walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lui

Ben Lui

Postby Jan Vi0la » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 01/07/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Lui
Or
A Pensioners Day Out!

I was very apprehensive about this mountain after reading the various accounts of river/rail crossings and boggy forest tracks! So I decided to wait for a dry spell, and got my wish with Andy winning Wimbledon! Thursday July 11th saw me a little hesitant, but booted and ready to go, and taking a leaf out of Pollyh33’s book I tagged along (behind) a group of four young lads and a dog (who were off to bag 4 Munro’s), and watched where they crossed the river and railway. Easy peasy, phew first two hurdles managed in two minutes! The lads and dog disappeared off, and I sauntered through the trees with a cool breeze and bird song for company.

The bogs were soon in evidence and one huge area which took me along time to circumnavigate, lived up to my fears. On the way down I found an excellent by pass on the north side of the track, sadly couldn’t see it on way up. However I managed to find the little cairn where the tracks diverge and after a few more bogs emerged at the gate in the deer fence. I decided to head up the grass to Walk Highland’s “more interesting” NE ridge, this was hard going but there is a faint track to follow most of the way up the slope. By now the sun was high and it was very hot (26c), but eventually I made the summit at just about the same time as a young couple who had walked up from Tyndrum (yikes!), we chatted away and it transpired that Tom and Esther are both musicians - pianists at the RCS – so as I am also a musician we had a good time talking shop! I have txd Robert D!

I should have realised that a long stop at the top = cramp on way down. So decided against doing Beinn a’Chleibh (apart from anything else it was still roasting hot) and followed the not very obvious track down the corrie to the deer fence, and retraced my tired footsteps (avoiding the big-bog!) back to the car park. Was well pleased with my day and shall return to visit my missed top.
Jan Vi0la
Scrambler

Munros:212   Corbetts:38
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Ben Lui

Postby GillC » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Well done, I must say,,the river and rail points at the beginning make me wary of heading in Lui's direction too. mayby next week, if this spell of weather continues. Fab job! :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Ben Lui

Postby Jan Vi0la » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 am

GillC wrote:Well done, I must say,,the river and rail points at the beginning make me wary of heading in Lui's direction too. mayby next week, if this spell of weather continues. Fab job! :clap:

Thanks GillC! You'll do it easily, the river is very low just now. I just splashed through it, didn't bother trying balance on any stones. Think I am going to tackle the 3 eastern Munro's on Ben lawers this week.
Jan Vi0la
Scrambler

Munros:212   Corbetts:38
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland