walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Third time lucky - Bruach na Frithe

Third time lucky - Bruach na Frithe

by johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Route description: Bruach na Frithe

Munros included on this walk: Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 03/06/2012

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 939m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Third time lucky - Bruach na Frithe

Postby martyn » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:00 am

Great report, JKLL! It was sitting on the summit of BnF, looking along the whole length of the ridge to the south, on a clear, sunny June day in 2007 that sowed the seed for me moving up here. I relocated to Skye February 2012 and have picked off a few more Cuillin Munros, including the Inaccessible Pinnacle on Sgurr Dearg last week, but the walk up BnF from Sligachan still remains my favourite (all weather) walk. I'm hoping to climb BnF again via the NW ridge tomorrow or Tuesday before heading to London for a few days' business/family stuff.
MattBonnie - choose a good day and there's no reason why you couldn't get up either BnF or SnB toting a baby-carrier perfectly safely - just avoid a claggy day with any risk of wind-buffeting higher up. I'd suggest walking poles for extra stability on the steeper sections of scree path approaching the top of Fionn Choire on BNF or the scree path up to An Diallaid en route to SnB. I suspect midgies are more of a menace to your baby than the walk, judging by the net-festooned carriers I've seen up here. Enjoy!
martyn
Munro compleatist

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:37 pm

MattBonnie wrote:JK,
Great post! My wife and I are going back to Skye this summer, this time with our 4-month old baby girl. We've only hiked northern Skye, not the Cuilllins. We're considering Bruach an Frithe or Sgurr na Banachdich. Would you say it is possible (and not completely crazy) to complete this hike with a baby carrier on me? Guides say no scrambling necessary but a first hand account is always best...
Thanks!

I'd say Bruach would be your best bet due to it being a gentle ascent in the main. Banachdich is straightforward but really rather steep. Just make sure you pick a really good day weather wise. Even if you don't bag a Munro there is loads of routes in the foothills to wander that still give a good flavour of the majestic Cuillin.

martyn wrote:Great report, JKLL! It was sitting on the summit of BnF, looking along the whole length of the ridge to the south, on a clear, sunny June day in 2007 that sowed the seed for me moving up here. I relocated to Skye February 2012 and have picked off a few more Cuillin Munros, including the Inaccessible Pinnacle on Sgurr Dearg last week, but the walk up BnF from Sligachan still remains my favourite (all weather) walk. I'm hoping to climb BnF again via the NW ridge tomorrow or Tuesday before heading to London for a few days' business/family stuff.
MattBonnie - choose a good day and there's no reason why you couldn't get up either BnF or SnB toting a baby-carrier perfectly safely - just avoid a claggy day with any risk of wind-buffeting higher up. I'd suggest walking poles for extra stability on the steeper sections of scree path approaching the top of Fionn Choire on BNF or the scree path up to An Diallaid en route to SnB. I suspect midgies are more of a menace to your baby than the walk, judging by the net-festooned carriers I've seen up here. Enjoy!

Thanks for the kind words. We would love to move to Skye but just can't see it happening in all honesty :( Well done to making the jump however, needless to say I'm very jealous :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby colgregg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
BobMcBob wrote:Nice report. The views from Bruach are my favourite out of the Cuillin summits I've been to. I climbed it last year on a sunny afternoon and spent at least an hour on top taking photos, as with every passing minute the light changed and the ridge looked different. I like your word 'savagery' - that's a good word for the view of the ridge :clap:

It is a wonderful place on a good day, I could have spent hours up there. Thanks for the kind comments.

colgregg wrote:Great report JK It's certainly a dramatic summit. Bruach was my First Skye Munro on my first solo visit having been forced back from the bealach the previous year due to appalling weather. Just planning a Scottish foray for next week and your pics have got me thinking about unfinished business there.....................

I don't know why but Bruach was a far more dramatic summit than I was expecting. I'd seen plenty pics but they just don't do it justice. As for bad weather the Cuillin ridge is no place to be in poor conditions that's for sure. It was misty when we topped Sgurr na Banachdich and even that gave me a slight feeling of unease.
So is your unfinished business on the Inn Pin or Gillean then?

Both are on the hit list along with Sgurr a Mhadaidh & Sgurr a Ghreadaidh plus a revisit to Alasdair in the hope of seeing what I missed last time when I did it in thick mist. Once they are done I'll be happy.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby clivew » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Great report and great pictures; I was there 10 days ago, the cloud was down and we reached the summit but couldn't see a hand in front of you, so at least now I know what it all looks like on a good day. :lol: :lol:
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ciderpeter » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:04 pm

How did the dog find it? I wondered if Todd would manage this one, I guess the answer is yes!

Ps - more great pics of the cuillin, not sure what we did wrong to get the weather we did last week!! :lol:
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:10 pm

ciderpeter wrote:How did the dog find it? I wondered if Todd would manage this one, I guess the answer is yes!

Ps - more great pics of the cuillin, not sure what we did wrong to get the weather we did last week!! :lol:

Fine for the most part. It's a bit rough on the paws for the final sections but he managed it ok. Not sure I'd take a dog up the other "easy" Cuillin, Banachdich. Far too rough under foot for dogs.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Great stuff JK some stunning pics and a great read..Dont know how but I missed this one earlier :? :?

Wonderful just wonderful :clap: :clap:

One for the Mrs and me to consider
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Postby simon-b » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Awesome scenery, John. It doesn't get much better than that.

You say you're happy with the three you've done. Will you be tempted to try any more on Skye?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:37 pm

L-Hiking wrote:Great stuff JK some stunning pics and a great read..Dont know how but I missed this one earlier :? :?

Wonderful just wonderful :clap: :clap:

One for the Mrs and me to consider

Thanks LH

simon-b wrote:Awesome scenery, John. It doesn't get much better than that.

You say you're happy with the three you've done. Will you be tempted to try any more on Skye?

The South ridge of Bla Bheinn is next on the list but after that I think we could be tempted to have a go at Sgurr a Mhadaidh via the sneaky gully off An Dorus, also Sgurr nan Eag might be worth a try once Grace gets a few years older. As for the others I keep dreaming about Gillean but it always turns into a nightmare :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Lenore » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:58 am

Lovely photos as always! :clap: :clap: Do you remember more or less where you were standing when you took the last photo, 'sunset over Broadford Bay'?
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:17 am

Lenore wrote:Lovely photos as always! :clap: :clap: Do you remember more or less where you were standing when you took the last photo, 'sunset over Broadford Bay'?

Thanks Lenore. The last photo was taken from the beach at Lower Breakish aprox grid reference NG684242 right next to the cottage we were staying at. Watch out for the psycho collie dog however.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Absolutely fabulous and you've whetted my appetite for when we're in Skye later in year. :D

Your daughter and Westie did well. :clap: Just wondering if I can persuade/cajole other half to join me on this one! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:47 pm

dogplodder wrote:Absolutely fabulous and you've whetted my appetite for when we're in Skye later in year. :D

Your daughter and Westie did well. :clap: Just wondering if I can persuade/cajole other half to join me on this one! :wink:

Thank you, It's a really easy walk great underfoot till you get high in the Corrie. Even then it's really not too bad just a bit lose and rocky. Just going to the bealach would be a day out to remember.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby clivegrif » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi Anthony

Great report and belting pics as ever.

Hope Hughie's paws were okay, Gabbro is like course grade sandpaper and scrambling about on it shredded my fingertips.

He is an intrepid little dog that one! :clap:
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 pm

clivegrif wrote:Hi Anthony

Great report and belting pics as ever.

Hope Hughie's paws were okay, Gabbro is like course grade sandpaper and scrambling about on it shredded my fingertips.

He is an intrepid little dog that one! :clap:

Did this walk last June so he's more that fine :wink: Nice to have the report resurrected as it's just brought back memories of one of our all time favorite walks.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland