walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Claggy Cruachan

A Claggy Cruachan

Postby basscadet » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:41 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 23/06/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15.6 km

Ascent: 1450m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So after a rather late, midge plagued car camp at a spot in Glen Orchy, we arrived at Cruachan to do the ridge. The weather forecast was promising, but overnight rain was being slow to clear. :? The visitor centre had signs up saying the car park is locked at 5.45, so we parked on a muddy layby next to the railway station. :roll:

Cruachan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set off, up the steps toward the station, taking the blue gate to go under the tracks. The path continues up big brick steps to an electricity substation, but a wee path up to the side started heading steep uphill and was reassuringly well trodden. It wasn’t until a bit higher up we realised the path on the map goes up the other side of the burn. :D The path we chose was interesting underfoot, and wove through the forest and high bracken with hardly a view of anything.

We heard the Cruachan falls but certainly couldn’t see them. :(
Up above the trees, there was a stiff breeze which aided our ascent – so good not to be literally wilting on a walk like I have been of late. :thumbup:
After a big crooked stile took us over the deer fence, the incline got a lot less steep and the views started to open up. The Dam came into view looming on the horizon, the hills behind unfortunately still in clag.

We reached the wee hydro road, went up to the left a bit and then up a grassy bank to a huge metal ladder which took us up onto the dam.

It was really windy, so we hunkered down behind a wall for a while for a snack. :)
The track down the loch only took a few minutes then a path headed up left – boggy at first, but improving underfoot somewhat as we got a bit higher.

It was a really lovely wee corrie, with many streams and waterfalls to take our minds off the stiff climb. :D

The usual eroded zig-zags took us up the end of the corrie to the ridge, just below the clag line.

A steep rocky section, led to another, then another – so many false summits! Eventually, the broken trig and cairn were reached. Brrr, really cold and windy up there – so we huddled out of the wind, in amongst the rocks near the summit for a break.

We continued along the ridge, a couple of wee scrambles necessary. At one point I couldn’t see the way forward at all, until Dougie pointed out the rather large path off to the right – Darn this clag! :lol:
We reached a big steep slab in our path. I put one foot on it and slipped straight away in the wet..

Hmm, maybe the bypass path today.. :roll: Even the bypass was fun though, across boulderfields, and weaving past wee crags and slabs. :D We were soon back on the ridge, undulating over a few small tops, seeing occasional tantalising fleeting views of Loch Etive and Starav.

Some bits of the ridge were almost too windy for boulder-field hopping, but we made it along fine, with just the odd ‘bracing’ moment. We came across a cairn, and a path down just before a top.

We continued along the ridge a bit – my alarm bells ringing, as the baggers path had developed a moss coating.. :think: We were having too much fun though – what a good bit of the ridge that is!

A few hundred yards on though, I told Dougie of my fears that we were going the wrong way.. A quick check of the map told us we were heading down Drochaid Ghlass.. :shock: So nothing to do but the really cool bit of ridge again back to the cairn – what a hardship! :lol:
So down the baggers path, steep and eroded, down to much grassier slopes and finally getting down below the clag for a bit.

The climb up to Stob Diamh was short and we didn’t spend much time on the summit, as there was no shelter to be had from the chill winds :(

so we headed onward, making extra sure we got the right ridge this time ;) There were a couple of tops along the ridge, one we climbed, the next we bypassed, looking for the path down. We must of missed the path, but its fine grassy walking so we headed for the mouth of the dam, and did find the path further on, but wished we hadn’t as it was pretty boggy and nae much fun. :thumbdown:

Once at the Dam, we decided to take the path the other side of the stream, and regretted it because although it is the path marked on the OS map, and therefore the one you would expect to be better.. It was a lot rougher in places, and my hopes of seeing the Cruachan falls were dashed – no views from this side either.. :(
Oh well, a good hill to do in the clag, because there is so much interesting stuff happening at your feet, :D but I’ll definitely be back for this one again by a different route – Just a fabulous hill this!
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: A Claggy Cruachan

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Ach shame you got the mist ,did these and the Corbett in snow and ice in March .... magic views :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby PeteR » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Yeah, real shame about the weather on these two, as they give great views when the sun shines, although you still got some nice moody shots at times. And you'll have a good reason to return on a better weather day :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby GillC » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 am

Nice, and your pics show me something of what I missed when I did Cruachan in a total shroud of mist and rain a couple of years ago, straight up,,not via the horseshoe. Thing is,,I don't remember a thing about it, a) cos I was being lead by someone who had the route etc all worked out and b)we couldn't see a thing, would love to get back up there and do the horseshoe route, with at least a smidge of visibility lol. :crazy:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:41 pm

pity about the weather, bc - had a similar day of no views myself and am hoping to get back some day when it's clear - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:30 pm

oh them slippy slabs. Like others i did this on a fairly clear day too, which is unusual for me :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby basscadet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Och, sorry for the late replies folks.. I kind of forgot about this post :lol:

You may think it was a shame about the clag but it doesn't really matter to me - the hills will outlive me and there is plenty time to see them all again another time :) I'd rather weather like I had on Cruachan than the unbearable heat we have had of late anyways.. :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland