walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Teallach pinnacles

An Teallach pinnacles

Postby stevehgate » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Route description: An Teallach, Dundonnell

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill (An Teallach), Sgùrr Fiona (An Teallach)

Date walked: 12/06/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a 7.5 hr drive we arrived at the bunkhouse,dumped our stuff and decided to stretch our legs by walking up the road to the Ardessie falls ,even in mist its a stunning place to be.
042.JPG

We checked the weather forecast for thursday , not good ,35 to 45mph winds, showers and low cloud.

we got the bikes out of the van and cycled down to the Dundonnell Hotel for an evening meal and a few pints ,also to discuss our strategy.

3rd time staying in a bunkhouse,1st time in the presence of a persistent snorer (kitted out with ear-plugs as well)
after an hour ,decided to kip in van.
after a good breakfast we drove down to the hotel and left our bikes round the back,then carried on to the car park at corrie hallie

our target for the day unfortunately in mist.

047.JPG

053.JPG

we arrived at the chockstone gully,Dave had read it was a good preliminary for what we were to do later,so we went for it,easy climb with serious consequences,you can say that again.
067.JPG

070.JPG

an teallach 012.JPG
me looking a bit sheepish

071.JPG

072.JPG

075.JPG

076.JPG

077.JPG

079.JPG
Lord Berkeley's seat, i think .not a place to smoke a pipe today !!

After the chockstone gully we continued upwards.

The wind had picked up now as we approached the so called bad step.
standing below the overhanging boulder above us ,about 10 to 15 mtrs ,i think we both new that,that was our route,
After much discussion due to the conditions, we both agreed to traverse left and then climb a chimney.
concentration needed now.
having reached the top and continuing along the ridge ,we came across Lord Berkeleys seat,we peered over but today was not a place to sit and smoke a pipe !

It was the pinnacles we came to do and the munros of Sgurr Fiona and Bidein a ghlas thuilll were a bonus
we are not climbers but a ridge like that gets the adrenalin pumping and thats what we love !!!

having reached the road by the hotel ,we retrieved our bikes and cycled back to the van at corrie hallie.
drove back to the bunkhouse,showered and cycled back to the dundonnel hotel for beer and eats.

(i forgot my wallet so had to go back,passed a bloke 3 times who was walking on the road,must of thought i was mad !! )

the following day we did the 4 munros of Beinn Dearg
an teallach 023.JPG

no scary ridges but a truly stunning landscape.
stevehgate
Stravaiging

Munros:223   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:95
Wainwrights:117   

Re: An Teallach pinnacles

Postby simon-b » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Well done, Steve, taking on the pinnacles without good visibility. I took the bypass due to the mist a couple of weeks later. It sounds like you did have views to enjoy on the Beinn Dearg 4.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland