walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Bhuide (Glen Lyon) & Stuchd An Lochain - Cleg City

Meall Bhuide (Glen Lyon) & Stuchd An Lochain - Cleg City

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 12/07/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18.9 km

Ascent: 1283m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another day which promises wall to wall sunshine, high temperatures and little in the way of a cooling breeze so Factor 50 and bug spray packed and ready.

Arrived at Loch an Daimh at around 9.30AM by which time the temp was already up to 73 degrees.

Decided to do Meall Buidhe first so set off at 9.45AM cursing the fact that although I had 2 litres of juice on board I had also forgotten an additional 2 1litre bottles of water I had left in the fridge. :(

2 Parking.jpg
Plenty parking spaces

1 Start.jpg
Start of the track

Leaving the dam and the loch behind the track climbs steadily on a fairly easy gradient which is good as it's warm work even this early on in the day.

3 Loch.jpg

4 Loch.jpg

5 Loch.jpg

6 Hill 2.jpg
Target 2 - Stuchd an Lochain

Whilst meandering through some minor peat hags I managed to lose the track but the walking remained easy on short grass until I picked up the track again. I could see that this hill can probably get a bit boggy but this is probably about as easy as it gets as the ground is bone dry.

Once up on to the wide ridge it's about a mile over to the summit and thankfully there is a breeze once on top of the hill.

10 Summit Ridge.jpg
Heading for the summit

9 Summit.jpg
Getting closer

7 Summit.jpg
Summit

8 Summit.jpg
The route back

I loved the ridge walk over to the summit with great views down Loch Rannoch, over to Rannoch Station and over towards Glen Coe.

The walk back was fast but it was noticeable once below the ridge line how hot it was and even heading downhill was hot and sweaty.

12.jpg

11 Loch.jpg
Back at the loch

Arriving back at the car I was in two minds about whether or not to do the second hill as the first hill was harder work than it should have been due to the heat but what the hell, I'm here, might as well just get on with it.

Leaving the car park there is a short tarmac section down to a gate below the dam then through some woods till the road reaches the side of the loch. At a cairn the track starts and heads parallel with the loch gaining height slowly.

14.jpg
The easy bit

The track then turns and heads directly uphill on a steep and fairly relentless gradient and in the heat I don't mind admitting it was bloomin hard and slow work. It felt like it took forever before the track took a 90 degree turn followed by a short gradual climb before a further steep climb. I could now see the summit about a mile away and the walking was far easier (and the best bit.............there was a hint of a breeze).

My jelly legs started to recover, the views opened out and all was well with the world again.

20.jpg
Summit in view

21.jpg

One final climb and the summit is reached, time for a break and a warm sandwich.

18 Summit.jpg

After about 15 minutes on the summit it was time to head off back down the track.

19.jpg

17.jpg
Loch An Daimh from the summit

Half way along the ridge I stopped to top up the factor 50 and carry out my 4th spray of the day to try and keep the clegs at bay. The sods had got me around my wrists, upper arms, neck and one had drawn blood on the tip of my finger. Perfect weather for them today and probably the worst day I've had for bites since a trip to Glen Affric 3 years ago (when I promised myself I would never go back there again in summer). I met one couple from the Lake District, the lady had a big heavy jacket on which she said was to try and protect her from being bitten - I think I would have boiled if I had worn a warm jacket, I couldn't even consider long sleeves.

15.jpg
Looking east down Glen Lyon

Because of the steepness of the descent a bit of care was required as it would have been easy to take a head first dive down the hill. Once back by the loch side it was a short 5 minute walk back to the car.

13.jpg

I've seen a few reports from people who described these two hills as being a bit boring but I really enjoyed them and the views on a good day make the effort worthwhile. Probably a bit too warm for me and I really did suffer in the heat. If I was doing these hills again I would do Stuchd an Lochain first and get the long pull up from the loch done while I had some strength in my legs.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Meall Bhuide (Glen Lyon) & Stuchd An Lochain - Cleg City

Postby gmr82 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:14 pm

Nice report & photos Gordon. I'm looking forward to seeing the lochans from up high, though the clegs are putting me off now!

Gordie12 wrote:Decided to do Meall Buidhe first so set off at 9.45AM cursing the fact that although I had 2 litres of juice on board I had also forgotten an additional 2 1litre bottles of water I had left in the fridge. :(

Haha its always the same. I've not done it yet but the amount of times I have everything meticulously packed, all set to leave then realise the walking boots are still stowed away!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi gmr82

Were you out this weekend????

Never left the walking boots behind but last year when I went to put on my walking socks (near Dalwhinnie) I discovered I had taken slipper socks instead. Decided just to go for it, blisters were quick to put in an appearance :(
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby goth_angel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 am

Now wondering what time you came down off Stuchd an Lochain as we started up it at 2.15 that day. I completely agree that first climb is a real lung buster and in that heat it was bloody hard work!

Nice walk though. 8)
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 pm

goth_angel wrote:Now wondering what time you came down off Stuchd an Lochain as we started up it at 2.15 that day. I completely agree that first climb is a real lung buster and in that heat it was bloody hard work!

Nice walk though. 8)

Hi goth_angel

Don't suppose you were on the steepest section of the climb up from the loch when some old git was heading down and stopped to tell you that the gradient would soon get easier (if so, did you believe him??).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby gmr82 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi gmr82

Never left the walking boots behind but last year when I went to put on my walking socks (near Dalwhinnie) I discovered I had taken slipper socks instead. Decided just to go for it, blisters were quick to put in an appearance :(

Glenshee 6, not really the most inspiring but 6 nevertheless.

Oh well at least you never took your slippers instead of the boots :lol:
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:13 pm

gmr82 wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:Hi gmr82

Glenshee 6, not really the most inspiring but 6 nevertheless.

Oh well at least you never took your slippers instead of the boots :lol:

Just checked to see what hills you did as I do them slightly different from most (every year).

I go from Auchallater up Glen Callater to Loch Callater then;

Carn an Tuirc
Cairn of Claise
Tom Buidhe
Tolmount
Cairn Bannoch
Carn ant Sagairt Mor

This brings me back down to Loch Callater and then I just retrace my steps back to Auchallater.

Must enjoy it to do it every year................

Sounds like we were both on so called boring Munros!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:27 am

Hi again Gordie, that was a day for nothing too major right enough, heat makes a hell of a difference does it not! I forgot about mentioning the 'Clegs' in my report, they were just as bad at Glen Spean :crazy: . Ta for posting photographs of Meall Bhuide as it was low cloud and deep snow when I did it in 1991, wow that's a long time ago. The visibility was so bad you could not see the dam until you nearly touch it :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby goth_angel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Gordie12 wrote:
goth_angel wrote:Now wondering what time you came down off Stuchd an Lochain as we started up it at 2.15 that day. I completely agree that first climb is a real lung buster and in that heat it was bloody hard work!

Nice walk though. 8)

Hi goth_angel

Don't suppose you were on the steepest section of the climb up from the loch when some old git was heading down and stopped to tell you that the gradient would soon get easier (if so, did you believe him??).

Hi,

Yep, that was me, my husband was the guy with the beard & saltire buff who was making rather more rapid progress! :oops:

I did believe you about the gradient (and knew from looking at the map) though it was a long time coming in that heat!
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Really enjoyed your report and lovely photos. Meall Buidhe will always be special to me as it was my first and only munro so far. I couldn't sit and appreciate the views at the summit the same as I almost got blown away.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:31 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi again Gordie, that was a day for nothing too major right enough, heat makes a hell of a difference does it not! I forgot about mentioning the 'Clegs' in my report, they were just as bad at Glen Spean :crazy: . Ta for posting photographs of Meall Bhuide as it was low cloud and deep snow when I did it in 1991, wow that's a long time ago. The visibility was so bad you could not see the dam until you nearly touch it :lol:

Definitely different conditions from your experience Rod!!

A bit embarrassing................mid July and 1st Munro of the year!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Really enjoyed your report and lovely photos. Meall Buidhe will always be special to me as it was my first and only munro so far. I couldn't sit and appreciate the views at the summit the same as I almost got blown away.

Hi again Sarah86

Shame you couldn't take in the view, I really enjoyed taking my time along the ridge and looking at the views north and west (and with the breeze on top there were no clegs which was an added bonus)
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:38 pm

goth_angel wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:

Nice walk though. 8)

Hi goth_angel

Hi,

Yep, that was me, my husband was the guy with the beard & saltire buff who was making rather more rapid progress! :oops:

I did believe you about the gradient (and knew from looking at the map) though it was a long time coming in that heat!

Hopefully the same weather this weekend but with a bit more of a breeze as that is about as hot as I would want to be on a climb - very, very hard work.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland