walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Ring of Steall

The Ring of Steall

Postby mountainboy12 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:03 am

Route description: The Ring of Steall, Mamores

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Stob Coire a' Chàirn

Date walked: 13/07/2013

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1676m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My walks on The Devils Ridge and The Ring Of Steall from Glen Nevis
We started at the car park and started climbing at 8 and passed a sign saying "beware danger of death"
we walked on a very stony path to the rope bridge and a waterfall i had the choice of going over rocks or taking the rope bridge, i picked the rope bridge then my dads friend Mark had to come over and he had walking sticks, so he picks to throw them over and the end of a stick came off and landed in the water and it sunk, we never seen it again.
We got to the waterfall and we were walking over rocks beside the waterfall.
We came down from the waterfall and went down over a bit of bog and we started climbing again.
I got to a small white cairn and i was kinda over the clouds and i started climbing again.
I got to the top of the first hill in about 2 hours and i had to wait on my brother and my dad because they were going slow. (An Gearanach 3,221ft/982m)
We walked along to the ridge where me and my brother had to be roped over the rocks we came down from there and started climbing again.
I got to the top of the other hill (Stob Coire a'Chairn 3,218ft/981m)
We had came down that one and went over a bit of a ridge and got to the next munro. We had alot of scambling all the way to the top!
We got to the top of the 3rd munro (Am Bodach 3,385ft/1032m)
We came down there and came up to a cancelled munro now a munro top but we never stayed long up there (Sgurr an Lubhair 3,284ft/1001m)
We came down and started climbing The Devil's Ridge me and my brother took the by-pass path at that bit my dad went over the rock and my dads friend felt like doing it twice.
We got to the top of the last munro of the day (Sgurr a'Mhaim 3,606ft/1099m)
We were climbing down the hill and a rescue helicopter landed on top of Ben Nevis i dont know why but it landed twice so... i dont know
We got to the bottom of the hill and walked back to the car park to get the car drive back to the corner bit so We could pick up my brother and dads friend!
Danger ahead by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Me on the rope bridge by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
The Steall Falls by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Ross & me on An Gearanach by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
The first ridge of the day by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Stob Coire a`Chairn by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Ross on his 50th Munro with me at Stob Coire a`Chairn by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Am Bodach by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Me & Ross at Am Bodach summit by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
The Devils Ridge ahead by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Ben Nevis & friends by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Its getting closer by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Stob Ban by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
On the Devils Ridge by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Crossing the gap, bypass path to the right by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Looking back at the Devils Ridge by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Everyone at the final summit, Sgurr a`Mhaim by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
Rescue helecopter landing on Ben Nevis by marc.pattullo, on Flickr
mountainboy12
Stravaiging

Munros:260   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:7   

Re: The Ring of Steall

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:42 am

Some great pictures you have there, and looks like you all had a whole lot of fun up there. I know what you mean about the low cloud coming and going I had the same in Glen Shiel, great day all the same. At this rate your going to hit your ton this year! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:03 am

Looks like you got a great day for it. I was on Sgurr a' Mhaim a few weeks ago and liked the look of the Devil's Ridge but my pal is recovering from ankle injury so we didn't go any further. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Looked to be a great day out and some cracking photos of the ridge - well done all - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby soapy27 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:50 am

Great report and photos there Marc well done :clap:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland