walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon Horseshoe beaten by two stents

Glen Lyon Horseshoe beaten by two stents

Postby Second chance » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 15/07/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Preamble to title - Looking back to last year its hard to imagine that I was unable to walk a 200 meters without having to stop and rest. I was suffering from acute Angina and it was gradually stopping me hillwalking and doing other things. However in August last I had Stents fitted to one of my heart arteries by some great guys at the ERI, and I feel like a new man. Since then I have managed to get back to Hillwalking with a vengeance. ref my previous trip reports. ps. Hence my Walkhighlands nickname.... Second Chance. However up till now I have tried to curtail my Munro activities to the easier and shorter climbs - yesterday this all changed I managed to get round the Glen Lyon Horseshoe without any difficulty and what a great day I had.

Weather and conditions. - Light cloud, sometimes dropping below summits. Sunny intervals. Light winds, but very strong on summits. Ground conditions very dry and dusty. Temp was mild but you needed a light windstopper jacket etc.

Arrived at the Invervar car park at around 8:30 am and quickly got booted up on my way the forest trail. I was following the Walkhighlands guide and doing the horseshoe in a clockwise route. The pull up the forest trail and up to the iron bridge was ok and introduced me to what I would see lots of on this walk - Rocks and Stones by the barrow load !!!!! This in places made difficult and tricky walking if you wanted to prevent a sprain or worse.
The approach and ascent of Carn Gorm is mostly grassy and a fair slog (3373ft). Once on top the wind was so strong it would have knocked you over if not careful.
1. Glen Lyon while ascending Carn Gorm (800x600).jpg
Glen Lyon on Carn Gorm approach

Leaving the summit you are presented with a splendid view of the remaining 3 Munros still to climb and laid out before you.
2. Panorama of The three remaining Munros (800x352).jpg
Panorama of Meall Garbh, Carn Mairg, and Meall na Alghean

The walk to Meall Garbh is straight forward and easy with some great views of Loch Rannoch. I spotted a Skylark sitting on a big stone, a vary rare sight indeed. The summit of Meall Garbh resembles a scrapyard with all the old metal posts lying around and forming part of the summit cairn. Not impressed !
Pressing on and half way there the clouds parted and the views improved. The Lawers Group looked impressive as did Carn Gorm and Meall Garbh.
3. The Lawers Group (800x600).jpg
The Lawers Group from Meall a' Bharr
4. Panorama From Meal a' Bharr, L-R The Lawers Group, Carn Gorm, and Meall Garbh (800x323).jpg
Panorama of Lawers group, Carn Gorm, and Meall Garbh

As you approach Carn Mairg the views of Schiehallion improve, and I must admit from this angle its the best position ever. The whale shape and perfect pointed top are a match with any views of Buachaille Etive More -Stob Dearg any day.
5. Schiehallion while approaching Carn Mairg (800x600).jpg
Schiehallion from Carn Mairg

The approach to Carn Mairg takes an avoidable route around a very large cluster of boulders that were left by the ice age glaciers. Once on top the views would have been great but the clouds decided to descend again and snubbed me out.
I chose to take the path from the summit middle that takes the direct route down into the Bealach below. Okay ... but very steep and rocky. If doing this again I would choose a easier/ less demanding route.
The walk across the bealach to Meall na Alghean is easy and so was the climb. Not so easy was finding the path off the hill that takes you back Invervar ??
6. Looking back Meall na Alghean L-R, Carn Gorm, Meall Garbh, and Carn Mairg (800x600).jpg
Looking back from Meall na Alghean to Carn Gorm, Meall Garbh, and Carn Mairg

Once located on the path it was just a case of following it back to the car park.
I reckon I could have shaved an hour of this trip, but why go hillwalking if you can't stop and stare at the awesome sights and sounds that our hobby provides for us. Hope you enjoy the report/photos as much as I did doing the walk and writing it up.
Second chance
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   

Re: Glen Lyon Horseshoe beaten by two stents

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:26 pm

well done second chance, and hurrah for the NHS!!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby GillC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Fantastic stuff,, I LOVE it when people take a firm grasp of a second chance. Well done you on not letting it hold you back. :clap: Lovely pics too,,I did this in very windy/claggy conditions a couple of years ago.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby haringit » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:35 pm

Well done Second Chance! :clap: It's a great walk around these four, one of my most invigourating munro walks. I remember the cairn you spoke of, lots of metal fenceposts stacked together like an unignitable bonfire. :lol:
haringit
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Well done that fella :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Bruno » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:11 pm

Good Man!!
If only all our patients would have your attitude!
Wishing you many happy hill days to come
Iain :clap: :clap: :wink:
Bruno
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:117
Fionas:29   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Tomsie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:22 pm

Well done on getting back out there and enjoying the day hope you keep getting the good weather :)
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland