walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lords of the Ring: The Four Towers

Lords of the Ring: The Four Towers

Postby laconic surf » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 09/07/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1676m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a day this turned out to be. We knew we were in for a hot day in the Mamores but I don’t think any of us realised just how hot.
There was a wee bit of cloud floating around the glen but this quickly began to burn off. Heading through the forestry, little did we realise this would be last shade to be had for the next 9 hours. As the trees thinned out we were treated to the beauty of the Steall Falls.

First though it was time to negotiate the infamous wire bridge. It was possible to wade in the current conditions but there’s no fun in that. At first glance it looks pretty short – from the safety of the bank that is, when you’re edging across it and it begins to wobble is a different perspective entirely!
Balgonie headed over first

Then me

Then Fife Flyer

Steady son :wink:

We then began the pretty direct climb up to the ridge. At this point FF asks "When we get up onto the ridge is that the hard work over?" Balgonie and I looked at each other and grinned "Don't think so, no" :lol: :lol:
The lungs got a good work out and the sun really began to blaze :shock: Sun cream was slapped on but at least we had some nice views of the Ben behind us.

After a steady plod in the sweltering sun, we finally topped out on An Gearnach. A chance to take in the breath taking views and take on plenty of fluids.

From here we could see the first half of the ring laid out ahead. The top of An Garbhanach and the next 2 munros.

Onwards then to the first scramble of the day. The climb up the Top is done directly up the pinnacle until the peak which is bypassed on an exposed path.
This was great fun and a bit of care was needed. :D

The bypass path and side scramble

Then back on to the peak

The descent was fairly challenging and a few bum shuffles needed for those of us with shorter legs :roll: Then it was probably the easiest climb of the day up to munro number 2 - Stob Coire a' Chairn

From here we could look back at the steep descent we had just completed

Some more sun cream was applied and then it was a reasonably comfortable descent before a fairly brutal climb up to the third munro, Am Bodach. It looked steep but then often when you start climbing it's fine. This was as bad as it looked :lol: There were sections of easy scrambling but the gradient rarely ceased until topping out. We needed a break here, the sun was battering down, but the views were sensational

Summit view across to Glencoe and a smoking Bidean

After a leisurely break for lunch it was time to head for the second half of the ring. All eyes were drawn to the notorious Devil's Ridge in the centre of the photo

The pace quickened slightly as we were all eager to get on the ridge and see how airy it actually was

A quick break and we were off. The heat of the sun was forgotten as we concentrated on our footing as the ridge narrowed. The sense of exposure was superb and to be up there with the stunning views all around they can't be a better way to spend the day :D

We then came to the boulder which sits right on the ridge blocking the path. Thou shall not pass :wink:
The bypass veers to the left and you come to the exposed step. There is a sense of depth as the slope falls far below on the left but a confidently placed boot and we were over and scrambling back up on to the path.

The scrambling finished it was now a case of head down and begin the slog up to the final munro of the day

But first a final look back at the superb Devil's Ridge.

Reaching the top was a relief the cramp and weariness was just beginning to kick in. From this viewpoint you are right up close to the Ben - a stunning place to be

Time now to head down. This, unfortunately, can be described as nothing but tortous. Away from the cooling breeze on the top it felt like the heat was cranked up to a whole new level. The scree was a nightmare and the steepness never let up. We had to make frequent stops and I was really suffering in those temperatures as the water ran dry. At one point, if I had access to a gun I would have happily shot myself :lol:

Thankfully, memories of that descent soon faded. What a day and what a route. I'll be back to do this again -some not quite so sunny day :wink:
Last edited by laconic surf on Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Lords of the Ring: The Four Towers

Postby old danensian » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:15 pm

Well done Lucas and Co - you're really into collecting ridges at the moment.

Fantastic conditions well told in words and photos - looks like you made mincemeat of the Devil on his ridge

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby balgonie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Great report laconic to what was a great day :clap:
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby yellowbelly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Nice one Luc, great effort. Little did you know at the time but I was on the CMD arête on the same day.
Yep it sure was hot :lol: . But at least we had a couple of places to refill water bottles.
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Malckyb » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Great report and pics,looks like a brilliant day. :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Glad you got the views looked like a good day
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby kev_russ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:21 pm

Epic stuff Luc :) I need tae get Tuesdays off work like!
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 pm

yellowbelly wrote:Yep it sure was hot :lol: . But at least we had a couple of places to refill water bottles.

That is the major problem with ridge walking, nowhere to stop for a refill, can't have it always though, just means you have to be prepared, 3 bottles of diluted juice & a bottle of water later & my rucksack weighed absolutely nothing :lol: :lol:

Great report Lucas & some superb photo's :clap: :clap: You didn't get my good side on the steel bridge :lol:
I tried sending photo's via photobucket, but either that is rubbish or it could be operator error, or even a bit of both :)
I will post some of my photo's soon 8)
That has to go down as one of the best days on the hills apart from the descent :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Here are some of the photo's that failed to arrive - only took 245, I'd be here all night if I posted them all :lol: :lol:

DSCF1618.JPG
What was Andy talking about that was that big?

DSCF1619.JPG

DSCF1620.JPG
Gorilla's in the mist

DSCF1622.JPG

DSCF1624.JPG
The falls

DSCF1627.JPG
Andy posing for the camera....

DSCF1631.JPG
The wire sideways on

DSCF1635.JPG
Lucas with that determined look

DSCF1653.JPG
Lucas really looking forward to the ascent

DSCF1656.JPG
Looking back down to where we had been

DSCF1661.JPG
Look no hands, we didn't have enough time for me to climb up there

DSCF1668.JPG
Andy doing the technical stuff

DSCF1671.JPG
2nd summit from first one, sorry guys didn't get your names. You were a tad warmer next time we met up at the car park.

DSCF1675.JPG
How did we navigate through that pile of rubble

DSCF1677.JPG
Andy planning the way ahead

DSCF1680.JPG
Zig-zag

DSCF1682.JPG
How did we descend down that?

DSCF1691.JPG
The next ridge

DSCF1702.JPG
Devils ridge

DSCF1708.JPG
Concentration

DSCF1709.JPG
Ridge walk at it's best

DSCF1724.JPG
What a sight

DSCF1727.JPG
Final summit via Devils ridge

DSCF1736.JPG
What a path

DSCF1741.JPG
Looks pretty pointy from this angle
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby raykilhams » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 pm

You are so right , Laconic , coming down that scree is a nightmare , probably the most strenuous part of the walk ( we did see a group of German walkers trying to make their way up on the scree sliding back with every step , now that was pure sadism), did this last Sep. in superb conditions , great walk.
Enjoyed your pics brought back never forgotten memories....thanks
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Ibex » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Looks fantastic. Great photo's too.
Absolutely love ridge walks. Always get great views. Can't wait to do the AE ridge in August.
That ring walk looks great too, but I don't much fancy the wire bridge.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby laconic surf » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:24 pm

old danensian wrote:Well done Lucas and Co - you're really into collecting ridges at the moment.

Fantastic conditions well told in words and photos - looks like you made mincemeat of the Devil on his ridge

OD

Thanks Nigel,
This is just the weather for ridges :D This was a beauty

balgonie wrote:Great report laconic to what was a great day :clap:

Cheers mate, great to catch up. See you again next month :thumbup:

yellowbelly wrote:Nice one Luc, great effort. Little did you know at the time but I was on the CMD arête on the same day.
Yep it sure was hot :lol: . But at least we had a couple of places to refill water bottles.

Thanks Hugh, would have given you a wee wave had i known you were across the way. Planning to do the CMD soon but will wait until you tourists have headed home for the summer :wink:

Malckyb wrote:Great report and pics,looks like a brilliant day. :)

Cheers Malcky, a top day indeed
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Postby laconic surf » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Tomsie wrote:Glad you got the views looked like a good day

Cheers Tomsie, hope you had a good 'un yoursel :D

kev_russ wrote:Epic stuff Luc :) I need tae get Tuesdays off work like!

You do Kev! This was even hotter than our traverse of Oss to Lui :crazy: Catch up soon mate

Fife Flyer wrote:
yellowbelly wrote:Yep it sure was hot :lol: . But at least we had a couple of places to refill water bottles.

That is the major problem with ridge walking, nowhere to stop for a refill, can't have it always though, just means you have to be prepared, 3 bottles of diluted juice & a bottle of water later & my rucksack weighed absolutely nothing :lol: :lol:

Great report Lucas & some superb photo's :clap: :clap: You didn't get my good side on the steel bridge :lol:
I tried sending photo's via photobucket, but either that is rubbish or it could be operator error, or even a bit of both :)
I will post some of my photo's soon 8)
That has to go down as one of the best days on the hills apart from the descent :lol: :lol:

Great day out Martin, top photos too. All the best

raykilhams wrote:You are so right , Laconic , coming down that scree is a nightmare , probably the most strenuous part of the walk ( we did see a group of German walkers trying to make their way up on the scree sliding back with every step , now that was pure sadism), did this last Sep. in superb conditions , great walk.
Enjoyed your pics brought back never forgotten memories....thanks

That descent was the stuff of nightmares - to be fair it was the heat as much as anything. Fantastic round though isn't it? 8)

Ibex wrote:Looks fantastic. Great photo's too.
Absolutely love ridge walks. Always get great views. Can't wait to do the AE ridge in August.
That ring walk looks great too, but I don't much fancy the wire bridge.

Cheers, Good luck on the AE. Definitely recommend this one next time your north of the border :D The Bridge looks bad but in that heat falling in would not have been all that bad :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:50 pm

A great choice of route for such a day 8) . I remember that descent as well :roll:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Bod » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:24 am

That was great Lucas....it's a while now since I walked the Ring of Steall, though been seeing it from all angles in the last year or so :)
Well done...
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland