walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Bourne to Haystacks

Great Bourne to Haystacks

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:42 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Borne, Haystacks, High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Borne, High Crag, High Stile, Red Pike (Buttermere), Starling Dodd

Date walked: 16/06/2013

Time taken: 7

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have been considering a wild camp in Ennerdale for quite some time with a view of circumnavigating the lake over the surounding mountains. The idea will allow me to knock of some of those difficult to reach Western Fells and reduce the number of trips to achieve the objective, as well of course as experiencing a night on the fells in solitude.

The opportunity arrived and I got my pack kitted out, the bag is heavy but I cannot see how I can reduce the weight without compromise. The tent I have is a Robens and weighs close to 2 Kilo so maybe if I am going to attempt more solo adventures I may have to invest in a lighter model.

I was a little late reaching my destination at the car park below Crag Fell due to hold ups on the wonderful A66 and did not arrive until 12 pm. I was hoping to get there for around 10am, the car park was full and busy as would be expected on a Sunday afternoon and I managed to get parked in the last remaining car space.

My planned route over two days was via Great Bourne to Haystacks with a wild camp and the next day up to Pillar and down to Crag Fell after traversing Caw Fell. As always my wife thinks I am crazy and maybe I am :lol: however I was going to go for it and the weather looked favaourable and forecast to improve.
P1020460.JPG
Ennerdale

There is a great path from the car park towards Bowness knott, where I met lots of people enjoying a pleasant Sunday stroll along the lake shore. My objective was in front of me and looked inviting from here.
P1020461.JPG
Great Bourne and Bowness Knott

After leaving the thriving car park at Bowness Knott a stile is reached which wandrs up the fel and then travels along the fell below the scree line and then up along the ridge. As I climbed the views behind were splendid and the weather was improving by as I went along....This bag is heavy :? lol :roll:

The track becomes faint and two choices are avilable at a fork of the faint track, up to the right looked to steep especially with my extra weight so I opted to follow the path to the left, however very shortly the path did slowly fade away and i therefore made the decision to take the route around the scree. this was also steep and to be honest I was sure there would be an easier route close by, however up I went puffing and blowing quite heavily and had to scramble a little up a steep gully before any respite was had.
P1020463.JPG
My route up

Eventually reaching a path aiming for the summit, time for a rest and a reflection of my route up, it appears I had turned to early up the hill and should have walked to the ridge line where I would have had a much easier passage up here. never mind its not the first time I have done that and know doubt i will do so again.
P1020464.JPG
Looking over Ennerdale to my return route home
P1020472.JPG
Melbreak and Crummock Water
P1020465.JPG
Great Bourne Summit
P1020466.JPG
My next objectives Starling Dodd and red Pike, Gable in the distance

The route from Great Bourne and Starling Dodd over to Red Pike was set out before me and having achieved the hard work I was now looking forward to a wonderful ridge walk. I was not disappointed this is what fell walking is all about, some wonderful views and great walking it was bliss.
P1020468.JPG
Great Bourne from Starling Dodd
P1020473.JPG
Grasmoor and Bleaberry Tarn from red Pike

On reaching High Crag it was time for a coffee and a sandwich as I wasn now feeling tired and still had the esent from High Crag to negotiate and then the climb to Haystacks and my planned wild camp location at Blackbeck Tarn. Whilst soaking up the views which were magnificent i noted some hills in the distance which could only be on the Scottish Borders, I am unsure of what they may be called, Crifell comes into mind, but I am guessing.
P1020475.JPG
Grasmoor from High Crag, with Scottish Hills in distance.
P1020476.JPG
The steep route down from High Crag

My objective was in sight and Iwas looking forward to some pictures of the sunset and sunrise from Haystacks when I dropped my camera onto rocks as I was desending High Crag, it did not sound nice as it landed. After inspection I was unable to operate it properly and ceratinly not able to take any further pictures. My pictures of the sunset were taken with my phone, however I did not want to risk using battery life on my phone and photos were limited. Such is life full of suprises, never mind my camp site was inview, i was looking forward to a restful night and a return over Pillar and friends in the morrow.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Great Bourne to Haystacks

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Glad to see you out again Geoff, and some wonderful views :thumbup: Looked like a fantastic day :D
Could you see the Isle of Man as well?

L-Hiking wrote:due to hold ups on the wonderful A66
Every time we go on the 66 there seems to be hold ups, mainly due to the volume of traffic. We prefer to go up Weardale and then via Alston and Hartside; wrong side of the A66 though for you :(

L-Hiking wrote:After inspection I was unable to operate it properly and certainly not able to take any further pictures.
:shock: Was that your new (relatively) camera?

Hope to see you very soon :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Looked like a fantastic day until the camera incedent :( Great report and pics still Geoff :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 pm

A great range to traverse end to end, LH. Shame about the camera. At least you recovered the photos you'd already taken.

It all sounds like an adventurous outing. Ennerdale, perhaps, has more of a true wild feel to it than some Lakeland valleys.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Glad to see you out again Geoff, and some wonderful views Looked like a fantastic day
Could you see the Isle of Man as well?

SusieThePensioner wrote: Was that your new (relatively) camera?

Hi Susie Thank you No I could not see the Isle of Man, and the camera was my old one....Thankfully :wink:

PS York any day except Mondays :)

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Looked like a fantastic day until the camera incedent Great report and pics still Geoff

Thanks Anthony, thoroughly enjoyed it, even with the heavy bag :lol:

simon-b wrote:A great range to traverse end to end, LH. Shame about the camera. At least you recovered the photos you'd already taken.

Cheers Simon a great trip...some training for me for AnTeallach... :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby DaveB1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Love the pics along the ridge LH. Hope all went well with Pillar a really great two days and closer to the target. Time I did the wild camping bit too! Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:25 pm

DaveB1 wrote:Love the pics along the ridge LH. Hope all went well with Pillar a really great two days and closer to the target. Time I did the wild camping bit too! Dave

Cheers Dave..Give the wild camp a go pal....but make sure you get a light tent :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Postby yellowbelly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Well done Geoff - shame about the camera. Looks like you picked some good weather for it. Trust you to find a "new" route up Great Borne! :lol:
Can we expect a report with no photos from day 2 soon?
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Hewitts:125

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 pm

yellowbelly wrote:Well done Geoff

yellowbelly wrote:Trust you to find a "new" route up Great Borne!

Ha ha Cheers Hugh :lol: :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland