walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

another 'what hills can you see from this hill' thread

another 'what hills can you see from this hill' thread

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:29 am

Had a glorious day getting burn to a crisp above Glen feshie yesterday and the views mid afternnon were tremendous.

On the summit of Beinn Bhrotain the Lomonds in Fife were as clear as could be, as were the central highlands and over to Lochaber.

North/North West I could see a few jaggier peaks I hadn't expected to see. Would I be able to see Glen Affric/Kintail from there? the distance is no bother just wondered if there would be anything blocking my view. I also reckoned I could see Ben Starav in the far south west, does this sound feasible or was it Glencoe I was seeing?

What do people think the best spot is to give you a view of most of Scotland? I think the western cairngorms would have to be the best place, central highlands are a bit too bunched up. I haven't been up Ben Alder or Creag Megaidh yet, these may be other contenders.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Re: another 'what hills can you see from this hill' thread

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 pm

I haven't done too many munros yet but of those I've done, little Stuchd an Lochain opened up views to almost every hill in the central highlands, from Glencoe, to Lochaber, Alder to the Cairngorms, the Mounth etc etc. Stunning on a good day!
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Sabbathstevie wrote:I haven't done too many munros yet but of those I've done, little Stuchd an Lochain opened up views to almost every hill in the central highlands, from Glencoe, to Lochaber, Alder to the Cairngorms, the Mounth etc etc. Stunning on a good day!

I would go along with this. Although much maligned, Meall Buidhe across the loch has the best views of Buchaile Eitve Mor across Rannoch moor and down Glencoe. Up there as one of the best viewpoints in Scotland.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I was on An Teallach on a clear day and I could see Ben Nevis, Ben Klibreck, and the Cuillin along with everything in between. That must count as a fair portion of Scotland!
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:31 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:Had a glorious day getting burn to a crisp above Glen feshie yesterday and the views mid afternnon were tremendous.

We were just next to you yesterday, on Ben MacDui, and I agree, fantastic vistas from that area... We could clearly see many peaks, from Ben Nevis to Lochnagar and Ben Rinnes. The day was spectacular.
The Fannichs are good viewpoints as well, especially the outlier Fionn Bheinn, but my favourite viewpoint was Glamaig on Skye. Maybe not the most extensive panoramas, but with the Black Cuillin just next to you, it's just beautiful.

Not sure if Affric Hills can be seen from the Cairngorms. The western horizon was a bit cloudy, I could just about make the shape of Ben Wyvis - here right in the middle of this photo, the darker shadow:
derry cairngorm 060.JPG

Ben Nevis was more obvious:
derry cairngorm 085.JPG

derry cairngorm 072.JPG
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:11 pm

This is a great site for working out what you can see from where: http://www.udeuschle.selfhost.pro/panoramas/makepanoramas_en.htm though it doesn't seem to be working today.

What do people think the best spot is to give you a view of most of Scotland?

I think Ben Macdui would be a good contender: Ben Hope, Morven, Fisherfield, Sgurr na Ciche, Cruachan, Broad Law and the Cheviot are all (in theory at least) visible.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:17 pm

BlackPanther wrote: Not sure if Affric Hills can be seen from the Cairngorms.

Yes, no problem: the distance is only 50-60 miles, though from Macdui they are largely obscured by Braeriach.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:53 am

jmarkb wrote:though it doesn't seem to be working today.

Back up now!

NickyRannoch wrote:North/North West I could see a few jaggier peaks I hadn't expected to see. Would I be able to see Glen Affric/Kintail from there? the distance is no bother just wondered if there would be anything blocking my view. I also reckoned I could see Ben Starav in the far south west, does this sound feasible or was it Glencoe I was seeing?

The Fannichs are visible on a NW bearing at about 70 miles distance. Further west there's nothing in the way of seeing the Strathfarrar and Affric hills either.

Starav isn't visible: it's behind Meall a' Bhuiridh. The Bridge of Orchy hills, Cruachan and the Black Mount are the most prominent hills in that direction.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 am

Had a look on that site now, I reckon it was Cruachan i was seeing and not Starav
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Postby hills » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Some times its not the Munros that are the best viewpoints, some strategically placed hills in scotland give amazing views.

In my opinion the you can see more hills from the Graham, Stob na Cruiche than any other I have come across. Could say the same about the Corbett Meall nan Tairneachan.

Even smaller is the sub2, Meikle Bin, on a clear day you can see Ailsa Craig and the Bass Rock from there. To say nothing about the whole highland line laid out before you, and what about the Lomonds themselves, you can see the Lomond Hills from all over the highlands, it works in reverse.

As for Munros, dont reckon much would beat Schiehallion for sheer number of hills in view. 8)
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:38 pm

I think it depends on what you mean by best (or even most extensive)! If you ask which hill can I see most other hills from on a day with average visibility, say 40 miles, you will get a different answer than for a day with excellent visibility, say 100 miles.

For example, almost all the hills visible from Stob na Cruiche are within 40 miles, except for a small window into the southern Cairngorms.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Sabbathstevie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:21 am

jmarkb wrote:This is a great site for working out what you can see from where: http://www.udeuschle.selfhost.pro/panoramas/makepanoramas_en.htm

Brilliant link! :clap:
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion