walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart... And now just one remains...

Knoydart... And now just one remains...

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Luinne Bheinn, Meall Buidhe (Knoydart)

Date walked: 14/07/2013

Time taken: 10.7 hours

Distance: 38.9 km

Ascent: 2778m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I felt like a good hoof; been a while since I've been in the hills proper and work has taken over a little too much for my liking... So the mountains were calling...

I've three left in Knoydart... I debated options... My walking partner was away; my wife to be not able to take time off; and Monty hadn't replied... It would be some finish starting at Kinloch Hourn and doing the lot in one day... That appealed... We'll see, I'd definitely like a nice sunny finish and the forecast was a 60% chance of cloud free munros...

I set of at 4:45 and was walking by 7:30... The fist part of the path along Loch Beag was picturesque... And I was enjoying it... Not a soul in sight, and no mobile reception which would remain the case all day... For the geeks in you I was also testing Viewranger on my iPhone, a new app that you can buy OS maps to accompany...

Knoydart 001.jpg
The Path along the Loch Beag

Along the Loch I just lost myself in various thoughts... I'd scattered my dogs ashes in The Lost Valley in Glencoe the previous day; and I was thinking she'd love this walk...

Knoydart 002.jpg
Halfway to Barrisdale...

In an hour and half I'd made the beach along the track to Barrisdale... The tide was in so the beach wasn't up to much... But all was good... So isolated... There were a couple of boats fishing in the Loch but other than that nothing...

Knoydart 003.jpg
Barrisdale... With Ladhar Bheinn in the Clag...

I'd opted for an ascent straight up the northern face of Luinne Bheinn... It was steep and painful, and from sea level it was 940 metres straight up... Pathless, in long grass... Ouch, where had my hill legs gone... Note to self, don't venture into Knoydart without your walking legs!!

Knoydart 004.jpg
The Cape Wrath Trail - I think... And where I left the path...

In the few glimpses of the landscape I had, it was gorgeous... Though the walk I completed mainly in the clag...

Knoydart 005.jpg
A glimpse of a special landscape...

I knocked off the two munros... There's a fairly good path linking them... So I clearly didn't take the normal ascent haha...

Knoydart 006.jpg
More of the landscape...

And then the moment of truth... I was at the high point of Mam Barrisdale... Did I ascend Ladhar Bheinn and get the round compleat... I debated... 4km and 550 metres of ascent... Hmmmm Definitely doable... Even though by now it was 3:00 I figured I had enough light.... I started up... I paused after a few metres... THe wind had picked up, and it was claggy at the top... No I decided, this isn't how I want to finish this greatest of journeys... I imagined myself on the summit in the sun with a beer... There's no point in leaving one of the most beautiful hills till last and then not seeing it... What price I'll end up here in the clag anyway haha...

Decision made... It'll be another 15 km back to the car anyway... And I've covered 24km already... So I head down... And typical, the sun comes out haha...

Knoydart 008.jpg
Finally some sun on the descent to Barrisdale...

I look back at my ascent route, I went up Luiine Bheinn on the left hand side of this picture... In hindsight I'd go up to Mam Barrisdale and ascend from there, there is a path... Though it's not marked on my map...

Knoydart 009.jpg
Looking back at Luinne Bheinn

I take a last look back at Ladhar Bheinn, and wonder when I'll be back...

Knoydart 010.jpg
Ladhar Bheinn... My journey will finish here...

I also wander down to the loch side and speak to some people in the hut. I wonder if there's a boat down Loch Beag... That would be good for the final trip; and save a good 8 km in terms of carrying the party food down the loch haha... Alas, no boat... There used to be one the lady says... But no longer...

Knoydart 011.jpg
Ladhar Bheinn again...

I walk back along the loch, drive home, and have a chinese... And that's it; just one red pin left...

Knoydart.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Knoydart... And now just one remains...

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Enjoyed your report and great pictures - took me back to my trip to Knoydart - an amazing place (also remember the long long walk back to kinlochhourn !)
wilkiemurray

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:36 pm

Well done, Andrew, glad to see you're almost there!
I enjoyed your report and some lovely photos :D
andrewdoggett wrote:I'd scattered my dogs ashes in The Lost Valley in Glencoe the previous day; and I was thinking she'd love this walk...
This gave me a lump in my throat.........I'm sure she was there with you in spirit and, ready for your final one.
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Knoydart keeps cropping up,,,it 's a sign,, and one I want to take up,, hoping to get up that way over the winter for some solo walking. What a lovely place to spend some time thinking about your wee dog, im sure she's with you on your travels. :)
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:11 pm

And now there is just one,and then the flatlands will call you.

Had a lump in my throat when you said you scattered Wiskys ashes in The Lost Valley there can be no finer resting place for your friend.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:52 am

Hi Andrew, hope you have a very special day come your return to Ladhar Bheinn. You deserve the most beautiful of days too, but how about a handful of corbetts too just to keep your mind off completing and wondering what you will do next :D :D :lol:
ps...thoughts with you on your day to the Lost Valley, happy memories :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby ianaird » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Good choice leaving Ladhar Bheinn for a good day, cracking hill in a stunning place.
Take the tent and really enjoy it!! :D
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland