walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Keen - First Munro!

Mount Keen - First Munro!

Postby Sean0510 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 11/07/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our first Munro! I can't believe we managed it! Thank you to all who gave their advice on the mountain. Even though most said it was a relatively easy munro, I would have to say - in the scorching sun, far from easy!

I have now experienced sunburn like never before. The ascent would've been pretty straightforward if the weather was a bit cooler but having said that, it meant even more to reach the summit. :D

After failing miserably last year trying from Glen Tanar side, we attempted from Glen Esk. It really was a beautiful walk along the open glen. After around an hour on a flat surface, we began to ascend at a rather steep rate. This began just after passing a stunning little house just after the Queen's Well.

Halfway through the climb, we did contemplate giving up and turning back around but we came across a little waterfall type that we used to cool ourselves down - well needed! Afterwards, with a lot more rests than normal due to the heat, we powered on and reached the summit where we timed it well with another pair appearing a few minutes behind us from Glen Tanar - where they told us that it was a nice walk as they were shaded for some of it due to the forest part of the walk - Yet again, Sean makes a good choice from the open side! :lol:

It is fair to say that I don't think I will ever get tired of taking in the views from the summit of any mountain. Simply amazing.

As I tick another mountain off the list, I notice that all that is left is Munro's.. great :lol: Always love a challenge!

Attached a few select photos of the day.
1.JPG
2.JPG
2a.JPG
3.JPG
3a.JPG
4.JPG
First glimpse of the summit
5.JPG
5a.JPG
6.JPG
2 tracks to the summit.
7.JPG
7a.JPG
Summit peeking over the top
8.JPG
Can someone let me know what this means?
10a.JPG
Best feeling in the world!
11.JPG
Looking over to Lochnagar... Someday I'll be standing on top of it :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Sean0510 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sean0510
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Mount Keen - First Munro - Worst Sunburn!

Postby haringit » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:52 pm

Well done you two! I imagine you got a lot of reflection from the path too.
haringit
Mountain Walker

Postby denfinella » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Well done! Hope you took enough water. Haha - I can assure you, having done Mount Keen from Glen Tanar last weekend, there's still plenty of open ground coming from that direction too.

I'm not sure, but the "B" stone might stand for "Ballater", if that's where the Mounth Road (which is the track up Mount Keen until the fork) heads for.

I'm a few days ahead of you in the sunburn process... my skin has now reached the peeling stage :crazy:
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby bar72 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:07 am

well done for not abandoning the ascent. sometimes you have to push yourself to keep going but the rewards of the summit views and the feeling of achievement are worth the pain )

Mayer & Dreish from Glen Doll next?
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Fionas:70   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby Sean0510 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks for the comments folks! And for answering the query about the B :lol: Was fairly chuffed to reach the top, and I can say it's not one I'll be doing again in a hurry :lol: Sunburn is beginning to fade slightly and it's not as sore so that's good news as well :)

I had thought about Mayer for next but instead, I think I'm will take a simpler one and go with Hunt Hill. Prepare myself for next Munro. What about yourself? Any trips coming up?
Sean0510
Mountain Walker

Postby RicKamila » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Well done you two :thumbup:

Lovely photos, the hills look superb with the patches of purple amongst the summery greens don't they. I think we'll do Mount Keen one day from the same direction, but maybe on a cooler day :lol:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Well done on your first Munro, it sounds like you really enjoyed it, despite the heat and the hard work. I think all hill walkers get taught a lesson by the sun at some point. We go prepared for wind, rain and cold, but then get to learn that sun cream and a hat are essential too.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby gmr82 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Well done on your first! Its nice was you finally have a 'Munro' appear next to your name 8) . This was my second in similiar conditions, though I hit the top at 8.30am so didn't need to worry about sunburn :lol: . Hunt Hill is high up on my list for that area too. I see you've done them all ready but have you considered taking in the Bennachie subs, but all in one go on a longer route? Great place for training with so many different options for distance/ascent and so on. Of course you may want to go for a new hill instead but if they are nearby....
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Sean0510 wrote:Can someone let me know what this means?

This is one of a number of stones marking the old county boundary. We had a discussion about it on here
a while back http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24949 but we never really discovered what the B stands for.

Anyway, well done on you first Munro: hope it's one of many! Don't forget to pack the sunscreen next time. :oops:
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby morag1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Well done on your first Munro, hope the sunburn eases off soon :D

I am fascinated by that stone with the letter B, because I am a regular visitor to Glen Tanar, and there are several marked stones all over the estate. They were placed there by William Cunliffe Brooks who owned the land at one time, and Mount Keen, or at least the approach via Glen Tanar, belongs to the estate.

Some of these stones simply have letters or numbers carved onto them, others are very evocative and have pieces of poetry inscribed on them.
- the Bonnie Birken Tree
- Ceud Mille Failte
I think there are 13 stones in all and they were placed at specific poi nts around the estate, especially at wells, where in the past travellers would stop for a rest and a drink

I included some photos of the stones in my report "Autumn in Glen Tanar" if you want to see what they look like. It could be your stone was placed there because there used to be a well there or it was a stopping point for those crossing the Mounth. I would love to know the real story behind them :D
morag1

Postby RicKamila » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Maybe it is a B for Boundary between estates?
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby morag1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:34 pm

It could be Rik, come to think of it there is also a stone on the estate marked B, I'm sure it's identical to the one in the photo so maybe William cunliffe brooks was simply marking his territory :problem:

I wish I'd paid more attention at the time, when I'm next there I will have a proper look and maybe ask for more information at the Rangers office :thumbup:
morag1

Postby Sean0510 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:52 pm

The Boundary idea would make sense really. It was the only one I saw that day. It's in a bit of an odd place :) Never mind, I'll keep a look out for others on many more walks :D
Sean0510
Mountain Walker

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Sean0510 wrote:It's in a bit of an odd place :)

If you look at the 1:25000 map, you can see that the boundary line actually runs south from the summit for about 100m before turning to the west again. The stone is right at this corner.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sean0510 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:12 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Sean0510 wrote:It's in a bit of an odd place :)

If you look at the 1:25000 map, you can see that the boundary line actually runs south from the summit for about 100m before turning to the west again. The stone is right at this corner.

Ah brill, I'll be sure to check that out when I get a moment, thanks :)
Sean0510
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland