPG
Just about the railway crossing.
DSCF4579_1067_800.JPG
Cemetery

There are certainly quite a few boggy bits on the grassy route, but usually an escape could be had without much diversion. I enjoyed the terrain, as it provided a mixture of gradients and I'm sure Billy appreciated it more so, having been a stranger to the hills for a while. After a steeper section, it would level out a bit and one could take a breather, a photo of the developing views, or a wee drink. There were quite a few others ahead of us, as we got to the steeper section, up towrds the south top. Although it looked somewhat daunting, it actually proved less steep and more comfortable than I first thought. Soon we were pulling our way onto the ridge, onto more stoney ground.
We chose not to go up to the south top, but made our way deftly (a posh way of saying daftly?) across the rocky cleft and narrow path towards the summit, which was soon reached after a further wee climb. Just about two and three quarter hours to the top. There were a few others had beat us to the cairn, enjoying the shelter of the large mound of stones, as the wind alternated between a cold chill, or nice and warm, depending on cloud cover. The views are mighty impressive, in all directions. Glen Orchy hills, Glencoe and the Ben, Beinn Heasgarnaich, Ben More, Stob Binnein, other Crianlarich hills and of course the massive shape of Ben Lui and more. Just a pity it was a bit hazy.
DSCF4578_1091_800.JPG
Ben Lui.
DSCF4572_1000_800.JPG
Satisfied chappy!
DSCF4575_1068_800.JPG
Bored chappy?

After some food and fluids, we joined the trail back down, which was more or less the same as we had come up, getting back to the car in four and three quarter hours. A good day and hopefully won't be long till we get the Billygoat back on the slopes!
DSCF4585_1054_800.JPG
Crossing River Fillans.
DSCF4583_1118_800.JPG
Hard work over, Billy!

And, finally a question for you more knowledgeable types - who was Challum? Might just have been a distant relative of mine.
Attachments
DSCF4577_1212_800_1024_676.JPG
Headin' doon.
DSCF4574_1068_800.JPG
Happy chappy?
DSCF4571_998_800.JPG
Made it!
DSCF4569_1099_800.JPG
Towards south top from summit.
DSCF4564_1111_800.JPG
Billy playing with his widget again!
DSCF4562_1154_800.JPG
Beinn Dorain.
BC.jpg
Towards Ben More and Stob Binnein
DSCF4581_1067_800.JPG
Well educated cuddies in Breadalbane.
Last edited by JimboJim on Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Who was (Ben) Challum?

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Two possibilities jump into mind without doing any kind of research. Challuim is Gaelic for Malcolm. Could be named after the ancient King of Scots Malcolm I. Or St. Columba had an acolyte called Malcolm. Could be either.

Nice to see the views from Ben Challum, we got next to none in the clag a fortnight ago. The cleft and narrow path below the south summit is eerie in the fog!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby JimboJim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:00 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:Two possibilities jump into mind without doing any kind of research. Challuim is Gaelic for Malcolm. Could be named after the ancient King of Scots Malcolm I. Or St. Columba had an acolyte called Malcolm. Could be either.

Nice to see the views from Ben Challum, we got next to none in the clag a fortnight ago. The cleft and narrow path below the south summit is eerie in the fog!

Thanks for info, ScottishLeaf. Perhaps with St Fillans Church being at the foot of the mountain, there may be a religious connection?
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:55 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:

My experience too, when I did this in May, also with rain, and lying snow in the cleft. So it is nice to see you got the views, Jim. It's good to see those photos.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Malcolm is a name derived from the element "Mael" meaning disciple , "Colm" is the element for St Columba's
so Malcolm is a disciple of St Colm Cille (Columba).

Could be named after one of Columba's (given the religious significance of the Strath) or a later historical person named Malcolm who may only have been a herdsman or hunter on that specific hill :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland