walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glenshee 9, Kendal Mint Cake & Feet In Tatters

Glenshee 9, Kendal Mint Cake & Feet In Tatters

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:32 am

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn an Tuirc, Càrn Aosda, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol, The Cairnwell, Tolmount, Tom Buidhe

Date walked: 30/06/2013

Time taken: 13.45 hours

Distance: 35 km

Ascent: 1816m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did this walk slightly differently to the conventional way of doing it.

The original plan was as I finish early on Friday, go home sort myself out for work next week and go to bed for a few hours and drive up to Glenshee, this didn't happen, instead I was still wide awake at 10pm. So I went stuff it, jumped in the car and drove up. I parked up about 1am and got my head down. I woke up at 3 it being so light, I'd love to say it was the sun splitting the sky but no, it was just light. I got up got ready and I was off at 0345 with plan to try and catch the sunrise on Carn Aosda.

The ascent up Carn Aosda was a bit non descript, it's near on impossible to get lost, though the last wee bit is a bit steep, my achilles was having a moan but that would soon stretch out. I reached the summit in 45 mins and took the usual photos and had a quick sit down. I debated whether this deserved a summit ciggie or not while I waited on the sunrise. I waited 10 mins, finished my ciggie and decided it was too cloudy to get a sunrise so I set off again.

Carn Aosda by GaryE1872, on Flickr

The descent to the bealach was quite pleasant despite the churned up tracks I'd seen on the ascent. I'd just swung round where Sron Na Gaoithe (I think it's that one) comes into view and there was the sun making its way up, unfortunately it didn't stop the wind which was blowing at a rate of knots and would do all day.

DSC_0487 by GaryE1872, on Flickr

The walk out to Carn a Gheoidh I think was the most pleasant of the day, I chose to take the lower level path on the way out and the one next to the ridge on the way back. I was making good time, it only took about an hour to walk out.

Carn a Gheoidh by GaryE1872, on Flickr

The Cairnwell was probably the most uninspiring hill I've ever done, landrover track the way up and difficult to get a photo of the Cairn with out something being in the way.

The Cairnwell by GaryE1872, on Flickr

The descent off The Cairnwell was steep but easy going, I scared a herd of deer away, although I'm still not sure if it was the sight of me or my heavy breathing. I hit the bottom and started the ascent up towards Glas Maol, talk about a right calf burner, this became the "Ascent Of The 50 Steps" seemed to take me forever to ascend but finally I was up, my feet didn't thank me though, I looked at the bypass pass which would take me over to Creag Leacach. So I had a better idea, ascend to Glas Maol then walk over.

Glas Maol by GaryE1872, on Flickr

The walk over to Creag Leacach was interesting, not only was it narrow and bouldery the wind seemed to decide, now would be a good time strengthen, I'm not afraid to say, I was ******* myself. So I touched the Cairn (no photo) and made my way back towards Glas Maol then down to the Bealach and made my way up towards Cairn Of Claise. 5 Munro's down and I was just about to hit 6, I hadn't seen a single person all day, then suddenly the hills became like Sauchiehall Street. I had good chat with someone who was on his 2nd round. He was heading to Tolmount while I made my way to the Cairn for a sit down and a ciggie. For the 1st time today I had to dig my map out as what I thought was Tom Buidhe, wasn't, it was Druim Mor, just as well I'd double checked :lol:

Cairn Of Claise by GaryE1872, on Flickr

The descent to Tom Buidhe was boggy but not so bad that you were easily able to pick a way through and I shortly having yet another summit ciggie and devouring more mint cake, I was on to my 2nd slab, met the same guy I had spoken to at Cairn Of Claise and we had a better chat this time round, other routes, different hills etc.

Tom Buidhe by GaryE1872, on Flickr

The descent and ascent to reach Tolmount I think was the easiest of the day and I was up in no time, however what I hadn't realised at the time was that the ascent back up was going to be a bit of a slog. Nothing for it, head down and just go, not only were my feet having a right good go at me, I was starting develop other "issues", not long now 8 down,1 more to go, finally made it up to the Bealach that would take me to Carn An Tuirc and the finishing line was in sight. The ascent up was fine, just trying to pick a path through the ankle breaking scree and finally that was it, all 9 were done. All that was left was the descent, which looked "interesting" I remember reading to head west north wesr from the Cairn, so I head over and just picked my way down trying to avoid the loose rocks where possible. Finally hit the path that would take me out, it was slow going, maybe because my body knew we were almost at the end, my feet were getting really sore, my other "issues" were getting worse but made it to the main road, where I managed to thumb a lift back to the Ski Centre.

Tolmount by GaryE1872, on Flickr

Carn an Tuirc by GaryE1872, on Flickr

All in all it was a cracking day and the weather stayed reasonable.

Use the link below for the photos

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151729070296926.1073741831.545136925&type=1&l=8a0b315467
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Backpacker on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Glenshee 9, Kendal Mint Cake & Feet In Tatters

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:23 pm

A fine effort, Backpacker. Maybe the route was quite unconventional, but it got you to all your targets. I, too, know all about sore feet in the Glen Shee and Braemar area!
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:34 pm

simon-b wrote:A fine effort, Backpacker. Maybe the route was quite unconventional, but it got you to all your targets. I, too, know all about sore feet in the Glen Shee and Braemar area!

I've never been known to be conventional :lol:

I wouldn't take that route again though, the ascent to Glas Maol really was a struggle (for me anyway) looking at the route again I really should have,

A. Started with that side

or

B. headed south and skirted round Meall Gorm to make the ascent up to Creag Leacach
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Good effort on my local hills, never done nine at one time though :clap: Weather looked good, main thing was clear visibility, can be confusing in bad weather. Some very clear photographs, what camera do you use? Well done again, 9 Blue Balloons :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:47 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Good effort on my local hills, never done nine at one time though :clap: Weather looked good, main thing was clear visibility, can be confusing in bad weather. Some very clear photographs, what camera do you use? Well done again, 9 Blue Balloons :D

Hi Rod

Weather was great yesterday, just a stiff breeze all day and seemed to strengthen when I was heading over to Creag Leacach hence why it was out the and straight back.

I could see why it could be confusing, I mistook Druim Mor for Tom Buidhe when I was heading over to Cairn Of Claise (in my defence I could see what I thought was a Cairn at the top)

I'm still very, very much in the Point n Shoot category and just use my phone (Sony Ericsson Experia Ray) for taking photo's, it has an auto-focus which does help. It's never going to win me any awards but does the trick for me.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:34 pm

Excellent effort and another fine multi-bag :clap:

Your feet much have been wrecked after that lot :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Backpacker » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:16 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Excellent effort and another fine multi-bag :clap:

Your feet much have been wrecked after that lot :lol:

Believe it or not, my feet were fine this morning, maybe a wee bit tender. All I have to show for it is a small blister on my heel. :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Postby GrahamMoffat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Backpacker , Glad you bagged the 9 a fantastic days walking , I managed the 5 up there yesterday , was a great day .
I was the walker who spoke to you as you were ready to ascend Tollmount.
Was nice to speak to you , cheers
GrahamMoffat

Postby haringit » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:39 pm

Reminded me of my sleepless night before setting of at 4.30 to do the 6 a few years ago. Tolmount is quite hard to place when you're looking down onto it, it's quite a distance as well!
haringit
Mountain Walker

Postby Backpacker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:56 am

GrahamMoffat wrote:Hi Backpacker , Glad you bagged the 9 a fantastic days walking , I managed the 5 up there yesterday , was a great day .
I was the walker who spoke to you as you were ready to ascend Tollmount.
Was nice to speak to you , cheers

aye was good to speak to you to, to be honest I don't think I had any choice but to finish it :lol: once you're up there you're up
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland