walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Socach and Mullach na Dheiragain from the south

An Socach and Mullach na Dheiragain from the south

Postby haringit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 am

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Affric), Mullach na Dheiragain

Date walked: 07/07/2013

Time taken: 10.75 hours

Ascent: 2003m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

21.5 miles. The longest walk in a few years.
I set off from the layby on the A87 and walked the road to the An Caorann Mor track to Glen Affric. The drive up meant starting the walk quite late in the morning, 10.45 to be precise. The sun was shining and all was looking good. I chose this route because it's shorter by a few miles than the route from the east.
DSCF4126 (640x480).jpg
Loch Cluannie

DSCF4127 (640x480).jpg
An Caorann Mor

The track turns into path a few miles on, and so began my boggy, gazzelle style walk to Glen Affric. Two steps forward, three to the side and juuump! That was the good bits. :shock:
DSCF4131 (640x480).jpg
Ciste Dhubh

DSCF4132 (640x480).jpg
Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan

Was relieved when Alltbeithe Bothy eventually came into view. Crossed the bouncy bridge and found the footpath behind the bothy that climbs upto Coire na Cloiche.
DSCF4134 (640x480).jpg

DSCF4135 (480x640).jpg
Allt na Faing

DSCF4136 (640x480).jpg
Looking back to An Caoranna Mor

The climb to bealach wasn't so bad even in the sunshine although I had used up pretty much all of my water. Not to worry though, i'm missing out Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan and cutting down into Coire nan Dearcag where I should be able to find some good water. An Socach first. I climbed a little and dumped my rucksack out of view. Straight forward walk to the top.
DSCF4139 (640x480).jpg
An Socach's summit with M na D beyond.

I wasn't sure at which point to descend into the corrie for Mullach na Dheiragain from the bealach, had peered over the edge but it looked too dangerous. I'd decided to ascend over Stob Coire na Cloiche and to have another look for a route down.
DSCF4138 (480x640).jpg
Mullach na Dheiragain

DSCF4141 (640x480).jpg
The corrie wall

I didn't get very far, I met another walker on the way down, we stopped for a chat and he
recommended trying a descent pretty much where we stood. He was bang on. I'd no problems getting down from this ridge point and was soon making my way accross the corrie basin.
Some high cloud had moved in, which I didn't mind too much. Had my lunch and topped up with some fresh, spring water then headed up for the ridge on the other side of the corrie. An undulating walk over the sub-top Carn na Cion Dhu. M na D still looked miles off.
DSCF4146 (640x480).jpg
M na D, still a bit to go!

DSCF4149 (640x480).jpg

DSCF4150 (640x480).jpg
On the summit - at last!

DSCF4144 (640x480).jpg
Mullach Fraoch-choire and A'Chrailaig

DSCF4145 (640x480).jpg
Mam Sodhail and Carn Eige.

My sense of direction was shot. Not sure if these were the Glen Shiel hills, I could've sworn I was looking north. :-?
Returned by the same route.
DSCF4148 (640x480).jpg
Decided it was the SW view, but not so sure. Update: it's the Glen Carron and Torridon hills. My original sense of direction was correct. It is a north view.
Last edited by haringit on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
haringit
Mountain Walker

Re: An Socach and Mullach na Dheiragain from the south

Postby Bruno » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:23 pm

My climbing partner and I did this on the 3rd June of this year, except that we did Ceathreamhnan instead of Deiragain. I left Glasgow at 05.15 am and picked her up in Dunblane at 06.00am. We walked in as you did , did the hills and walked out again, same day - finally home in Glasgow at 23.45 pm .
A long day - tho` incredibly satisfying.
Didn`t even have time for a beer at the Clunie Inn!!
Well done friend!!
:clap: :clap:
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby haringit » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Bruno wrote:My climbing partner and I did this on the 3rd June of this year, except that we did Ceathreamhnan instead of Deiragain. I left Glasgow at 05.15 am and picked her up in Dunblane at 06.00am. We walked in as you did , did the hills and walked out again, same day - finally home in Glasgow at 23.45 pm .
A long day - tho` incredibly satisfying.
Didn`t even have time for a beer at the Clunie Inn!!
Well done friend!!
:clap: :clap:

Hahaha, me neither, it did seriously cross my mind though. Once i had my socks off, that was it. :roll:
haringit
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:40 pm

I've still got An Socach to do but not sure to do this route or cycle in from Glen Affric. Don't fancy the boggy section though. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Bruno » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:32 pm

It is boggy - it`s at its very worst after the watershed in An Caorunn Mhor descending to Alltbeithe, where the path becomes several, all equally boggy. Stay as high as you can ( in the altitude sense of the word!! ) on the Mullach Fraoch Choire side and eventually you pick up the track to the wee suspension bridge. In my view the biggest problem is knowing you have to renegotiate this on the walkout - and its all uphill...... :crazy: :lol: :wink: !!!!
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland